Blue Mountains - Day Trip Options Over Easter Holiday

tommn1

Hi All...looking for advice from folks who have been to the Blue Mountains at Easter.

I have two days open in Sydney and trying to decide what to do, when. The days are 20-21 April (Easter Monday and Tuesday). I understand that Monday is a public holiday and that there is a school holiday until 25 Apr (ANZAC day).

One of the days will be a day trip to the Blue Mountains.

1.) From a crowd perspective, would it be better to do this on Tuesday? Or will it be busy no matter which day is chosen?

2.) Itinerary - Blackheath, Katoomba/Leura, then either Wentworth Falls or Springwood. Goal is scenery and hiking, with a little shopping thrown in. Assume 8 hours in the area. Too much? If so, what would you take out? If too little, what else should be added?

3.) Car or Train/local bus? Tour operator is off the table (too rigid). We are only two people, so the cost of the train/local bus would be less. But a car would give us more flexibility. Pros/cons to either? Recommendations from folks that live in the area?

I appreciate any/all comments.

Hi All...looking for advice from folks who have been to the Blue Mountains at Easter.

I have two days open in Sydney and trying to decide what to do, when. The days are 20-21 April (Easter Monday and Tuesday). I understand that Monday is a public holiday and that there is a school holiday until 25 Apr (ANZAC day).

One of the days will be a day trip to the Blue Mountains.

1.) From a crowd perspective, would it be better to do this on Tuesday? Or will it be busy no matter which day is chosen?

2.) Itinerary - Blackheath, Katoomba/Leura, then either Wentworth Falls or Springwood. Goal is scenery and hiking, with a little shopping thrown in. Assume 8 hours in the area. Too much? If so, what would you take out? If too little, what else should be added?

3.) Car or Train/local bus? Tour operator is off the table (too rigid). We are only two people, so the cost of the train/local bus would be less. But a car would give us more flexibility. Pros/cons to either? Recommendations from folks that live in the area?

I appreciate any/all comments.

I would recommend Tuesday. Most people have to work that day. If you can spare the time, I would recommend two nights accommodation from the Monday, as the Blue Mountains is at its best at dawn and dusk for the changing colours of the Three Sisters and wildlife. The scenery is spectacular. You could spend the day in Sydney on Easter Monday, then travel by train late afternoon and base yourself at Katoomba, where you could walk to the Three Sisters viewing platform and various hiking paths. There is a hop on hop off bus which you can check the route to see whether it meets your needs for other destinations. We tend to just eat at Blackheath and Leura (cute village with beautiful parks and gardens), but have stayed at both Leura and Katoomba.

You are correct - Easter Sunday is April 16 - so the days in question are the 17th and 18th. (Not sure why I had it in my head it was the 19th). Same questions apply, though, as they are about Easter Monday/Tuesday.