Heli / Dog Sled - Juneau

Hate 2 W8t

Originally, my Cruise Personalizer showed that the Heli / Dog excursion was not being offered in Juneau. But now, a new one has been added that is on the Mendenhall Glacier. I didn't even know there was a dog camp on the Mendenhall.

Has anyone done this particular excursion? I am also pre-reserved through the ship for the one in Skagway. As I have said many times before, I am just worried about missing out on this adventure due to the camps closing before the end of August. An extra bonus, if I can dog sled in Juneau then I can go horseback riding in Skagway. Yippee! :D

Hi,

I also wanted to do this type of excursion, but my TA said that most of the dog sledding trip are no longer running when I'm going to be there (the 3rd week of August). She said that the tour companies frequently book them, then cancel them because the snow/ice gets "mushy" (no pun intended!).

Does anyone know if this is accurate?

>>She said that the tour companies frequently book them, then cancel them because the snow/ice gets "mushy" (no pun intended!).

Does anyone know if this is accurate?<<

Yes it is. The reason is simply that the decision to cancel is made on very short notice and they just don't know when to stop taking reservations.

Murray

Again, Murray is giving very accurate information. But if you double book as it seems to be in the post??? Be very aware of cancelation policies. The last few years all glacier dog sledding has been over by the third week of August. And from reports the last tours weren't the ideal with a lot of slush etc. So think carefully about this booking since it is costly. And yes most certainly the ships will keep booking this until they are officially shut down, then they will just cancel people. So as I suggest in the previous post, have back up plans. :)

Originally, my Cruise Personalizer showed that the Heli / Dog excursion was not being offered in Juneau. But now, a new one has been added that is on the Mendenhall Glacier. I didn't even know there was a dog camp on the Mendenhall.

Has anyone done this particular excursion? I am also pre-reserved through the ship for the one in Skagway. As I have said many times before, I am just worried about missing out on this adventure due to the camps closing before the end of August. An extra bonus, if I can dog sled in Juneau then I can go horseback riding in Skagway. Yippee! :D

I think you are going in Sept??? Frankly, I would book your horseback riding, consider going with Joni out of Carcross, consistant raves, very very unlikely the glacier dog sledding will be running.

Thanks, guys. I just keep holding on to that thread of possibility. But heck, DH and I talked it over last night. I am going to give it up and just plan to go back in a few years. ;) What are the odds like for late May trips?

BQ - How can I get in touch with Joni? Do I have to rent a car to get to her? We are taking the WP&YR in the morning. Lots of time as we don't leave Skagway until 9 pm. Thanks!!!!!

The odds of getting a September trip are near-zero - May is a great time to go and is probably the least-cancelled as it's also the best weather on average.

You can reach Joni at http://www.yukonhorses.com if you want to rent a car and drive up, or you can book through Southeast and they'll take you up - http://www.southeasttours.com/yukon_horseback.html

Murray

Archived