what to do in Progreso?????

cruzn fun

I've been to Progreso 6 or 7 times but never really spent much time in the town itself. The main beach that you will see on your left as the bus brings you into town is free and not bad. The water is greenish but prettier than the Gulf from the states I think. But in my experience, the vendors there are relentless. Just as soon as you tell one no thanks there will be another one approaching you. They aren't too pushy but it was impossible for me to just lounge and read a book. Once my hubby and I walked way down the beach to the east to get away from them. I know they are trying to make a living but I am trying to relax. The double decker bus ride is always a hoot and worth the $3 or 4 it costs. Sit on the top but be careful because you will go under a lots of high line wires and branches. But it's a good way to see the town and get acclimated. We have taken several tours with Auto-Progreso-twice to the Dzibulchaltun Ruins, and also to the Reef Club and Technotel. Enjoyed all of them but especially Dzib and Technotel. I don't think AP goes to the Reef Club any longer. We haven't visited any bars or restaurants but I've heard that there are several good ones just across from the beach. If you take the DD bus ride, they will point out a lot of these places. I think that Progreso is what you want to make of it.

Edited by maldenmusic

I've been to Progreso 6 or 7 times but never really spent much time in the town itself. The main beach that you will see on your left as the bus brings you into town is free and not bad. The water is greenish but prettier than the Gulf from the states I think. But in my experience, the vendors there are relentless. Just as soon as you tell one no thanks there will be another one approaching you. They aren't too pushy but it was impossible for me to just lounge and read a book. Once my hubby and I walked way down the beach to the east to get away from them. I know they are trying to make a living but I am trying to relax. The double decker bus ride is always a hoot and worth the $3 or 4 it costs. Sit on the top but be careful because you will go under a lots of high line wires and branches. But it's a good way to see the town and get acclimated. We have taken several tours with Auto-Progreso-twice to the Dzibulchaltun Ruins, and also to the Reef Club and Technotel. Enjoyed all of them but especially Dzib and Technotel. I don't think AP goes to the Reef Club any longer. We haven't visited any bars or restaurants but I've heard that there are several good ones just across from the beach. If you take the DD bus ride, they will point out a lot of these places. I think that Progreso is what you want to make of it.

Here are a couple of pictures from the DD bus in Progreso and the cenote at the Dzib ruins.

32271_396731344634_606454634_4266098_871671_n.jpg.e3a7a35cf35a6d45c1bf1e5abf2ed2b8.jpg

32271_396731349634_606454634_4266099_33502_n.jpg.be1a8c4f21ba3f8ed302435f2bee5096.jpg

32271_396731414634_606454634_4266110_7177090_n.jpg.bbad60662e2713c9ba10de967ff932b8.jpg

Thanks, I live on West Coast and have been to Tijuana, Rosarito, and Ensenada a million times so the vendors don't get to me. I believe any place you go that u make the best of that place. Us girls have a good time Anywhere. Thanks for info. Would luv to see more pics.

CHEERS :)

Are you interested in history? The Mayan ruins of Chitchen Itza and Uxmal are both in that area. We booked directly through the cruise line. With the travel time and excursion time combined it was a long day but well worth it.

It was a good thing I booked it through the cruise line. Our bus got stuck in traffic on the way back and we were about 45 minutes late getting back to the ship.

Very glad we hadn't booked with a private company. I'm not sure the ship would have waited for us.

My wife took a lot of pictures. If you would like to see the slide shows that she made, you can click on the links below. The slide shows will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Happy Cruising!

Are you interested in history? The Mayan ruins of Chitchen Itza and Uxmal are both in that area. We booked directly through the cruise line. With the travel time and excursion time combined it was a long day but well worth it.

It was a good thing I booked it through the cruise line. Our bus got stuck in traffic on the way back and we were about 45 minutes late getting back to the ship.

Very glad we hadn't booked with a private company. I'm not sure the ship would have waited for us.

My wife took a lot of pictures. If you would like to see the slide shows that she made, you can click on the links below. The slide shows will play as soon as the page opens, but you can also go through the pictures by clicking on the thumbnails one at a time.

Happy Cruising!

Thanks I will check out your pics. I have already been to the ruins. Looks like we may start on the dd bus, maybe hit a couple bars, beach time and massages :)

Just in Progreso on Feb 12, went to Chichen Itza with Auto Progreso. I'm cheap, it was almost half as much as through Carnival. It was a two hour ride to get there. On the way back the van had mechanical problems, had to stop and wait for one of AP's buses to come get us. I was sweating bullets! We barely made it back, last ones to board and the ship left as soon as we got on. Lesson learned - if it's any distance at all, book through the ship!!

Time before we were in Progreson, just sat in a beachfront bar, drank good margaritas, had $15 massage that was good - just relaxed! Progreso is not very touristy, just a typical little Mexican town.