Best and Worst Cruise Lines for Dietary Restrictions?

markis234

I've been cruising with RCI and Celebrity for years and have found their accommodation for allergen issues (e.g. gluten-free) to have regressed somewhat in recent years - especially in the buffet. I gather from staff that they do not want to risk legal issues in the buffet with those gluten, lactose, etc. labels anymore. That's too bad. If only guests could refrain from mixing up serving spoons and slopping food all over the place! Also causes issues for vegetarians (such as my wife).

We love cruising in part for their accommodation for dietary restrictions, and for the fabulous food. But we've been less impressed as of late.

Any thoughts on the best cruise lines for those with food allergies/sensitivities, and which lines are to be avoided? Thanks!

Edited by markis234
Addition

We have cruised twice with Celebrity and their attention to my celiac diet has been outstanding! There are so many gluten free options to choose from and the food has been outstanding. I make it a point to speak to the staff, and take as many precautions as possible (eat at the same table in the dining room, same wait-staff, and go early to the buffet). I have even had gluten free fish and chips cooked especially for me at lunch and special gluten free desserts for dinner! I can't speak for what it has been like in the past, but I have been most impressed!

We have cruised twice with Celebrity and their attention to my celiac diet has been outstanding! There are so many gluten free options to choose from and the food has been outstanding. I make it a point to speak to the staff, and take as many precautions as possible (eat at the same table in the dining room, same wait-staff, and go early to the buffet). I have even had gluten free fish and chips cooked especially for me at lunch and special gluten free desserts for dinner! I can't speak for what it has been like in the past, but I have been most impressed!

Great to hear! On our last cruise (Equinox) they made me a special gluten-free pizza at the buffet, with some kind of delicious quinoa crust. I agree getting the same wait staff at dinner is critical...unfortunately on my next cruise the option was My Time Dining. I also try to get at a table with at most four people, as in the past I've held up tables of ten with my "special" orders, as has my wife who often orders from the vegetarian menu.

On one cruise a couple years ago they had switched to staff serving you at the buffet - that was great for avoiding cross-contamination. But they've since stopped that, at least on the Equinox.

By the way, for cruisers stopping in Cozumel, I highly recommend Mr. Sancho's! They had gluten-free quesadillas and they were delicious. Also very good for vegetarian options.

Thank you for the tip! We will be stopping in Cozumel on our cruise, so I'll be sure to check them out! :)

• 6 months later...

If traditional dining is an option, are you on a waiting list? Also definitely try to talk to the dining room when you get on the ship. If you explain your situation, they may be able to adjust things. Alternatively, I think with the my time dining, you can sometimes make reservations with the same waiter each night.