Coup in Turkey right now

A lot of news sources don't have much regarding updates not to mention as of this post it's 100am

The only thing they do confirm is the Turkish President is telling citizens to gather in public places and to stand up to the military.

Hopefully this is just an over reaction to an isolated incident

A lot of news sources don't have much regarding updates not to mention as of this post it's 100am

The only thing they do confirm is the Turkish President is telling citizens to gather in public places and to stand up to the military.

Hopefully this is just an over reaction to an isolated incident

US Embassy has requested all citizens to shelter in place amid the military coup.

From the US Dept of State -

Martial law and a curfew have been imposed in Turkey

U.S. Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens that shots fired and explosions have been heard in Ankara and both bridges in Istanbul, the Bosphorous and Fatih Sultan Mehmet, are now closed. Martial law and a curfew have been imposed in Turkey. All flights at Ataturk Istanbul Airport have been suspended.

http://[/url][url=http://turkey.usembassy.gov/sm-071516a.html]http://turkey.usembassy.gov/sm-071516a.html

Edited by Swinden

We've been watching live footage and thinking back to our visit to Turkey. We LOVED Turkey and I know that they were very protective of tourists. Anyone know if any of the cruise ships were (or are) stranded there tonight?

We've been watching live footage and thinking back to our visit to Turkey. We LOVED Turkey and I know that they were very protective of tourists. Anyone know if any of the cruise ships were (or are) stranded there tonight?

Check the link adora belle posted. Only the celebrity Equinox due in on the 16th. I checked the roll call but it's been quiet for a few days

Does not look as though any ships were in on the 14th or 15th, but Celebrity Equinox was due in this morning (16th July) - unless the company have previously changed the schedule. So will presumably have time to abort, although it is down as a turnaround so will cause other problems.

I also hope all will calm down for the sake of the people in the country.

Check the link adora belle posted. Only the celebrity Equinox due in on the 16th. I checked the roll call but it's been quiet for a few days

I think I've seen in one (or more?) of the many duplicate threads on this topic that Equinox is going to Athens instead.

(Sorry if I sound snarky, I just have tragedy fatigue.)