Handicapped accessible snorkeling in either Cozumel or Falmouth

svand

Hi! My husband is an amputee and is in a wheelchair. His dream is to snorkel. We are going to Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico in December. Does anyone know of a company that can accommodate him? He can transfer into a van type vehicle and has a folding wheelchair. Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi! My husband is an amputee and is in a wheelchair. His dream is to snorkel. We are going to Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico in December. Does anyone know of a company that can accommodate him? He can transfer into a van type vehicle and has a folding wheelchair. Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions.

We have been to Falmouth but have had no experience snorkeling. In Cozumel it should be possible at the Chankanaab National Park. At the entrance to the park they have some beach wheelchairs available free of charge which I have borrowed for Dudette. With that type of chair you can get right down to the waters edge and while we didn't try it, likely into the water. They is also couple of stairs cases, about 3 steps each that take you into the water. I have snorkeled there and I would describe the snorkeling between average and good but not great. A cab fare from the cruise terminals as I recall is about $11USD each and cabs are mostly vans which will take a folded wheelchair. I hope this works for you.

http://www.cozumelparks.com/eng/chankanaab.cfm

I have just checked my photos of the beach at the Chankanaab National Park, I am afraid my recollection was a little off. The water's edge is separated from the beach by a wall of about 3' and access to the water is done via a staircase. Again from recollection its probably 5 or 6 steps down to the water but there are hand rails. To be certain of disabled snorkeling you may care to contact the park directly. The other thing that I failed to mention is that there is a fee to enter the park which is $21 USD however they did allow Dudette in for the reduced child price.

How able a swimmer is your husband? It's not an area I have any knowledge of - but know with my own problems, although I have good body strength & am not a bad swimmer as a general rule, my lower body issues (unpredictable spasticity & pain + some spinal issues) make me hesitant to get into water I'm unfamiliar with unless I've good support around me. For safety's sake it might pay to check out directly with the parks, or whoever else you might be dealing with, to find out what terrain is like, what water conditions are like (and how quickly they can change) & any other supports they can provide. Might he need something like a pool noodle - or even a proper floatation device, or can he manage safely on his own?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so sorry I haven't checked back! My husband had another surgery and I plain forgot. Thank you Putterdude for your insight and checking photos. I have been considering Chankanaab Park. He could probably scoot down the stairs on his bottom. He is willing to try that. At this point finding snorkeling is my first goal, if it isn't the greatest, it's still better than nothing. I've heard there is plenty of other things to do in the park also, is that true for a wheelchair user? LokiPoki, he is still a good swimmer for the most part. The snorkeling equipment has a vest and counterweight also, I think anyways. It's been a while since I looked at it and I have no experience with snorkeling. He wouldn't go very far out and he would have myself and our son with him. Believe me, it's rare I let him out of my sight, lol. Thanks again!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Playa Mia in Cozumel. It was pretty easy. Had to use beach chair once we hit the sand but could easily snorkel there. We went on our own and not a shore excursion. There were wheelchair vans right outside the port but beware that they rarely strap chairs down outside of the US. Just load in the back and go.

Thank you so much, Wheeling Traveling Mom! That sounds very promising, will look into it. I haven't ever done a ships excursion yet, always on our own because they just don't offer much that is accessible.

• 2 weeks later...
We went to Playa Mia in Cozumel. It was pretty easy. Had to use beach chair once we hit the sand but could easily snorkel there. We went on our own and not a shore excursion. There were wheelchair vans right outside the port but beware that they rarely strap chairs down outside of the US. Just load in the back and go.

Just to confirm, the resort has beach wheelchairs available for use? I can't find anything on their website.