Question about which cruise to go on.....

Booman14

Hello Everyone,

It has been awhile since I have been on a cruise and I find myself in need of some help from the professionals. :eek:

Here is my questions: We live in the South, so basically the only ports within driving distance is New Orleans and Galveston. My Wife, daughter(12) and myself are wanting to get away for Thanksgiving this year. Doesn't really matter where, we just want to go on a cruise. So out of the 4 choices, which cruise would you take, and why. (If price wasn't a factor.)

Carnival Dream out of New Orleans:

Serenade of the Sea out of New Orleans:

Navigator of the Sea out of Galveston:

Carnival Magic out of Galveston:

Thanks for your help......:D

New Orleans is a great town. I really like it there even with kids. It's an exciting town and the Garden District is worth a visit on the street car.

I've sailed on Serenade of the Seas and it is a really pretty ship. My son (age 12 at the time) really liked it. Definitely book a balcony cabin. We had one and at the last minute- I got a call from my travel agent asking if we wanted to upgrade to a suite. We did and it was fantastic!

I noticed that the Serenade of the Seas was a smaller ship than the Dream, Magic, and Navigator of the Sea. Does this matter? I don't like crowds; however I would like to go on a ship that offered a lot of dinning options and a lot of "kid friendly" areas. (Pools, Slides, ect.) We have never been on one of the larger boats before. I didn't know if it was worth it.

I noticed that the Serenade of the Seas was a smaller ship than the Dream, Magic, and Navigator of the Sea. Does this matter? I don't like crowds; however I would like to go on a ship that offered a lot of dinning options and a lot of "kid friendly" areas. (Pools, Slides, ect.) We have never been on one of the larger boats before. I didn't know if it was worth it.
Much depends upon your likes/dislikes and your DDs. My DD is a bit shy and appreciated the smaller crowds of kids on the smaller ships during Tgiving week. Because you are sailing from a US port over a US holiday - expect lots of families (and kids). If DD likes a lot of the physical activities that the larger ships offer and is ok with a large crowd of kids in the teen club larger ship with lots of bells and whistles might be the better choice. If she is not into that stuff and just likes to "hang", there will be plenty of kids on nearly any cruise that time.

Personally- if I'm going to take my child to a theme park- we hit Disney, Bush Gardens, local waterparks, etc. We do trips like that on land, which are way better than on a ship. Same with the mall onboard the larger RC ships- we have malls on land.

We sail to be in pleasant surroundings with fun people and interact with each other and fellow passengers. I think the youth programs are great and a good way to make friends. There is a outdoor movie theater, video arcade, ping pong, hot tubs, and beautiful indoor pool, which kids can use at set times of the day.

The food was good on board. I think Royal excels with the buffets. We tried the Italian specialty restaurant on board and it was a nice change of pace from the MDR and buffet.

Kids IMO are very easy to please and I think they will have fun on any ship- so I now pick where I want to go and make sure there are some things for my son to do but I don't think of a ship as a theme park- it's a voyage and I like that it is a ship, not a mall or amusement park. That's just me.

As for my two (ages 13 and 26) sons- they love (ed) the freedom on board. My oldest is a lawyer and married now so he doesn't travel with Mom anymore. All the food is paid for and they have their little room card/ credit card for small purchases like drinks and ice cream. It's empowering for them. They can roam around without fear of being kidnapped or getting lost. It's great. Plus- the ship is a novelty and there are places to explore. They have the same group of friends all week- unlike at a resort. There are disco parties, karaoke, comedy and magical shows on board. It's fun!

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain