Atrial Fibrillation & Cruising....anyone?

I done tons of searching on CC, and have not been able to find anything posted recently about cruising with a heart condition called Atrial Fibrillation (a-fib).

I'm looking for anyone with experiences of how the medical facilities can or cannot handle this situation on the ship. (Controlled A-fib is not dangerous, but it does take some expertise to get the heart rate controlled and regular again when an episode happens. The rapid heartrate can be regulated with medication, but in extreme cases, it takes a cardioversion to get it under control.)

I've had A-fib now for a few years, and I've cruised three times since my diagnosis. It is a bit nerve-wracking because you never know when an episode will happen even while controlled with medication. I would feel better if I knew it was a condition that is handled by the doctors on board.

Thanks for any info you can offer!

They have very good medical facilities on the ships and good defin units

The best medical is on bigger ships and the upper class ships

You obviously would need your insurance to cover it and also clear it with the cruise line first

Having dealt with lots of cases like yours I would think a seven day cruise would not likely be an issue but would be wary of longer cruises

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They have very good medical facilities on the ships and good defin units

The best medical is on bigger ships and the upper class ships

You obviously would need your insurance to cover it and also clear it with the cruise line first

Having dealt with lots of cases like yours I would think a seven day cruise would not likely be an issue but would be wary of longer cruises

OP does NOT have to clear their medical condition with the cruise line first. The only requirement that any mass market cruise line has is that the person must be fit to travel. Also that if the person must make arrangement for someone to travel with them if personal assistance is required as the ship's personal does not provide services for daily living. No where does it state on the cruise line's s website and or the cruise contract that the passenger must disclose their medical condition to the cruise line prior to taking the cruise. In fact in the USA that is a direct violation of USA Federal Privacy Laws.

The OP only has to contact the cruise lines Special Needs Department if they are needing the cruise line to provide such things as shower chair , toilet raiser , special dietary needs which still does NOT require the person to disclose their medical condition to the cruise line.

Though insurance would be a good thing for the passenger is not required by the cruise line to have insurance. If the passenger has to use the on-board medical facilities fees will be charged directly to their on board account and not directly billed by the cruise line to the insurance provider. It's the responsibility of the passenger to submit any medical claims directly to their insurance provider upon returning from the cruise.

I done tons of searching on CC, and have not been able to find anything posted recently about cruising with a heart condition called Atrial Fibrillation (a-fib).

I'm looking for anyone with experiences of how the medical facilities can or cannot handle this situation on the ship. (Controlled A-fib is not dangerous, but it does take some expertise to get the heart rate controlled and regular again when an episode happens. The rapid heartrate can be regulated with medication, but in extreme cases, it takes a cardioversion to get it under control.)

I've had A-fib now for a few years, and I've cruised three times since my diagnosis. It is a bit nerve-wracking because you never know when an episode will happen even while controlled with medication. I would feel better if I knew it was a condition that is handled by the doctors on board.

Generally speaking mass market cruise lines have a medical center carrying much of the standard equipment similarly found in North American hospital emergency departments. While not a full-service hospital, the onboard medical center accommodates most emergencies and routine medical procedures. The medical center on board cruise lines generally have an examination room, capabilities to perform simple laboratory tests, a digital X-ray machine,isolation bed, an intensive care unit with one bed, and one or two additional beds. A defibrillator, cardiac monitor with external pacing, electrocardiogram machine, ventilator, oxygen and suction unit are included in the medical center's mini-intensive care unit.

If the medical emergency requires more than what can generally be done by the on-board medical staff, the individual will be transported by helicopter air-lift to the nearest land based hospital. If the ship is close to shore transportation may be by smaller boat to the port where an ambulance will be waiting.

Anyone having a pre-existing medical condition should consider purchasing travel insurance that includes medical and evacuation insurance. In order to have the pre-existing terms of the insurance policy waived travel insurance companies require that the policy be purchased within- 10-14 days (timing varies between providers) from the initial deposit/booking date.

Note : Medicare does not provide coverage outside the USA. Most private insurance medical policies such as those offered by employers offer a limited $ cap ( generally not exceeding 25K but can be less or more) on foreign travel medical coverage or have no foreign travel coverage.

Following websites that might have information regarding traveling with Atrial Fibrillation that could be helpful. Important: as with any information found on the website you need to access it's worthiness / validity as it relates to what information you needing .

http://www.atrialfibrillation.org.uk/patient-information/travel.html

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/atrial-fibrillation/features/traveling-atrial-fibrillation

Edited by xxoocruiser

Does your personal physician think you are okay to cruise outside the US? That would be the first person I would ask.

Thank you all so much for your info and opinions. I sure appreciate it.

Yes, my cardiologist has given me the "green light" to travel anywhere I'd like to go. He says a cruise ship is probably the safest mode of travel due to the medical center on the ship.

Just returned from a southern Caribbean cruise. I had an a-fib episode at the end of the first port day, and was extremely nervous to go to the doctor on the ship. Luckily, my heart converted itself (which it usually does), and I didn't have to go. I would just like to know if anyone has experienced this kind of difficulty on the ship, and if the doctors were able to handle it. My greatest fear is having to be taken off the ship and go to a hospital in a foreign port!

I will continue cruising, but I will do it informed. I will call the cruiseline and see if they can tell me if these types of procedures can be handled onboard.

Thanks, again, for your help!

Be very careful about going to the cruise doctor with a heart condition. They can put you off at the next port. They do not want to handle a heart condition.

I have them do this twice in about 20 cruises.

Be very careful about going to the cruise doctor with a heart condition. They can put you off at the next port. They do not want to handle a heart condition.

I have them do this twice in about 20 cruises.

Yes true you need to clear it with the line first but af is not a normal classified heart condition like you are thinking

It is common and manageable

You just need right skillset available and a defin that is manually operated preferably

Used to be an ambo

They should be ok

Yes true you need to clear it with the line first but af is not a normal classified heart condition like you are thinking

It is common and manageable

You just need right skillset available and a defin that is manually operated preferably

Used to be an ambo

They should be ok

My wife has had it for 15 years and is controlled. She takes Amiodarone (Cordarone® or Pacerone®). Other more expensive stuff did not help.

My point is that if you go to the ship doctor for it you might find yourself off at the next port since they don't like people with hart conditions that they know about dying on the ship.

So OP should tread lightly about going to the ships doctor when a bout occurs. Does OP go to emergency room with bout?

No, I have not had to go to the emergency room that last couple of episodes. Heart usually converts on it's own after following my heart doctor's advice.

However, there is always a CHANCE that it wouldn't do that, and that is when I'd need to seek medical attention on the ship. This is what I'm concerned about......I do not want to be asked to leave the ship!

Just wondering if they have cardioversion equipment if I need it on board? I know I will have to call and ask these questions, but I just posted here to see if anyone has had experience with this type of problem while at sea. A-fib is a common heart condition, and it is very manageable. I'm wondering if the ship doctors know about it.

Thanks, again, for your thoughts!

My wife has had it for 15 years and is controlled. She takes Amiodarone (Cordarone® or Pacerone®). Other more expensive stuff did not help.

My point is that if you go to the ship doctor for it you might find yourself off at the next port since they don't like people with hart conditions that they know about dying on the ship.

So OP should tread lightly about going to the ships doctor when a bout occurs. Does OP go to emergency room with bout?

If op has a bout they should go to ships doctor. If you get kicked off isn't that better than dying

I was on a cruise where a lady had a Tia. Which is a moving clot or mini stroke. Told them to go to hospital in Bali where it happened

They went back to ship and said nothing to avoid bring left in Bali. Which has a great hospital

Long story 2 days later had a full stroke which could have been prevented

Health is more important than a cruise being cut short