Camera Help

Hi

I currently have a Sony DSC HX100V (known as a bridge camera I guess). I LOVE the zoom on it and just pretty much like everything about it.......other than the size (and the fact it needs repairs but that's another story).

So, I'm looking into getting a new camera. Here are the things I would like to have:

1) I think I want a wifi enabled one (although I have my phone so not sure I NEED that, just WANT it for convenience but am clueless about wifi cameras)

2) I really want long zoom but I don't really know much about optical vs digital zoom. I don't ever print anything larger than an 8x10 and even that's rare

3) I would love to be able to just put it in my pocket vs having the bulky camera I have now

4) Image stabilization is always good

5) Good indoor picture taking would be great

6) The camera I have now takes HD video so I really like that

7) Anything you all may suggest as a must have on a camera :)

I realize I need to go to the store to hold the cameras and see what feels right in my hands but I just wanted a starting point

Thanks!

Let's start with optical vs. digital zoom. Concentrate on the optical zoom number. If you use the digital zoom, it simply crops the picture losing resolution.

The trade off between long zoom and being able to put it in your pocket and take good inside pictures is pretty significant. I have a Canon SX-40 and love it. It has a relatively long zoom (although the current version is 60X) and takes good inside pictures and has a lot of scene modes. I took a great picture of the statue on top of the US Capitol from 10 blocks away. It does not fit in my pocket, not even close. I also have a 10X camera that does fit in my pocket. 10X is not close to 40X (or 60X). It has nowhere near the image stabilization and it does OK for portraits in low light but if the subject is moving, forget about it. It also cost about 20% of what the bridge camera cost. I have decided to go with the two camera approach. That said, there are now some cameras in the middle. 20X - 30X that (almost) fit in a pocket.

I think you already figured it out that you should go to the camera store, try them out and see what fits you best.

Good luck.

A few thoughts for you to consider.

Long zoom versus small size versus good indoor performance. As a generality (note I did not say rule!), you can have 2 of the 3. Good indoor (low light) performance is generally a function of lens speed and sensor size. With most bridge cameras, as you zoom in, your lens aperture lets in significantly less light. Most of the pocketable superzooms I've seen are even worse in that regard. There are a number of pocketable cameras on the market today with larger sensors and fast lenses, but they generally have less zoom. The two I'm most familiar with, and in fact cross shopped, are the Sony RX100 III and the Canon G7 X. I bought the G7 X, but either is a great, although somewhat pricey, camera. In my case, I've had numerous Canons, and the controls and features "felt right". It also has a modestly greater zoom.

I second the notion of handling cameras if at all possible. I would also suggest going to B&H Photo online (Google is your friend), going to point and shoot cameras, and play with the criteria that are important to you. You are probably mostly looking at what they refer to as "Advanced Compacts". You'll also see a choice for "Large Sensor", which you should also check. Indoor performance is largely related to sensor size, but don't make either of those your only criteria. You'll also notice that most of those cameras have a somewhat limited zoom range. DO NOT get caught up on megapixels! For 8 X 10 or less, anything on the market will be adequate. For lenses, you're unlikely to find a fixed aperture lens in this segment, but some will have a maximum of f/2.8 (very good) and others will be f/5.6 (less so for low light). The two I've mentioned will fit in a pocket, with some bulk. I'd use their dimensions for a frame of reference, find some that interest you in a price range you're comfortable with, and hopefully get out and look at cameras.