Newbie questions

trish4bruce

We are visiting Costa Maya for the first time this Feb. We do not want to plan a excursion but plan to just go with the flow. In researching I understand we will most likely want to go to the Malacon. First question is this in the town of Malajala?

Second question, we do not want to spend all our time at one spot but prefer to just wonder around. Therefore we do not plan to book somewhere like Maya Chan- although it does sound wonderful. Any recommendations on where we should have the taxi drop us off?

Tropicante which is mentioned often - do you have to book or can you simply stop and have a drink?

Third, anyone have any favorite bars and restaurants? My husband loves to try the local beer. Is there a local beer here?

Finally, my husband here this is a good spot to buy silver? Is this true?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions. We are very excited to experience Costa Maya.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes the malecon is in Mahahual. Taxi ride. Most spots there is no need to have a reservation. Just walk along the malecon and pick a spot. Be advised that you will be at the risk of the lounger hawkers "assaulting" you to stop at their clubs. If you ask if they are a particular club, they will say either yes or no that place doesn't exist any more, or we're associated with them. All NOT true. What club are you at? look at the signage on the building, not the beach.

Your can reserve loungers at Tropicante. It's a good idea if more than 1 ship is in port. But you do not need to do so. Most beach clubs have the usual Mexican beers--Cornona, Superior, Dos Equis, Modelo, maybe Bohemia. All you can get Stateside. Some clubs may carry Victoria or Montejo, or Leon. These are brewed by the same breweries as the popular names but are rarer in the States. Tropicante has a sister place a couple of blocks away called Busters. They do serve Mexican craft beer from the Yucatan or other places. They also have locally brewed liquor.

I can't speak on buying silver. I would assume that whatever you can get in Costa Maya you can get in Cozumel. I would caution anyone buying jewelry in any port to be aware, it may not be what the seller says it is and you'll have little or no recourse to exchange or get money back once you leave port. Caveat Emptor.