Visting Tortola for the First Time

NHFirst Timer

Our best time ever going to The Baths was thru Potouche where no walking up/down the hill was involved. The sail part of it was also wonderful. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Thanks Lulu!

We've talked to Joe but haven't been on Patouche because our timing was always off but we plan to next visit. For someone staying on Tortola Joe has an option where he goes to Peter Island to pick up folks at the resort there and take them to the Baths followed by a lunch on Cooper Island. He then drops the people back at Peter Island after a snorkel stop at the Indians or Norman Caves I believe and sails home under full sail. We'll go with him on that one next visit, sounds like a great day and a chance to explore PI a little.

I am not having much luck in booking excursions...even after spending hours and hours reading...Potouche sent me an email yesterday and told me that the ships tour would be better for us on the trip to the Baths ... and this morning I received an email from Air Force One Fun in St. Thomas telling me that they were completely full the day that we are going to be there.:confused: I really do think that after looking at their tour though that I would like to visit Mountain Top and see the island of St. Thomas ... are there any tours that provide drinks along the way like Bernard's does in St. Maarten?

You can get a great island tour on STT right from one of the drivers at the dock, and you can grab drinks as you stop at different places like MT or Paradise Point or Iggie's Beach Bar. No need to pre-arrange a structured tour and it's so much nicer on your own. You can get prices at vinow dot com, not that bad for an hour or 2.

On Tortola it's even easier and cheaper, there are drivers right at the dock with different options for you. Hit a beach and have lunch.

But yes, the ferry to VG is the way to go if the Patouche option isn't for you and that would be a great day on VG. You'll have time to visit the Baths, then have a driver take you to the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch, then stop to see the beautiful view of Savannah Bay, then get dropped in Spanishtown which is within walking distance to the ferry.

Nice day, that!

EDIT - If I didn't mention it in one of my earlier rants a driver will work with you and you will pay him/her at the end of your time with them and it is very inexpensive to see these different sights as they are all in the Valley area.

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...

Hi- my husband and I will be on the Summit in a few weeks and would like to try a ship excursion to VG- the ship offers two and I can't decide between the one with the ferry and you get dropped off and walk or the open swim? Anyone know or have an opinion? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can get a great island tour on STT right from one of the drivers at the dock, and you can grab drinks as you stop at different places like MT or Paradise Point or Iggie's Beach Bar. No need to pre-arrange a structured tour and it's so much nicer on your own. You can get prices at vinow dot com, not that bad for an hour or 2.

On Tortola it's even easier and cheaper, there are drivers right at the dock with different options for you. Hit a beach and have lunch.

But yes, the ferry to VG is the way to go if the Patouche option isn't for you and that would be a great day on VG. You'll have time to visit the Baths, then have a driver take you to the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch, then stop to see the beautiful view of Savannah Bay, then get dropped in Spanishtown which is within walking distance to the ferry.

Nice day, that!

EDIT - If I didn't mention it in one of my earlier rants a driver will work with you and you will pay him/her at the end of your time with them and it is very inexpensive to see these different sights as they are all in the Valley area.

Blue_water - Thanks for sharing valuable insight and expertise! Do you happened to have the name of anyone on St. John that does tours? I'd rather have someone prearranged than make these plans/negotiate at the pier. When we visited there in the past we always rented a jeep. A single day rental doesn't appear to be as easy an option as before!

Looking at a short island tour and stop at Smugglers in Tortola as this is our first visit. As much as we would love to see the Baths or VG there is just not enough time to be rushed back and forth.

Thank you!

Hi- my husband and I will be on the Summit in a few weeks and would like to try a ship excursion to VG- the ship offers two and I can't decide between the one with the ferry and you get dropped off and walk or the open swim? Anyone know or have an opinion? Thanks!!

We haven't gone to the Baths by boat yet so can't compare. We have seen others make the swim in and it can be very rough depending on conditions. If you are a very good swimmer it's a good option. The ferry/taxi is nice because you can visit other areas of the island by taxi.

You can often have more time on VG by going on your own, and may also beat the excursion group by an hour depending on your time at port.

Blue_water - Thanks for sharing valuable insight and expertise! Do you happened to have the name of anyone on St. John that does tours? I'd rather have someone prearranged than make these plans/negotiate at the pier. When we visited there in the past we always rented a jeep. A single day rental doesn't appear to be as easy an option as before!

Looking at a short island tour and stop at Smugglers in Tortola as this is our first visit. As much as we would love to see the Baths or VG there is just not enough time to be rushed back and forth.

Thank you!

Sorry I cannot help with a driver on STJ. if you want a private tour guide I'm sure someone on the St Thomas forum on tripadvisor can help. The group tour in safari taxis is a great option for about $25pp but if you've driven STJ before you may not be interested in the group tour. We hired a private tour guide on STT before staying there and that is a great way to see the areas of the island that you want to see.

On Tortola you can ask a driver at the dock in Road Town if they will take you to Smuggler's as part of a tour. Smuggler's is a little out of the way from where the drivers would normally go, and the larger taxi would want to go to CGB with more ppl. But a smaller taxi should be available. And you will need them to wait for you because of the seclusion of Smuggler's, or they may also offer to return if you have time to stay there awhile. But Smuggler's is a beautiful beach, and we're reading there is at least one vendor there right now with a grill and drinks. Worth the effort to get there and it will be much less crowded than the other beaches. And the ride there and back will provide a great tour of beautiful Tortola, especially if the driver takes the coastal route one way and over the mountain the other.

Edited by blue_water
Typos

We haven't gone to the Baths by boat yet so can't compare. We have seen others make the swim in and it can be very rough depending on conditions. If you are a very good swimmer it's a good option. The ferry/taxi is nice because you can visit other areas of the island by taxi.

You can often have more time on VG by going on your own, and may also beat the excursion group by an hour depending on your time at port.

Thanks blue_water!! Your description of the swim was very helpful. I'm not sure I want to rough it in the waters my first time out. I was sort of picturing an easy float or a sand bar or something.

Thanks for your help!

Sorry I cannot help with a driver on STJ. if you want a private tour guide I'm sure someone on the St Thomas forum on tripadvisor can help. The group tour in safari taxis is a great option for about $25pp but if you've driven STJ before you may not be interested in the group tour. We hired a private tour guide on STT before staying there and that is a great way to see the areas of the island that you want to see.

On Tortola you can ask a driver at the dock in Road Town if they will take you to Smuggler's as part of a tour. Smuggler's is a little out of the way from where the drivers would normally go, and the larger taxi would want to go to CGB with more ppl. But a smaller taxi should be available. And you will need them to wait for you because of the seclusion of Smuggler's, or they may also offer to return if you have time to stay there awhile. But Smuggler's is a beautiful beach, and we're reading there is at least one vendor there right now with a grill and drinks. Worth the effort to get there and it will be much less crowded than the other beaches. And the ride there and back will provide a great tour of beautiful Tortola, especially if the driver takes the coastal route one way and over the mountain the other.

Thank you, we are especially looking forward to this beach day and certainly wouldn't have known about this spot had it not been for you!

Thank you, we are especially looking forward to this beach day and certainly wouldn't have known about this spot had it not been for you!

Just payin' it forward, some spots we (and you) find on our own while exploring but many we learn of from others... :)

• 4 months later...

Hi what tours do the open sided busses do ? or can you just use them to go to the beach we are thinking of going to cane garden's for the day and is there anything close to the port where we can have a walk around when we get back from the beach :)

You can taxi to Cane Garden Bay or Brewers Bay for a beach day for $16pp roundtrip, and there are also drivers at the dock offering various island tours for very reasonable prices. You can also include beach time and get picked up later.

Depending on your time in port there are shops near the dock and Pusser's Pub for a bite and a drink.

Tons of info in these threads...

• 1 month later...

blue_water:

We will also be in Tortola from 8:30am to 5pm, which seems like a long time in port to do the Baths and something else. But, since we will be having some water time at the Baths I think we prefer some sightseeing (nice views) instead of another beach. Any suggestions?

A visit to the Baths followed by an island tour on Tortola is a great day indeed. Check at the ferry and cruise docks for an hour or 2 tour, that will show you the amazing views of the bays and islands from the hilltops along with the coastal views. Great tours are very reasonably priced for groups, or you can take a private tour for a little more which is a much nicer experience for a couple, perhaps.

Enjoy your day in the BVI!

A visit to the Baths followed by an island tour on Tortola is a great day indeed. Check at the ferry and cruise docks for an hour or 2 tour, that will show you the amazing views of the bays and islands from the hilltops along with the coastal views. Great tours are very reasonably priced for groups, or you can take a private tour for a little more which is a much nicer experience for a couple, perhaps.

Enjoy your day in the BVI!

There will be 7 of us in our group, so it's nice to know there will be tours that can accommodate our group. Should I go with any driver with the right price or is there something I should look out for when deciding who to go with?

No, nothing special to look for, their itinerary should include a hilltop photo op overlooking CGB or other beaches, and a view of the islands. Most drivers do similar itineraries that cover the same area. ANy tour will be a good one

No, nothing special to look for, their itinerary should include a hilltop photo op overlooking CGB or other beaches, and a view of the islands. Most drivers do similar itineraries that cover the same area. ANy tour will be a good one

Thanks blue_water!

More questions...:confused:

Do people usually walk or take a cab to the ferry station from port? Is it a long walk? We don't mind walking unless it's a super long walk. I also don't want to risk losing the 9am ferry. If I get off the ship at 8am-8:15am and walk will it be enough time?

Thanks blue_water!

More questions...:confused:

Do people usually walk or take a cab to the ferry station from port? Is it a long walk? We don't mind walking unless it's a super long walk. I also don't want to risk losing the 9am ferry. If I get off the ship at 8am-8:15am and walk will it be enough time?

I checked google maps and it says it is a 10 min walk, does that sound right? If it is than we can definitely walk and get there on time.

Curious if there are any recommendations for just an island tour (boat would be nice, but not real important), nice local restaurant for a nice lunch/drinks, and a bit of shopping?? :)

We are a group of four to eight, depending on our choices, but beaches are not high on our priorities as we have nice ones locally during the summer months!..:rolleyes:;)

Definitely, there are taxis right at the dock offering excellent island tours for very reasonable rates. Great photo ops from the hilltops.

Road Town itself is primarily a financial business district, but there are several nice shops right around the dock area. We like Sunny Caribbee for the spices, and Pusser's Pub for lunch and their clothing.

Definitely, there are taxis right at the dock offering excellent island tours for very reasonable rates. Great photo ops from the hilltops.
Sounds like our kind of place..! Taxi it is..:p

We like Sunny Caribbee for the spices, and Pusser's Pub for lunch and their clothing.
Sounds like a plan.. Many thanx..:D