Thrifty downtown Fort Lauderdale questions

northwoods2

We will be in Fort Lauderdale for 3 nights prior to our cruise so I'm looking at a rental car. We are staying at the Lago Mar so parking is free.

Rates at the airport are very high (over $100 / day for an economy).

So I'm wondering if I can rent at the Thrifty downtown location.

We have a late flight arrival - 11:30 pm.

What is the best way to get to the Thrifty downtown location? Is there a shuttle? Taxi (how much)?

How late will this location be open? I can't find the hours online.

If they aren't open I suppose we will have to take a taxi to the Lago Mar and come back to Thrifty the next morning. Any idea what total taxi costs would be?

I understand the Thrift downtown location has a free shuttle to the port. Is that right?

The thrifty location is just off hwy 1 also called federal hwy, at state route 84, at 2400 Miami Road. Phone is (954) 463-8060. This is right at the entrance to Port Everglades. We have always had excellent service from the folks at that location.

Lately, I've been getting the best rates through the Southwest Airlines website. They have great discounts on several rental companies. When I go to BWI, Alamo through SW is cheaper than Hotwire, and I don't have to prepay. I'm not sure what deals they offer in FLL but it is worth checking. You don't have to fly Southwest.

I found a fantastic discount code for Thrifty on another thread - 004M001010, put in the corporate# box. It's for holders of the Orlando Magic Card, which you can get for free here: http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/, but it will work on reservations in Ft. Lauderdale as well. As an example, I checked for a 3-day rental starting Dec. 31st and ending Jan. 3rd - without the code, I was quoted a rate of $102.99/day; with the code, I was quoted $26/day!

Archived