Advice for day tour in Nydri Nidri....

easybay

Hi all, hoping that others have visited this port and could give me some advice. Our ship's day tour (Seabourn) offered a cruise to the Princess Islands:

"This wonderful mini-cruise is your opportunity to see all the islands around Lefkada. First, you'll visit the cave of Papanikolis with some free time to swim in the famous cave. The next stop will be at Meganissi—a little island that classically reveals the beauty of the Ionian Sea. The highlight of the tour is the island of Skorpios, once owned by the Onassis family. Skorpios is the largest private island in Greece. You will continue the cruise passing by the other islands which are untouched by the time"

Sounds really nice only it's only 3 3/4 hours long and departs at 9:30 - so back by 1:30 and the ship sails at 5pm - seems like the best part of the day will be when we are back on the ship. That and it's $120 pp.

I found a local tour company (Day Sail Adventures) through Tripadvisor and called them about a private tour 10-3 to do a similar tour. All the Tripadvisor reviews are from people who aren't cruise ship passengers, and my concern is not getting back to the ship on time...which I know is always something to keep in mind when booking a private tour. So I'm wondering if anyone else has been to Nydri/Nidri, and can give me some feedback as to location of the ship/tender to the actual port, and time needed to get to where the tour may be, etc. Thanks in advance!

Edited by easybay

Hi all, hoping that others have visited this port and could give me some advice. Our ship's day tour (Seabourn) offered a cruise to the Princess Islands:

"This wonderful mini-cruise is your opportunity to see all the islands around Lefkada. First, you'll visit the cave of Papanikolis with some free time to swim in the famous cave. The next stop will be at Meganissi—a little island that classically reveals the beauty of the Ionian Sea. The highlight of the tour is the island of Skorpios, once owned by the Onassis family. Skorpios is the largest private island in Greece. You will continue the cruise passing by the other islands which are untouched by the time"

Sounds really nice only it's only 3 3/4 hours long and departs at 9:30 - so back by 1:30 and the ship sails at 5pm - seems like the best part of the day will be when we are back on the ship. That and it's $120 pp.

I found a local tour company (Day Sail Adventures) through Tripadvisor and called them about a private tour 10-3 to do a similar tour. All the Tripadvisor reviews are from people who aren't cruise ship passengers, and my concern is not getting back to the ship on time...which I know is always something to keep in mind when booking a private tour. So I'm wondering if anyone else has been to Nydri/Nidri, and can give me some feedback as to location of the ship/tender to the actual port, and time needed to get to where the tour may be, etc. Thanks in advance!

Hi, it's Steve and Victoria from your same Seabourn cruise-- we were thinking of doing the ship's Princess Islands tour, too-- although, as I said in my last post, Egremni Beach sounded great, but I was worried about getting there and back as it's location on Lefkada is rather remote. if you respond can you respond to our ship's roll call thread or to me at vmrussell2001@yahoo (dot) com? Thanks and best regards!

• 3 weeks later...

Rachel -

We just returned yesterday from our trip!. I did email the day tour company listed below, but in the end we decided do it on our own. Our weather was good - comfortable - but not overly hot, and I didn't want to be out on a sailboat all day wearing a coat. We ended up walking up to the Nidri Falls (about a 1/2 hour there and back) - easy walk on a paved road, and then having lunch on the beach at "Roots" (excellent food). If I was there in a month, I would probably do the ships tour, have lunch at Roots, and maybe walk to the falls after lunch, although in hotter weather, you may just want to drink beers and look out at the pretty view!

Rachel -

We just returned yesterday from our trip!. I did email the day tour company listed below, but in the end we decided do it on our own. Our weather was good - comfortable - but not overly hot, and I didn't want to be out on a sailboat all day wearing a coat. We ended up walking up to the Nidri Falls (about a 1/2 hour there and back) - easy walk on a paved road, and then having lunch on the beach at "Roots" (excellent food). If I was there in a month, I would probably do the ships tour, have lunch at Roots, and maybe walk to the falls after lunch, although in hotter weather, you may just want to drink beers and look out at the pretty view!

Thanks for getting back to me ... I've contacted the company and they quoted a small boat ... we are considering it as on July 21 - I imagine it would be good weather for a boat trip. Any reason why you'd do the ships tour rather than get your own boat? At $120 pp for the 3 1/2 hour excursion - it's about $55 more and the private charter is all day ...

Thanks for your insights! We're excited for this trip and haven't ever been to any of the ports of call before.

So just in case you miss the ship what is the next port and would you have an easy way of getting there? That may help your decision.

Check reviews for the private company.

When we decided to take a private tour from Alexandria to Cairo the company had a guarantee that they would get you back on time or they would look after you.

Make sure their plan allows for you to be back an hour before sailing.

For sure I would go for the longer, less expensive private tour if possible.