Cost of taxi from Mahogany Bay to Fantasy Island

TravlGrl

Taxis can be high, especially from inside the cruise port at Mahogany Bay.

If you walk "over the hill" outside the gate, where tour operators meet passengers, you might find a taxi that will take you there and return and pick you up. But your best bet is to look at arranging an independent tour. In addition to Victor Bodden and RonyTours, there are some smaller independent tour operators around, like Carlos Rodriguez and islandtours. I think you can get a "tour" up to Fantasy Island (it's just past French Harbor for around $15 pp via Carlos.

But if you walk out and get your own taxi, please be sure to agree on the $ up front and the destination and the time for pick up and get a phone number to call incase the driver doesn't return. Taxis don't hang around beaches in Roatan like they do in Cozumel.

Taxis can be high, especially from inside the cruise port at Mahogany Bay.

If you walk "over the hill" outside the gate, where tour operators meet passengers, you might find a taxi that will take you there and return and pick you up. But your best bet is to look at arranging an independent tour. In addition to Victor Bodden and RonyTours, there are some smaller independent tour operators around, like Carlos Rodriguez and islandtours. I think you can get a "tour" up to Fantasy Island (it's just past French Harbor for around $15 pp via Carlos.

But if you walk out and get your own taxi, please be sure to agree on the $ up front and the destination and the time for pick up and get a phone number to call incase the driver doesn't return. Taxis don't hang around beaches in Roatan like they do in Cozumel.

VERY good advice. Thank you! I just talked to DH, and it looks like we'll plan to book a tour. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know the cost of a taxi from the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center to Fantasy Island? Considering taking our own transportation there. Thanks in advance!

Hi TravlGrl, did you ever decide if you were going to Fantasy Island?

We have it booked through Island Marketing and will be there in a bit under two weeks. It was $38pp with transportation and a welcome drink (rum punch) included. They have an option that was $20 more that included the buffet, but we didn't figure we would need that.

We are just looking for a quiet beach day with some decent snorkeling. From a semi-recent review I read, it seems like it will fit the bill.

Guess we'll find out!

Dan.

Hi TravlGrl, did you ever decide if you were going to Fantasy Island?

We have it booked through Island Marketing and will be there in a bit under two weeks. It was $38pp with transportation and a welcome drink (rum punch) included. They have an option that was $20 more that included the buffet, but we didn't figure we would need that.

We are just looking for a quiet beach day with some decent snorkeling. From a semi-recent review I read, it seems like it will fit the bill.

Guess we'll find out!

Dan.

We decided not to go there. We made direct contact with the folks at Fantasy Island in advance and they told us that the cost of a taxi would be $30-$40 each way. We decided that was just too much $ to spend just for transportation before food and beverage costs. We had checked all tour companies we could find in advance and there wasn't anything cheaper than what you found. Even the one offered by Carlos was $40/person and includes a whole tour. We didn't want an entire tour since we've been to Roatan before and done that. We literally just wanted to lay on the beach at Fantasy Island. Maybe next time. I think you'll have a great time.

We ended up just staying at Mahogany Bay and having a great lunch, local beer, and relaxing on chaise lounges. It ended being a fairly overcast day anyhow, so it worked out to just "chill" there for the day.

• 2 weeks later...
We decided not to go there. We made direct contact with the folks at Fantasy Island in advance and they told us that the cost of a taxi would be $30-$40 each way. We decided that was just too much $ to spend just for transportation before food and beverage costs. We had checked all tour companies we could find in advance and there wasn't anything cheaper than what you found. Even the one offered by Carlos was $40/person and includes a whole tour. We didn't want an entire tour since we've been to Roatan before and done that. We literally just wanted to lay on the beach at Fantasy Island. Maybe next time. I think you'll have a great time.

We ended up just staying at Mahogany Bay and having a great lunch, local beer, and relaxing on chaise lounges. It ended being a fairly overcast day anyhow, so it worked out to just "chill" there for the day.

Hi TravlGrl. We are going on a cruise in seven days and have tentatively booked the Fantasy Island tour with Island Marketing. The taxi seems like a less expensive way to go. The tour advertises 2 hours kayak, unlimited snorkeling, a beach bed, towels and a welcome drink. Do you know if other than the drink, all the other amenities are free from the resort? If so, I think we will just take the taxi for three of us.... Thanks for your input....

Hi TravlGrl. We are going on a cruise in seven days and have tentatively booked the Fantasy Island tour with Island Marketing. The taxi seems like a less expensive way to go. The tour advertises 2 hours kayak, unlimited snorkeling, a beach bed, towels and a welcome drink. Do you know if other than the drink, all the other amenities are free from the resort? If so, I think we will just take the taxi for three of us.... Thanks for your input....

That's a good question. I'm trying to find the list of what was included with the day pass fee, but I cannot locate it. :( So, I'm going from memory. I recall that the chairs, towels, and drink were included for the basic fee but that you could upgrade to include lunch, and the water sports would always cost extra. I'd be interested in the choice you make and how it turned out after you return!