Anyone know who RCI uses for their dive excursions in Coz and GC

jtonra

Has any used the RCI excursions for Cozumel and / or Grand Cayman. I prefer ship based excursions mostly for the convenience even though I realize they aren't always the best option. I've had good luck with them so far. Can anyone tell me about these ones in particular? Who do they use, etc?

Laura,

Can you tell me anything more about the dive excursion beyond what's listed in the ships excursion guide. The ships excursion guides are always very vague about the dive excursions. I'm a certified diver with about 60 or so logged dives. These days I only get to dive a couple of times a year so I want to make sure I make the best of those dives. I'd love to hear some more details about your operation. For example, what kind of depth and bottom times can I expect on the dives? How many divers total might be on the boat? How many per DM? Can you name any of the specific sites you dive? What are the logistics of getting to and from the ship to the dive shop and / or dive sites?

I've had good luck in the past using ships excursions in Aruba and Grand Cayman in spite of warnings to the contrary from people on this forum.

Thanks in advance for any additional insight you can offer on your operation?

jtonra, now that you know it is http://www.sanddollarsports.com that provides the RCI dive excursions, why don't you email Laura directly at infosds@sanddollarsports.com with your questions. I'm sure that you will get a much faster answer that way.

I don't think that she really wants to conduct business over the message board, for which I commend her.

Have a great time diving in Cozumel

Good idea Bruce. Thanks for the email address. Wasn't intending to "do business" on the board; I thought others might be interested as well. Didn't realize this wasn't proper "board etiquette". In any case, I'll follow up directly via email.

jim

Good idea Bruce. Thanks for the email address. Wasn't intending to "do business" on the board; I thought others might be interested as well. Didn't realize this wasn't proper "board etiquette". In any case, I'll follow up directly via email.

jim

You are probably right others might be interested in the answers.. Laura is pretty good at answering questions without coming across like she is promoting her business. Answering question = good, self promotion = not good.

If you do end up going out the Sanddollar, I hope you will take a moment to share your experience with us.

You're going to love diving in Cozumel, if you haven't already been there.

Dear Jim,

I think these types of questions are important, and lots of people want to know this type of information, so I'll be happy to tell you all here and now. Since Bruce was complimentary and all, I'll do my best to keep it brief.

As far as the dive sites go, we adhere to a schedule. You can look at your cruise schedule, figure out that you're in port on a Wednesday, check out our webpage (our current one, our fancy new one will be out in a month or so!) and figure out what 2 dives you'll be doing. One will always be an 80 ft wall (30- 35 min)and the second will be a 40-60ft (35-40 min) reef dive. There will be an hour inbetween dives and we often times return to our pier during this interval (it's a stable platform, and cuts down on the sea-sickness factor for many divers!!)

Boat size, that's hard to say in advance. We have 3 boats that we use for cruise lines, the Sand Dollar Express, The Sand Dollar Diver and the Roman Holiday. They all vary in size and capacity. Which boat you go on depends on how many people have signed on in your tour, as well as the other ships in town that day. These are large boats, have MSDs (that's a bathroom to you and I) fresh water, covered area, and dry spaces.

Our Guide to diver ratio is 8. That means even if you arrive with a group of 14 divers in your tour, you'll be broken down into 2 groups and the groups will be staggered so you won't "bump into each other" down under. Many people like the larger groups on board for the "bragging rights" of being the only group onboard to see the sea turtle.

Another option, if you're a little more experienced, a nervous nellie or travellig with junior open water divers is to opt for the private guide service. I can't reccommend this one enough (and that's no matter which tour operator you go with) For an additional $40, you can have your own private guide to show you around at your pace. If you've got little ones, you can entrust them to your private guide and explore the deep, reuniting on the second dive. If you're nervous you can take a little extra time and not feel pressured, or you just may want to feel like a rock star!!

Either way, that's my 2 cents. Bruce thank you for letting me get up on my soap box once again!! Jim, I hope this answers all of your questions!

Happy Bubbles,

Laura.

Thanks Laura. A couple of follow questions. You didn't discuss logistics from the pier to the dive shop / dive sites? Is the shop at the pier or do we take a shuttle / cab?

Regarding the private guide. Is that an extra $40 per tank or per trip? Does this need to be arranged in advance?

• 9 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but its the only one that came up when searching for 'RCI diving excursions in Cozumel'. I assume Sand Dollar are still the provider for RCI dive excursions?

I will be visiting Cozumel in November and looking to do a two tank dive.

I'm not a big fan of ship organised diving as they tend to be overcrowded, the dive sites chosen tend to be quite shallow and dive times tend to be short. I assume the reason for this is because they are geared to the infrequent or vacation diver, requirement is you only have to have dived once within the last two years.

Having said that, ship organized tours are convenient if you are only in port for a short time and you really want to dive..

If anyone has a review of diving in Cozumel booked via RCI I would be grateful to read it before I make a decision on whether to book through the ship or go independent.

Edited by icsys

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but its the only one that came up when searching for 'RCI diving excursions in Cozumel'.

If anyone has a review of diving in Cozumel booked via RCI I would be grateful to read it before I make a decision on whether to book through the ship or go independent.

Dang... talk about resurrecting the dead..... 9 years old... well done!

I haven't sailed RCCL to Coz, so I can't offer any wisdom about who they use. But if you search this sub-forum about Cozumel, you'll find a few threads. There are two (in my mind) that stand out, Aldora and Deep Blue. Several also like Eagle Ray.

This is just my opinion... and it is worth exactly what you are paying me for it... I think the diving is way too spectacular in Cozumel to use a ship's excursion. There are too many inexperienced and/or non-current divers (air hogs) through the ships excursions because the only time these folks dive is when they are on a cruise. That's OK, and you may be one of them. I'm a DM, and have "worked" a few cattle boats... Cozumel isn't the place for a cattle boat of air hogs unless that's where you feel you will be the most comfortable...

Cozumel is the one place I would ABSOLUTELY use an independent. What I liked about Aldora is that they use steel 100s (ladies) and 120's (us guys), which carry much more air than the AL80s that are common throughout the industry. While we had only 5 on our trip (another reason to use independent operators), the DM had a 7 foot hose on his Octo in case there was an air hog... so we wouldn't have to abort the dive in case of an air hog.

Have a great dive...

Griff

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but its the only one that came up when searching for 'RCI diving excursions in Cozumel'. I assume Sand Dollar are still the provider for RCI dive excursions?

I will be visiting Cozumel in November and looking to do a two tank dive.

I'm not a big fan of ship organised diving as they tend to be overcrowded, the dive sites chosen tend to be quite shallow and dive times tend to be short. I assume the reason for this is because they are geared to the infrequent or vacation diver, requirement is you only have to have dived once within the last two years.

Having said that, ship organized tours are convenient if you are only in port for a short time and you really want to dive..

I agree with SheepDogGriff. My wife and I use private dive operators whenever we can. We like the smaller boats (no cattle boats!) and generally better dive sites. In Cozumel, we've used both Scuba with Alison and Chucho Divers, and highly recommend either dive op. They are very cognizant of the time and will make sure you get back to the ship on time.

Just my humble opinion...

Edited by Lefty Writer
added a little more info

I think the diving is way too spectacular in Cozumel to use a ship's excursion.

That is my feeling also, hence the need to ask.

I'd prefer to dive with equally experienced divers who are confident enough to look after themselves, and their buddy when needed.

I just need to decide which one of the 100+ independents to shortlist now.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions, Ill check them out.

Edited by icsys

Royal uses Sandollar. DON'T do it.

Cattle boat diving.

From your list of dive shops put Aldora, Alison, Chucho and Eagle Ray at the top.

Go read trip advisor and then email each one of them with any concerns that you read.

I'm diving again with Aldora this week and hopefully Alison on the 25th of July.

Good luck with choosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too think that private dive operators are the way to go. In Cozumel, I strongly recommend Chucho Underwater (not to be confused with Chucho Divers). Chucho Underwater is the Chucho who used to work for Allison, of Scuba with Allison. We have dived with him on 3 different cruises. He is by far the best divemaster we have had. You wont be disappointed!

http://chucho-underwater.com/

We have dived with a few private operators in Grand Cayman. My first choice would be Off the Wall Divers.

http://grandcaymandive.com/

Safe diving and have a GREAT cruise!

Edited by Loves_Dogs

Has any used the RCI excursions for Cozumel and / or Grand Cayman. I prefer ship based excursions mostly for the convenience even though I realize they aren't always the best option. I've had good luck with them so far. Can anyone tell me about these ones in particular? Who do they use, etc?

You really really should consider Cayman Eco Adventures! We went with them in June. Great guys! Very professional! Knowledgable! Take a look at their website. Our first time with them but definitely not our last!

2 years ago I dove with Deep Blue Cozumel. Shop and boat looked worn for wear .... But don't judge a book by its cover... 5 divers and one of the best dive masters/guides i ever had.

• 1 month later...
Royal uses Sandollar. DON'T do it.

Cattle boat diving.

From your list of dive shops put Aldora, Alison, Chucho and Eagle Ray at the top.

Go read trip advisor and then email each one of them with any concerns that you read.

I'm diving again with Aldora this week and hopefully Alison on the 25th of July.

Good luck with choosing.

Thanks for all your replies regarding independent dive ops...

I checked out trip advisor to help narrow things down...I will NOT be using the ships excursion!

Alison.... is fully booked.

Deep Blue.... I have serious safety concerns... won't say any more!

So its either Dive with Martin (located at the at the international pier so no taxis req'd) or Aldora.

Just waiting on confirmation of availability.