Rome train strike June 22, 2012

romet

There will be a national train strike from 21.00 on Thursday 21 June until 21.00 on Friday 22 June. Passengers should expect extensive cancellations, although some national train services will continue to run during the 24-hour period and a minimal service will be in place for regional services during the rush hours (06.00-09.00 and 18.00-21.00). Rome’s Leonardo Express service between Termini station and Fiumicino airport will continue to run as normal. For a list of national and local trains affected by the strike, see the Ferrovie dello Stato website, http://www.trenitalia.it, tel. Trenitalia 892021 or free phone 800892021.

I have been on an Italian train during a strike. The train just stopped for over an hour, then restarted. It was a wildcat strike.

If you plan to take the train this day, I would suggest taking a tour instead.

The day we were due to arrive in Rome last Nov, there was a 24 hour transportation strike, not just rail. This really worried us so we changed our reservation on BA to arrive a day earlier to avoid all this. Actually as the second poster said, it was a non event. I think the airport shut down for about 2 hours, not 24 and the trains ran, but not to schedule. Train strikes are a way of life in Italy.

Archived