Ponant's L'Austral

Floridiana

I've just come upon a German article on one of L'Austral's Antarctica cruises this year. They have hired a German expert for their very few German guests. I read none of the anger towards the predominance of French commentary and experts that I found on cc. They obviously do care about their non-French passengers. The key is to have an Anglophone expert on the ship.

Sorry, the article is in German.

http://www.global-adventure.com/Antarctica/index.htm

• 1 month later...

maybe that is the first clue. I have been on the L'Austral. I have been on other "Luxury" cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Regent) and there is NO comparison in my very humble opinion. We sailed on L'austral to Antarctica 3 years ago. Previously we had sailed on two of the line's other ships, L'Diament & Ponant. While we enjoyed all of them, they would, under NO circumstances compare to any of the above cruise lines. The cabin (a veranda, mid ship's) had only a small table, a small chair & no sofa. The strange item is (or was) a "view" bath that was controlled from the outside rather than by the occupant which I found to be insane. Hopefully they have corrected this item. At least in Antarctica, the dining room port holes were akin to being in the midst of a Maytag washer.

Commentaries were in French...on & on without cease, but when the English translation appeared, there were a few sentences. To be fair, Antarctica speaks for itself and disembarkment for the Zodiacs was smooth & anticipatory. The food was ok...but let me stress that this ship, in no way, shape or form compares to a luxury ship. This is only my opinion and, naturally, others may feel completely differently. Viva la difference. Any day away from the ordinary is a good day.

maybe that is the first clue. I have been on the L'Austral. I have been on other "Luxury" cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea, Regent) and there is NO comparison in my very humble opinion. We sailed on L'austral to Antarctica 3 years ago. Previously we had sailed on two of the line's other ships, L'Diament & Ponant. While we enjoyed all of them, they would, under NO circumstances compare to any of the above cruise lines. The cabin (a veranda, mid ship's) had only a small table, a small chair & no sofa. The strange item is (or was) a "view" bath that was controlled from the outside rather than by the occupant which I found to be insane. Hopefully they have corrected this item. At least in Antarctica, the dining room port holes were akin to being in the midst of a Maytag washer.

Commentaries were in French...on & on without cease, but when the English translation appeared, there were a few sentences. To be fair, Antarctica speaks for itself and disembarkment for the Zodiacs was smooth & anticipatory. The food was ok...but let me stress that this ship, in no way, shape or form compares to a luxury ship. This is only my opinion and, naturally, others may feel completely differently. Viva la difference. Any day away from the ordinary is a good day.

I've sailed on the L'Austral, and have to agree that I would not put them in the Luxury cruise line category by a long shot. And are more a cruise line for the French (as the French passengers on board would prefer it, although Ponant would prefer to expand their revenue base I'm sure). To give credit where it's due, they can pull off some good unique itinerary's and excursions.