Queen Elizabeth Aqaba Port Call 20 April 2015

Embarking

I am waitlisted for Queen Elizabeth's Petra shore tour. I made enquiries with cruisingexcursions.com, but they advise their shore tour to Petra is cancelled due to unrest.

Does anyone know if Cunard's shore tour will proceed.

Will the ship even call to Aqaba ??

I am waitlisted for Queen Elizabeth's Petra shore tour. I made enquiries with cruisingexcursions.com, but they advise their shore tour to Petra is cancelled due to unrest.

Does anyone know if Cunard's shore tour will proceed.

Will the ship even call to Aqaba ??

Hi Embarking. Peace will brake out in the Middle East, and Petra will be a safe place to visit. All the remaining historical sites (what's left of them) in the Middle East will be preserved for posterity. People from all nations will be welcomed to visit without fear.

Or maybe not.

While we live in hope, the reality is that is unsafe for any ship to visit that region, much less conduct tours. I heard the King of Jordan refer to the current situation as the 3rd World War. Sadly, I agree.

It's not about ports and tours, so much as it is about the world gone mad.

I have no answer to you question "Will the ship even call to Aqaba?", but I'm sure you can put two and two together and arrive at a reasonable conclusion.

Salacia

You might post your question on the thread called "Live from the 2015 QE world cruise" as there are two passengers who very frequently write reviews of their days on board. They might see your question and find out for you. I think it may be a bit early for Cunard to cancel the port but, if you don't get an answer from one of them, you could give Cunard a call.

Thanks for your views Salacia.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with the Cunard shore tour booked. Have you been advised of cancellation?:)

You're welcome.

But I'm a confused as usual...You did ask about "Queen Elizabeth Aqaba Port Call 20 April 2015 "? - From what I understand, QE will be in in Vietnam at then end of March...Aqaba seems a long way away?

You're welcome.

But I'm a confused as usual...You did ask about "Queen Elizabeth Aqaba Port Call 20 April 2015 "? - From what I understand, QE will be in in Vietnam at then end of March...Aqaba seems a long way away?

You are correct, Salacia. I have the QE's world cruise itinerary right in front of me and she doesn't go to Aqaba this year. The itinerary says 12 April Abu Dhabi then Dubai, Safaga, Sokhna (for Cairo) and then transit the Suez Canal. No mention of Aqaba. It can't be the Queen Mary 2 as she has already gone through that region and the QV doesn't go anywhere near there. So, now I wonder which ship the OP is on.

You are correct, Salacia. I have the QE's world cruise itinerary right in front of me and she doesn't go to Aqaba this year. The itinerary says 12 April Abu Dhabi then Dubai, Safaga, Sokhna (for Cairo) and then transit the Suez Canal. No mention of Aqaba. It can't be the Queen Mary 2 as she has already gone through that region and the QV doesn't go anywhere near there. So, now I wonder which ship the OP is on.

AQABA has been substituted for the Egyptian calls. The cunard excursions for Petra are currently on a standby basis as they are currently booked up.

At this stage Aqaba is still on the cards.

:D

The ports of call were changed before the QE left Southampton on January 10th.

Best wishes.

After reading a few posts on the "Live from the QE world cruise" thread where Aqaba and Petra tours are mentioned, I am assuming that Aqaba was put in place of something else, perhaps Egypt.

Edited by Oahucruiser

Thank you all for clarifying. There are several posts within 2 minutes of each other about this; one is from England, one from New Zealand and I am in Hawaii. All of us writing from many time zones.

aaaah sigh.....and i know which one I would rather be in....:D

AQABA has been substituted for the Egyptian calls. The cunard excursions for Petra are currently on a standby basis as they are currently booked up.

At this stage Aqaba is still on the cards.

:D

Well, I wouldn't place a bet on those cards.

Thanks all, it's been entertaining so far, but not helping me get to Petra (perhaps Kahtrav from this forum will help me).. By the way it's a global conversation, I'm in Brisbane Australia

Thanks all, it's been entertaining so far, but not helping me get to Petra (perhaps Kahtrav from this forum will help me).. By the way it's a global conversation, I'm in Brisbane Australia

personally, I would plan for it Embarking. I haven't seen any thing at this stage that would stop them docking but no doubt the cruise companies are watching all ports closely and won't put either their ships or passengers at risk.

My experience of Petra is you are best to do a group trip, I would seriously consider getting on the wait list with Cunard as a back stop, last I knew they were still taking names. You could always cancel it if you are able to organise a trip with kahtrav and the most it will cost you is the 10%.

Have a great trip

Hi Embarking

We are booked on the ship tour to Petra and it is still showing on our VP.

We are going to be very disappointed if this port is missed. It truly is 99% why we booked the segment from Dubai to Southampton.

We can hear everyone yelling that no ports are a certainty and never book a cruise for one particular destination, but we did just that.

We feel it is too early for Cunard to be decisive about this but we wish you luck with your enquiries and will be watching out for any news you may receive.

Thanks all - I am waitlisted for the ship's tour, so fingers crossed, we will make it

I hope you do as it is an amazing tour and I did last year on QE world cruise. I took the Cunard tour as I felt it was more reliable as Petra is a busy place and it is a fair old drive from the port. Traffic can be bad so felt safer with Cunard tour. A private tour was not much difference in price. I do hope you get there.

Here is a taster for you.

https://www.cruise.co.uk/forum/109-cruise-news/41124-maggiemou-s-adventures-jordan-petra.html?highlight=maggiemou%27s+adventures+petra

171_zps2283e864.jpg

141_zps6f2d9f89.jpg

093_zps16d27ebb.jpg

Edited by maggiemou

We went to Petra some years ago when the Jordanians were not too keen on the Israelies. There were armed checkpoints all along the way though we never felt any threat.

At the moment no one knows the answer, things can change (usually for the worst unfortunately) so the OP will just have to wait.

The British Government advice is here.

Summary

Still current at: 6 March 2015

Updated: 3 March 2015

Latest update: editorial amendments

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to within 3km of the Syrian border from the Sad Al-Wihdeh Dam up to, but not including, the Jabr crossing. This is due to the risk of small arms fire and stray mortars in the area. See Border areas

Around 81,000 British nationals visited Jordan in 2013. Most visits are trouble free.

You should avoid large crowds, political gatherings and demonstrations. Violent incidents have taken place at the Zaatari refugee camp and on several university campuses. Stay away from downtown Amman and the centres of other towns and cities after Friday midday prayers. See Political situation

There is a general threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling.

David.

I hope you do as it is an amazing tour and I did last year on QE world cruise. I took the Cunard tour as I felt it was more reliable as Petra is a busy place and it is a fair old drive from the port. Traffic can be bad so felt safer with Cunard tour. A private tour was not much difference in price. I do hope you get there.

Here is a taster for you.

---------------------------------

maggiemou, thanks for sharing those photos.

My hope is that historical sites such as those in Petra will be preserved and protected - by UN troops if necessary.

Too much destruction has already occurred: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/islamic-state-bulldozes-ancient-assyrian-city-of-nimrud/2015/03/06/4760f3b6-c3db-11e4-9271-610273846239_story.html

I echo your sentiments regarding Petra: I hope everyone who travels there will have the opportunity to see these important historical sites. But we understand safety and security is paramount, and my guess is that Cunard has access to excellent sources regarding any threats to the ship or its passengers. So while passengers might be understandably disappointed if the port is missed, I hope they will be sanguine and accepting of the circumstances (having read some reviews of a recent cruise where there were port changes, apparently not everyone grasped the risk - perhaps because details were somewhat vague.)

Anyway, thanks again for posting the photos of Petra.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia