Panasonic Lumix TZ60 or Sony HX60 or other?

Embrace

I have been considering these two cameras and comparing and was leaning more towards the TZ60 because of the view finder and option to shoot RAW or JPEG.

However, I have read a couple of user reviews that mentioned the quality of the JPEG photos are weak and as such best to always shoot RAW.

Can anyone here substantiate that claim? I have little camera experience and want to achieve good quality photos including ability to not disappoint in low light situations.

:confused: Quite frankly I have read so many reviews between the Sony HX60 and the Panasonic TZ60, I am getting a little confused over which one would be better. I also like the fact the TZ60 is a little less chunky.

It has me thinking, am I lured by the great zoom that I may end up finding I don't need? Am I therefore missing a beauty of a camera that falls in the compact pocket size that will produce good quality sharp photos and will not disappoint in low light?

I really liked the Sony RX100 III and thought I'd purchase that, until I saw the price - just a tad too high for what I want to spend at the moment.

I would really value anyone's thoughts to help me cut through the confusion and decide.

I have been considering these two cameras and comparing and was leaning more towards the TZ60 because of the view finder and option to shoot RAW or JPEG.

However, I have read a couple of user reviews that mentioned the quality of the JPEG photos are weak and as such best to always shoot RAW.

Can anyone here substantiate that claim? I have little camera experience and want to achieve good quality photos including ability to not disappoint in low light situations.

:confused: Quite frankly I have read so many reviews between the Sony HX60 and the Panasonic TZ60, I am getting a little confused over which one would be better. I also like the fact the TZ60 is a little less chunky.

It has me thinking, am I lured by the great zoom that I may end up finding I don't need? Am I therefore missing a beauty of a camera that falls in the compact pocket size that will produce good quality sharp photos and will not disappoint in low light?

I really liked the Sony RX100 III and thought I'd purchase that, until I saw the price - just a tad too high for what I want to spend at the moment.

I would really value anyone's thoughts to help me cut through the confusion and decide.

If you have little camera experience (implying you have limited photography experience) why would you want to shoot in RAW? Unless you like to post-process your jpegs in the past, you might not like processing RAW.

The TZ60 is the better camera though the Sony is a little faster. Both would not do that good of a job in low light; all travel zooms are not very good at low light even in RAW. Have you considered buying the older model Sonys?

Thanks for your post. Why would I use RAW? I really thought about your question and I have an inquisitive mind and like to learn – RAW might be an option if shooting to preserve tone and may show less noise on some cameras (other than travel zooms). It is also an option for me to post process the photo to my taste if that's what I want.

I think you are right, I really should have a look at other older sony models and not necessarily travel zooms.

Thanks again, your opinion and questioning has really helped give me direction and start narrowing down what it is I currently want in a camera.

Thanks for your post. Why would I use RAW? I really thought about your question and I have an inquisitive mind and like to learn – RAW might be an option if shooting to preserve tone and may show less noise on some cameras (other than travel zooms). It is also an option for me to post process the photo to my taste if that's what I want.

I think you are right, I really should have a look at other older sony models and not necessarily travel zooms.

Thanks again, your opinion and questioning has really helped give me direction and start narrowing down what it is I currently want in a camera.

Pros only shoot RAW...right?

I wrote an article in response to the semi-religious aura surrounding RAW vs. JPEG. It is based on my 12 years in digital and a lot of research I did to make up my own mind.

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/rawvsjpeg.html

I hope you find it helpful.

BTW, the choice between the two models you mentioned is purely ergonomic. Both are great travel cameras and both would be easy to use. It is hard to make a bad choice from the current crop in that category.

The older compact Sonys like the HX5V (own one) and HX9V are great bargains if you can find one. Decent zoom and a ton of useful features like sweep panorama and multi-shot noise reduction.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Pros only shoot RAW...right?

I wrote an article in response to the semi-religious aura surrounding RAW vs. JPEG. It is based on my 12 years in digital and a lot of research I did to make up my own mind.

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/rawvsjpeg.html

I hope you find it helpful.

BTW, the choice between the two models you mentioned is purely ergonomic. Both are great travel cameras and both would be easy to use. It is hard to make a bad choice from the current crop in that category.

The older compact Sonys like the HX5V (own one) and HX9V are great bargains if you can find one. Decent zoom and a ton of useful features like sweep panorama and multi-shot noise reduction.

Dave

Thanks Dave for sharing your wealth of knowledge and research. I thought your article was excellent and the order and flow really well written and easy to follow and digest.

I found it very helpful. I am much more relaxed now regarding JPEG vs RAW.

It’s no longer me trying to find 'the' perfect camera. But to find a great one to start with based on my skill level, knowledge and features that I need at the moment. Then I can build on it by adding to my "arsenal" later with another camera as my knowledge and experience increases.

Thanks very much again.

Kylie.