Suggestions for a Good Scuba Diving Camera

I've been researching underwater cameras and looking for one that is good for snorkeling AND scuba diving as well as everyday shots. I've heard good reviews about the Sealife DC1200 12 mp Digital Underwater Camera. Has anyone tried this camera? Can this be used as an all around camera(land, portraits, night shots, etc.)? Thanks! :)

I've been researching underwater cameras and looking for one that is good for snorkeling AND scuba diving as well as everyday shots. I've heard good reviews about the Sealife DC1200 12 mp Digital Underwater Camera. Has anyone tried this camera? Can this be used as an all around camera(land, portraits, night shots, etc.)? Thanks! :)

I've used Sea Life and let me say, I would not recommend it. It was in for service/replaced 3 different times. I also have friends that bought Sea Life's and were major disappointed. Not worth it.

I currently have an Olympus sp 550 uz with it's own housing. It has underwater settings and a great zoom. Love it.

I also have an Olympus Stylus 600 with housing for sale. Both in excellent shape.

We have been very happy with SeaLife Cameras. Have owned and upgraded 4 times and never had a problem. Had a problem with an external flash one time and SeaLife's customer service was outstanding.

They are probably the best bang for the buck, if you are looking to spend less than $500.

And they take great pictures both underwater and on land. If you are doing something that might cause the camera to get wet (i.e. cave tubing) just keep the camera in the housing.

Yeah, Sea Life HAS to have good customer service. They have a terrible product. Seriously. I had them on speed dial. They replaced my whole set up 3 different times and I finally gave up. And not just me. I know several friends with nothing but problems.

We have been very happy with SeaLife Cameras. Have owned and upgraded 4 times and never had a problem. Had a problem with an external flash one time and SeaLife's customer service was outstanding.

They are probably the best bang for the buck, if you are looking to spend less than $500.

I respectfully disagree.

Yea, I agree with everyone else. Get a seperate camera and housing if you are a recreational underwater photographer. I use a Canon SD870is with an Ikelite case. It takes excellent photos and you can remove it and take good land pictures.

I like the camera and housing idea. I've been looking into the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 14.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera. It can go underwater up to 33 feet plus freeze and shock proof. It's had good reviews as a land camera. Housing is available for dives up to 200 feet.

I'm not a fan of "waterproof" cameras. I don't know anyone that owns a lumix. I would never chose a panasonic over a canon. The only way I would chose the lumix is if I participated in some type of wet surface activity, like kayaking, and wanted a smaller/low profile waterproof camera. I would probably still use the case for added peace of mind. Here's a tip. If you do use it with out the case (or with the case for that matter), make sure you use a new memory card that doesn't have pics of your entire vacation. If it floods you could lose all your pics. Put a new stick in it every time you go to use it. It does however look like a nice camera and a great case with options for accessories. Good luck. Let us know what you purchase and how you like it.

It all boils down to how much money you are willing to spend. For my wife and I, when we just started out diving, I purchased an Olympus Stylus 750SW. At the time, it was $200, which I think is a great price for a waterproof/shockproof camera. Addtionally, we purchased the underwater housing (it's waterproof to 10 feet without the housing, to 110 feet with the housing).

It's proven great as a small vacation camera for many situations. However, the image quality is not nearly as good as my wife's Nikon D40x DSLR. The housing for that camera, though, is something like $1200. So...again, it boils down to how much money...

Archived