getting from Monte Carlo to Provence?

poss

Our cruise disembarks in Monte Carlo and we'd love to spend 5-6 days after in Provence, probably based in Aix or Avignon. We're in our 80's, we don't drive, and I think it'd not be possible for us to haul suitcases on and off trains, especially with short station stops. I've checked with companies like Tauck, but there's no tour that matches up with our dates. (June 4.)

Would be grateful for other possibilities-- or are there really none short of a very very expensive private driver?

Thanks in advance.

Our cruise disembarks in Monte Carlo and we'd love to spend 5-6 days after in Provence, probably based in Aix or Avignon. We're in our 80's, we don't drive, and I think it'd not be possible for us to haul suitcases on and off trains, especially with short station stops. I've checked with companies like Tauck, but there's no tour that matches up with our dates. (June 4.)

Would be grateful for other possibilities-- or are there really none short of a very very expensive private driver?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps take a taxi to the Nice bus station. Then take a bus to Aix or Avignon. Bus terminal in Aix is a bit outside city, but there are taxis waiting to take people into the city.

Luggage is stored in compartment underneath and driver usually loads and removes, but if he doesn't I'm sure you'll find a helpful fellow passenger. The long route buses in France are clean and cheap.

We ran into a train strike the day we were supposed to travel from Nice to Marseille airport where we were picking up a car to tour Provence, so we ended up taking a bus to Aix. Can't remember how we got to the airport from there, I think we took a taxi. It took only a few hours longer than the train - and was not a "Greyhound" experience.

I want to tiptoe carefully as we do not want to offend anyone. For the record, DW and I are seniors (but only in our mid 60s) who still do lots of independent travel. We are also quite familiar with Provence and have previously spent time in the region in both hotels and apartment rentals (the most recent being a week rental in Avignon this past May).

Provence is actually a very rural area with extremely limited public transit. The best way to see the region is with a rental car....which is generally not an option for those in the age group of the OP. This means that the OP much look to tours, be it a multi-day tour of various day trips. Both are options in Provence.

Since the OP has eliminated the possibility of trains then the options are either hiring car/driver or an organized tour. Getting from Monte Carlo to either Aix or Avignon would be quite expensive with a private car (much more expensive for Avignon due to the increased distance). So we think the OP has the right idea in looking for a decent tour company. The good news is that the OP has the luxury of some time and we would encourage them to keep looking for a tour that fits their schedule. They might want to also send an e-mail to the Avignon Tourist Office. They do have a direct e-mail link on their web site http://www.avignon-tourisme.com/home-1-2.htm

and most of their employees are conversational in English. We would suggest explaining the issue and seeking some suggestions.

As to the Aix vs Avignon we think that Avignon provides a more centralized geographical location for day trips.

Hank