St. Maarten Airport - Done That, new suggestions?

LCB5

Going back to St. Maarten. We have already been to Maho Beach. Looking to do something different this time either on the French side or Dutch side. Any recommendations? Traveling with college age sons. Thanks!

When we went, we rented a car and just explored. This took us to Orient Beach, Marigot, and of course Maho Beach (as seen below). We like to explore on our own when we go places and just freestyle our day (unless there is something specific we just HAVE to do). We rent a car ahead of time, gather snorkel gear, and set off on our adventure.

Marigot had a nice area to walk around with little shops on the waterfront, and little bakeries and such to grab a pain au chocolate and coffee.

Just an opinion, of course, but we found it to be an awesome day. Either way, ENJOY!

With college age people along, I would go to Orient. Plenty to do and lots of choices for eating.

Now if you just want to chill on the beach, Karaker Beach is great. Has food but I do not recall any activities. We go off season so it may be different other times of the year.

I would also recommend Orient, as it has great choices for activities, food and drinks.

You can't get there by public bus, though. Taxis are relatively inexpensive.

If you're into something other than beaches, you might consider Marigot, for a walkabout, perhaps climb to Fort Louis, and grab a French pastry. You CAN get there by public bus.

gary

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do the 4 of you like to sail? If so, try the 12 metre challenge. You race actual America's Cup sailboats. Everyone is assigned a job from strenuous to just observing. My husband d and I really enjoyed the experience.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the sailing ships. It might seem expensive for the actual time on the water, but it was a great experience. Both of us got involved, I believe that added to the experience. You really are racing against another craft.

Jim