Sony HX50--Looking for a new point and shoot

I'm looking to purchase a new point and shoot camera with a high resolution and a very good zoom...but don't want to spend more than $450. Sony has released the HX50 which sounds like a good option for me (20+ megapixels and a 30x zoom)--but I can't find it locally in my area.

Has anyone seen and/or purchased this camera? Any and all thoughts are appreciated...! Thanks...! :)

I've actually seen it online at a number of places...but I can't really get a sense of its true size. I'd love to see it in person before ordering, but I'm also hoping some folks who have it or have seen it would weigh in with any thoughts...

Thanks for the scoop on Consumer Reports! Nice to know they like it...! :)

I have an HX5V and according to the specs, it is about the same size...quite pocketable. I've been using mine for about 2 years now now and have nothing but praise for it. Features like sweep panorama and multi-frame noise reduction sound complex but offer pro results with point and shoot simplicity.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from 3 1/2 weeks in Alaska. Just before we left I purchased this camera from a local Sony Store. I LOVE it! It was simple to use and the telephoto and wider shots were, I thought, impressive, especially because it is basically a point and shoot camera. The lens equivalents are 35-1200mm. There was another person on our tour with the Nikon super zoom and many envied our pictures. The features were easy to use and effective. I found it would easily fit in my purse or backpack, definitely not in my pocket, however I used it so much I usually had it in my hands. It is very light weight, which I like. One of the trade offs is that it is very definitely plastic (I purchased a protection plan which includes replacement for dropping the camera). The zoom was so good, I seldom bothered with binoculars. Of course, when getting to the the very highest zoom levels a tripod is necesary to get clear pictures -although when I was playing with the camera before the trip I took a picture of a squirrel on a tree at the far side of my neighbor's yard and you could clearly see the fur on the squirrel. I would recommend this camera.

I own the HX9V & HX20V, 16x opt & 20X opt, the Hx20V has everything that you ever want in a point-n-shoot, The HX50V cost $450, may find it for as low as $415.00, while the HX20V is discontinued after under a years release.

The HX50 you can opt for a electronic viewfinder, fits on the hot show, for the price of the camera, yes $450.00, and you can also opt for a External Stereo show to, but you can only use one, or the other, at a time..

The camera has Pic effects, which you may use once in a blue moon. the same goes for the HX20V, but not on the HX9V.

The HX50V has a variable zoom speed, which is nice, and has a different lens over the Hx 20V etc...

The camera is bigger than the HX20V, and HX9V, it will fit in a pocket, yes it will, and people like to differ, just not going to be pretty, It will not fit in your shirt pocket, that is for sure..

The cam takes excellent shots, love the Blue skies it takes but you have to take it with the sun to your back. some times the shots look like over cast rain Lol. Yes a lot can be said.

For $450.00 I get a Sony HX20V save the $150.00 or more, it is not worth it for me to invest in an upgrade, but for any new person, wanting one I grab it?

I had my eye on this before airing, and only way of finding this cam, is Online, and keeping a low key on it, is exactly what Sony is doing. no sales, no bargain, top dollar paid, the choice is yours.

Just my opinion

Shot with the sony HX20V on a boat not close

2h5irn5.jpg

We just returned from 3 1/2 weeks in Alaska. Just before we left I purchased this camera from a local Sony Store. I LOVE it! It was simple to use and the telephoto and wider shots were, I thought, impressive, especially because it is basically a point and shoot camera. The lens equivalents are 35-1200mm. There was another person on our tour with the Nikon super zoom and many envied our pictures. The features were easy to use and effective. I found it would easily fit in my purse or backpack, definitely not in my pocket, however I used it so much I usually had it in my hands. It is very light weight, which I like. One of the trade offs is that it is very definitely plastic (I purchased a protection plan which includes replacement for dropping the camera). The zoom was so good, I seldom bothered with binoculars. Of course, when getting to the the very highest zoom levels a tripod is necesary to get clear pictures -although when I was playing with the camera before the trip I took a picture of a squirrel on a tree at the far side of my neighbor's yard and you could clearly see the fur on the squirrel. I would recommend this camera.

THANK YOU SO MUCH...this is exactly the kind of info I've been looking for...! Indeed, next year we will be taking an Alaska cruise as well, so that's why I've been looking for a new camera. I'm not a pro when it comes to photography--but I do love to take pics and having been to Alaska about 9 years ago, I know that the scenery is spectacular. If you don't mind a few more questions...?

1. How did you find the battery life to be...?

2. Did you use a lot of the special features? I know I'll keep it on "auto" most of the time, but I'm just curious...

3. Did you have a tripod along? If I were to bring one, I might just get a little mini...

4. Because you purchased it so close to your trip, I assume it was very easy to learn how to use it...?

5. Once you returned home, did you find it "easy" to upload your pics to the computer?

6. Did you use the wifi feature at all to put pics directly onto...say...Facebook or any other social media site? If so, how did that go...?

To answers your questions from my experience

1. When I read the reviews I was very concerned about battery life. I bought a stand alone battery charger(which came with a battery) before I left the Sony Store. I charged the camera each evening and carried the extra battery in its case (it is small and light weight). I only needed to change the battery once during the entire trip, and I often used the zoom. I took a total of 1500+ pictures and additional video during the 3 1/2 weeks, so I took many photos each day.

2. In addition to "intelligent auto" I used the manual focus feature and the "superior auto". From the scene choices I found the low light/no flash, backlight compensation, landscape, twilight, and snow effective. The tracking feature,and the very easy to use panoramic were useful. I was thankful that there was a choice of an LCD screen and a viewfinder- I used them both. I have also used the "picture effect", but just playing around.

3. We brought a tripod, which we used once - I would never think (remember) to bring it on deck :( We did use it on our veranda in Glacier Bay.

4. It was easy to use, but I was concerned about buying so close to our trip and paid for an hour orientation with a photographer at the Sony Store - it did help some as I found the instruction manual disappointing. Most of what I was told, I already knew, or would have figured out myself if I had time, which, of course, I didn't.

5. Photos uploaded easily. The video is recorded as MTS files which does not appear capatable with my Vista OS or my older version of Adobe - I am working on that problem- but was a bit disappointed.

6. I don't think (?) there is a wifi feature, but I wouldn't use the internet on the ship anyway ($$). I downloaded photos to my Ipad with a cardreader each night and then uploaded to the internet when I was off the ship.

I'm lucky to live near a Sony Store, but our Best Buy also carries this camera and was very slightly cheaper.

Archived