Private taxi vs tour

rl2knot1

We will be taking our first cruise in November. We are a family of 5 kids age 16 15 11. Our interests include beach/snorkling.. Local cuisine.. And shopping. I am trying to decide if we should prebook a tour or if we should hire a taxi for a day to show us around. I have been told taxis are readily available when arriving at port. I am a planner by nature so I would like to have an idea of what our visit will entail. I am also budget savvy! Any advice would be welcome. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check Caribbean Historical Tours (he's mentioned on TripAdvisor). He has a tour that includes a light local lunch.

Or, you can just take a taxi to Coki beach where there are several local food vendors. Taxi will be $10-12 pp each way.

Consider something in between - a private guide.

We enjoyed a tour with a driver that works at the Secret Harbor Resort on the East End on one of our earlier cruises there and he's still available. Stanley will pick you up inside the dock area and take you where you want to go and also recommend some areas to see. We had him drop us at Paradise Point so we could spend some time there before returning to the ship. But he can customize your day to fit what you want to do and he will wait for you at each stop. Very reasonable prices for a private tour for our day in port and a wonderful gentleman. $40pp for 2 ppl, $35pp for 3 or more.

Stanley can be reached at (340)690-4544

Edited by blue_water

Consider something in between - a private guide.

We enjoyed a tour with a driver that works at the Secret Harbor Resort on the East End on one of our earlier cruises there and he's still available. Stanley will pick you up inside the dock area and take you where you want to go and also recommend some areas to see. We had him drop us at Paradise Point so we could spend some time there before returning to the ship. But he can customize your day to fit what you want to do and he will wait for you at each stop. Very reasonable prices for a private tour for our day in port and a wonderful gentleman. $40pp for 2 ppl, $35pp for 3 or more.

Stanley can be reached at (340)690-4544

blue_water,

I just wanted to say thank you for your informative posts on St Thomas. We will be there in Nov and I called Stanley today and made arrangements for him to be our guide/driver for the day. Very nice gentleman :)

Eva

• 4 weeks later...
I wish I could find someone like Stanley to take us beach hopping on ST John

For a group of 6 it's pretty pricey to take a taxi to several beaches

The itinerary is customized per your request, he waited for us at Secret Harbor and other spots we wanted to spend time at. He will recommend places to stop for views and historical interest, but you design your day with his help.

I called Stanley at the number you gave above. I booked him for Dec. 15th, 2014. So far I'm the only one. I hope others join in. Appreciate the tip.

We asked another couple we were traveling with to join us, but his tours are private rather than shared with strangers like with other tours. He's your personal driver for the day!

If you are solo and decide to ask 2 or more people to join you the price would drop from $50pp to $35pp.

But even $50pp for a full day private driver is very reasonable to us. Be sure to tip if you are happy with the tour!

Edited by blue_water

Hi Wolfie,

We'll be at St.Thomas on Dec 15 with the Celebrity Equinox. We would like to join you with Stanley. If he has a van... We are a Family of 5 (Adults only).

We are looking to visit the island for the first time. We are more into exploring sites, locals spots, walk around, food. Not too much into shopping and beaches. We want to see it but not stay the whole day there.

If you are looking for the same experience, we could split the ride together and have fun!

Gabriel and the family.

We (2 couples) were very comfortable in his van, another couple could have sat in the far rear but for a private tour I wouldn't want to be packed in. He may have a different vehicle today so you should contact him.

You can reach him by phone as mentioned, or e-mailing the Secret Harbour Resort desk who will forward your questions to him. Obviously it's much easier to call.

Hi Wolfie,

We'll be at St.Thomas on Dec 15 with the Celebrity Equinox. We would like to join you with Stanley. If he has a van... We are a Family of 5 (Adults only).

We are looking to visit the island for the first time. We are more into exploring sites, locals spots, walk around, food. Not too much into shopping and beaches. We want to see it but not stay the whole day there.

If you are looking for the same experience, we could split the ride together and have fun!

Gabriel and the family.

What you describe works for me. I was going to let Stanley show me the island without long stops anywhere and not a lot of walking or climbing. It's my first time visiting so just want an overview of the island. I'm on the same cruise as you. Just call Stanley and add you to the list. It's all good.

What you describe works for me. I was going to let Stanley show me the island without long stops anywhere and not a lot of walking or climbing. It's my first time visiting so just want an overview of the island. I'm on the same cruise as you. Just call Stanley and add you to the list. It's all good.

Hi Wolfie, good news, we have reached Stanley. We will do the tour with you. Thank you again. Here you have my public email if we need to exchange more info: gab_1001 / at / hotmail / com.

Thanks for the tip!

You're quite welcome!

Just a great option having Stanley providing private tours for such a reasonable rate. We enjoyed our time with him and just wanted to share with others as we haven't seen anyone else recommending Stanley. He does it part time but is a very nice gentleman and takes good care of you.

You're quite welcome!

Just a great option having Stanley providing private tours for such a reasonable rate. We enjoyed our time with him and just wanted to share with others as we haven't seen anyone else recommending Stanley. He does it part time but is a very nice gentleman and takes good care of you.

I just spoke with Stanley & reserved a date & time- I asked him if there would be other people on the tour & he said that there could be 6 to 8 others since his van can accommodate 10 people.

How many people were in your private tour? we are only 2 people so maybe that is why he will want to add others to the tour?

I just spoke with Stanley & reserved a date & time- I asked him if there would be other people on the tour & he said that there could be 6 to 8 others since his van can accommodate 10 people.

How many people were in your private tour? we are only 2 people so maybe that is why he will want to add others to the tour?

I booked for just 2 people and friends decised to join us at the last minute for a total of 4. We hired him for a private tour and not as a group tour. I would confirm with him to be sure, perhaps with the recent recommendations he's changed, but when we used his services it was private.

• 2 weeks later...