Train Le Havre to Paris 7:58a doable?

mcgraiha

We will be on the Celebrity Infinity docked in Le Havre at 7:00 a.m. on October 2nd. I reserved round trip train tickets to Paris for the day as we are docked overnight but have a tour leaving from the ship the next day. I chose the 7:58a departure train. From what I've read, the station is less than 2mi from port---does this seem doable? The next train puts us back another 2hrs and we have to return on the 7:48p train.

Maybe yes and maybe no. At that time of day it is no more then a 10 min taxi ride from the port to the station, but the question is will you be able to get a taxi to take you to the station. Most of the taxis will be looking for much more lucrative fares and will refuse the short haul. And if you do find a taxi, the driver might stall and try to get more passengers (who might go to other places). So no guarantees.

Hank

We have 4 people in our group...do you know how many the taxis usually take?

There are generally 2 types of taxis we have seen in Le Havre. One is the normal taxi/car that can carry 3-4 persons. But there are also a lot of Van/SUV taxis that carry quite a few more folks (some as many as 7). With 4, and no luggage, we do not think your issue will be the taxi size but rather getting any taxi to go to the station. In May we disembarked, in Le Havre, from the Ruby Princess. Because we were just going to Paris (we spend a month in France) we had booked a noon train so that we did not have to worry about time. We finally left the ship about 10:15, claimed our luggage, and went outside to grab a taxi. There were a few taxis (all larger vehicles) but initially none would take us to the station. When a driver would say OK, he would quickly change his mind if somebody else came up and wanted to go to Honfleur, take a tour, etc. It took us about 30 min to finally get a taxi, who also took 2 other passengers who simply wanted to get to a bank. The driver dropped them off at a nearby bank before taking us to the station...so the 10 min ride took about 20 min. It was no problem since we had plenty of time, but we were glad we had enough experience to leave ourselves with an extra hour.

I should mention that is was even more difficult getting a taxi in Paris to get to our apartment. But that is another tale :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner