River cruising down to Mekong

daddynews

Hi,

Off to Vietnam and Cambodia in a couple of weeks. We have got our visas for Vietnam, and taking photos to get our Cambodian visas on the boat. Is this correct?

Intend to take a small amount of Vietnamese dong to spend at markets etc, but will we be ok with US dollars in both countries for meals and transport?

Any advice please.

daddynews.

A Cambodian e-visa will be fine for entry if you enter at Siem Reap airport, but if you enter Cambodia from Vietnam on the Mekong, you will need a paper visa in your passport.

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/

The US dollar is widely used in Cambodia, in many cases in preference to the official riel. It will be useful to have dong in Vietnam, although many merchants will accept US dollars. I found that I did need dong for taxis in HCMC/Saigon and Hanoi, but that may not be typical.

We did this trip with Uniworld.

Yes, you need your Vietnam visa before you go. For Cambodia, with Uniworld, we brought one passport photo each and gave them to the CD on board with the necessary cash, and they got the Cambodia visas for us.

We took $2 million dong and found it was a good amount to have. Otherwise US dollars are fine. Before leaving I went to the bank and got 100 crisp one dollar US bills to take as part of my US cash and found it very useful.

• 2 weeks later...
A Cambodian e-visa will be fine for entry if you enter at Siem Reap airport, but if you enter Cambodia from Vietnam on the Mekong, you will need a paper visa in your passport.

http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/

The US dollar is widely used in Cambodia, in many cases in preference to the official riel. It will be useful to have dong in Vietnam, although many merchants will accept US dollars. I found that I did need dong for taxis in HCMC/Saigon and Hanoi, but that may not be typical.

We are off on a similar trip in Sept. I applied (and got) an e-visa for Cambodia which they sent me via email for printing BUT I then realised you cannot use an e-visa for entry to Cambodia via Tan Chau (the mekong border crossing we are using)! I then checked with the Cambodian Embassy and they confirmed it was not possible to use the e-visa at Tan Chau but said it was possible to get a visa on arrival at this border crossing. Therefore lost my e-visa monies and will have to pay again!