We want to go to the beach....

crazycruzer68

Just take a cab to Isla Verde or Conado beach. Have the cab drop you off at one of the hotels and have your beach day. It will be easy to catch a cab back to the ship. Either location is a quick ride from port and cabs are plentiful. Isla Verde has a better beach. The waves and currents at Condado are intense. Both have plenty of restaurants and bars. Both the Marriott Stellaris in Condado and the Intercontinental in Isla Verde offer day passes to their facilities if you want use of the pool. The beaches are public, but you may or may not have access through the hotel grounds. Just act like you belong there and you likely not have a problem. Look up properties on Tripadvisor to see photos of hotels and their beaches in both areas.

We were on a cruise last year that left out of San Juan, so flew in a day early. We also wanted the beach for our pre-cruise stay since we never had been to a beach in San Juan. We stayed in Isla Verde and it only ended up being a 20 minute cab ride to the ship. I really liked Isla Verde, the beaches were nice and wide and clean. I can't comment on the Conado Beaches since I have not seen them.

For us the forts and walking tours are not our thing, we want the beach! Carnival offers a beach break for $49, I hate paying Carnival that much money but I am a bit nervous doing it on our own as this is our first time there. Any private tour company that anyone knows about?

We have stayed in Condado pre and post cruise several times and it is very easy to take the bus to the beach in Condado. It will stop a block or two from the beach, but that's an easy walk. Condado is not much of a nice relaxing beach, I would describe it more as a beach to body surf in. Here is a link to a quick video I shot of Condado so you can see if it is what you are looking for. I hear a lot of very nice things about Isla Verde, not sure how the bus routes are there, but they must have them. Just keep in mind that your beach experience in San Juan will be city beach, not rural beach. Not as quiet.