Calabaza 2012 - How much?

skunkface

Just curious to know what people are paying for their 2012 day sail with Calabaza? I've seen some say $100 others $110. Are they in the midst of a price increase? We're really interested in sailing with them, but wondering if it's better go with them for 12 people or lower rate of $92 with Silver Moon for the 24 passenger catamaran? If the 12 people sail is what people prefer, we're leaning more toward Calabaza than Silver Moon's 12-person.

I am a HUGE Calabaza fan - they were the main reason we went back on the Victory again. I would vote for them all the way - having only 12 people on board makes a real difference and Gina treats you like family - when we went in May it as $110pp - just go to the website and ask Gina - sail calabaza.com - she will get back to you within 24 hours, most of the time sooner

Edited by grgsgrl

• 3 weeks later...

Calabaza and Silver Moon's 12 passenger cruise are both comparable. Have been on both and I can tell you this much: Gina is one of the hardest working women in the tour business in Barbados, and she owns and operates Calabaza.

Nick who owns Silver Moon was the first ever captain to launch a Catamaran in Barbados, and after reinventing the wheel with Silver Moon and a "luxury" cruise a couple years ago there have been a few imitators trying to do the same thing. His success is hard work and (pardon the pun), he runs a tight ship with some of the most professional crew and the best damn rum punch you can get in the Caribbean! As to the 24 passenger cruise, I've been on that too and heard many others (see also this forum above) can't tell the difference between one or the other. yeh... Silver Moon III may not be "as pretty", but once you are on board she's got a lot more space and usually one or two extra crew to make sure you're always happy. --- and hey, it's not like you can see "how pretty" the boat is once you're sailing on her ;)

It's a toss up between them and whichever you get a seat on, you'll be glad you went!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have just returned from 2 weeks in Caribbean and this was the highlight of the week. It rained all day but Chad and Andrew made us feel so special and we had a great day. I would go with these every time. The boat is very clean and new. With a max of 12 on board you have so much room and can really chill. Other boats had more on but we certainly did not regret our decision to go with them. We paid $110 and it was well worth it. The Rum punch was superb and the food was very good. They have since sent us some photos that they took, recipes for the food and drink and this was all free of charge. Excellent - go with them - you will not regret it.

Well the others may be a couple of bucks cheaper but Gina is a one of kind . Heck she is on FB almost daily if you want to friend her and I chat with her stay in touch and have rebooked for April 2013. In 12 cruises I have never taken an excursion as good as this one. I am not a party animal although i had my fair share of rum punch , she did twist my arm:p:D:D but I am older guy with some health problems and never even got off the boat and loved every minute of this. She was $110 and worth every penny and I left a nice tip as well . :)

• 1 month later...

What a fabulous trip we had on Calabaza.

Personal attention from the crew, Gina makes you feel like family.

spotless boat, excellent food, friendly crew, yummy drinks, only 12 pax on board.

This outfit is First Class all the way. It was $110 per person in November and worth every cent.

If I'm ever in Barbados again, I will book Calabaza as soon as can, it fills up fast for a reason.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked with Calabaza back in October for our upcoming Spring Break cruise. Gina was so prompt with the responses to my emails.

I seriously considered the Silver Moon cruise, but read a couple of reviews from people who reserved the 12 passenger trip and ended up getting put on the 24 passenger trip.

I know we would rather have a smaller group of passengers, so we opted for Calabaza 12-passenger guarantee.

Ann

We are in Barbados right now and enjoyed Calabaza yesterday. All the accolades given for this tour are well deserved.

The owner, Gina, and her crew work very hard to provide an excellent experience. Within 24 hours of our trip, she had emailed copies of recipes of the food served and a file of photos taken during the sailing.

This 12 passenger catarmaran is great value for money and definitely the way to go.

• 2 months later...

We just got back from sailing with Calabaza on March 28th. It was wonderful. We spent the day with Danny, Chad, and Andrew. They went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and made sure our glasses were never empty. Lunch was delicious, especially the fish, and there was plenty to eat. We just looked at the pictures they sent us today which was a nice surprise that they weren't trying to sell them to us like most other excursions. I would book them again if I am ever in Barbados again.

With the advice and great reviews from Frito58 we contacted Gina and she got back to me right away and answered all my questions, we went ahead and booked this excursion, I’m very excited and really looking forward to it. I think most of the 12 people will be from our roll call! ;)

And she will give you a discount for kids under 12!

Edited by Mach1

With the advice and great reviews from Frito58 we contacted Gina and she got back to me right away and answered all my questions, we went ahead and booked this excursion, I’m very excited and really looking forward to it. I think most of the 12 people will be from our roll call! ;)

And she will give you a discount for kids under 12!

Yea Gina Just Facebooked me our April 2013 is up to 11 people guess she may have to take an extra this timeall on our roll call.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did Calabaza and we loved it. It was a great day and we had such a great time. Gina and her crew were so nice and did such a great job taking care of us. The snorkleing was wonderful and so was the food. It was easy to find them when we got off the ship. The worst part was that it ended. But I can't wait to make her Rum Punch.

• 1 year later...

PattyG12, can you tell me what kind of food was served? I am allergic to shellfish, but not fish. Also, we have our own snorkeling equipment but not fins. Do they have them? Do they stop at a beach and if so, which one?

Thanks for your info.

• 11 months later...

Has anyone been on this tour recently? How was the trip?

I don't see their prices listed anywhere on their website. Is it still $110 per person?

We will be snorkeling at St. John/Trunk Bay (for the first time) the day before we get to Barbados. I'm just wondering if the snorkeling will be any better (or much different) in Barbados.

Any info would be great!

Has anyone been on this tour recently? How was the trip?

I don't see their prices listed anywhere on their website. Is it still $110 per person?

We will be snorkeling at St. John/Trunk Bay (for the first time) the day before we get to Barbados. I'm just wondering if the snorkeling will be any better (or much different) in Barbados.

Any info would be great!

We are booked for this coming March, and yes, we were quoted $110 pp.

Here is part of the email from Gina:

Our rates are BDS$220.00 (US$110.00) per person (children under 12 years are BDS$180.00 (US$90.00) for the five hour lunch cruise, we limit ourselves to 12 guests to provide a more intimate and personal setting.

Transport from and to the port is included, banana bread upon boarding, hors'doeuvres, buffet lunch, dessert and of course drinks. Lunch is typically, rice, pasta, couscous, garlic bread, green salad, mixed salad, bean salad, vegetable or coleslaw, fish and either chicken, pork, ham or beef. Please let me know of any food allergies when booking.

LidoLiz