Tarquinia and Cerveteri by public transportation in the same day from port?

RMLincoln

In early November we will have 12 hours (on paper, less in reality) in Civitavecchia asa port of call. We are considering visiting both Etruscian burial sites, Tarquinia and Cerveteri. I've read about how to get from the port to either of these sites, but not sure if there is a good way to go from one site to the other, then back to the port.

Has anybody done this or have suggestions? Thanks, m--

As they are in opposite directions, by public transit the only way to see both is to go to one, return to Civitavecchia, then go to the other.

It's possible, but tight given the bus schedules. I think I'd figure out which one is more important to me and go there in the morning, then decide if there's enough time to move on to the other once you're back in Civitavecchia.

There is a train that goes from Tarquinia to the Ladispoli-Cerveteri station and vice-versa. Check trenitalia for the schedule -- I seem to remember there are more train choices going in one direction than the other....

The Ladispoli-Cerveteri station is a fair distance from the Banditaccia necropolis in Cerveteri. Posts I've seen say that you can take a local bus from the train station but I don't have any specific info on that.

I agree with euro cruiser though, that trying to do both in a day is challenging. I would aim to spend a pleasant day seeing the Etruscan museum in Tarquinia (which is just steps from the bus depot), and then getting a ride to the necropolis there. It used to be that only a few tombs were open on a given day but when I was there, I'd say that the majority of them were open for viewing.

Tarquinia is a pleasant town in itself, you can find a nice place for lunch and call it a day.

(I visited both of these sites about 15 months ago. The below-ground painted tombs are more spectacular at Tarquinia, but the above-ground necropolis portion is more authentic at Cerveteri, where there are several different types of tombs. But you won't see the stunning painted decoration there.

I didn't include the train because of the distances at both ends and the need for buses to and from the sites. Even with a bus the necropolis in Cerveteri is about a mile walk. I don't think it would be possible to align all of the moving parts of three train rides and four bus rides within the confines of a port day visit.

I didn't include the train because of the distances at both ends and the need for buses to and from the sites. Even with a bus the necropolis in Cerveteri is about a mile walk. I don't think it would be possible to align all of the moving parts of three train rides and four bus rides within the confines of a port day visit.

The Banditaccia necropolis is somewhat isolated, definitely. I recall that our driver had a bit of difficulty locating it even with GPS.

Thank you both for your insights. We will continue exploring our options for Etruscan sites from the several ports we will have on this cruise but I think we will take your advice to only visit one site from Civitavecchia, most likely Tarquinia. Not sure if we will try to get there by CoTral (sp?) bus or Trenitalia. We have used Trenitalia and regional trains in Italy several times before and have good confidence in our abilities with them but it seems the bus might be a better fit if we are just going to Tarquinia. I have some recent data from TripAdvisor on where to buy the bus tickets in Civitavecchia, and a link to the bus schedules. We would really rather have a pleasant visit than a stressful one, so a "one-day port call = visit one site" is sounding like the best plan to us!

You may see me post similar questions on the Greek ports forum; I'll be happy to see any suggestions you might have for us to get to Minoan sites from Rhodes, Souda Bay Crete or Piraeus. Many, many thanks to you both, m--