Enjoying Old San Juan

luv2travel06

Enjoying Old San Juan before our sail away on a 10 day repo cruise to Jacksonville on the Elation.

Flew in early yesterday afternoon, shared a van to the Sheraton across from the port with some other CC members, checked in quickly and dropped our luggage in the room, then ventured off.

Stopped to talk to some pax of the Maasdam, walked along the base of El Morro next to the bay taking pictures along the way, did a loop on the HO/HO Trolley, then cooled off with a frozen mojito at Brain Freeze across from the port before stocking up with soda at CVS. Since we had to be up at 3am to get to the airport that morning, it did not take long to fall asleep once we showered and crashed in our amazingly comfortable bed.

Woke up early for an abbreviated walk along El Morro again along with some pax from the now-docked Veendam and Valor, as well as the Elation, which we expeditiously boarded after checking out of our room at 11.

Dropped our bags off in our cabin after a quick lunch outside the Lido, then off to the Museo Del Mar on Calle San Francisco and Frankie's antique store at 363 Calle San Francisco. We bought a nice photograph from Jonathan Lopez and his sister Natalia, who had a cart set up across the street from the piers. Cooling off with another Frozen mojito before watching the Valor and Maasdam sail away, then off to our sunset cruise with San Juan Water Tours.

Nice way to start our journey!

How much does it cost to get from the airport to the Sheraton?

Just did this Saturday and reverse on Sunday. One person, one bag - I was charged $23. At the airport, there is a taxi line. You will be asked how many people, how many bags, where you are going. You will be handed a slip of paper with the price. On the way back, no piece of paper, but the cabbie charged me $22. So, I'm pretty sure the pricing is normal.

If you've booked a Deluxe King room and are eligible for the SPG member floor - see if you can get room 832. I had that one. It's a corner room with 3 "juliette balcony" windows (sliding glass door, but no balcony to sit on); I could see the close fort from one, and the pier (where a CCL docked at overnight) from the other two. Just be aware that those port-facing rooms do get the noise from the street traffic below and all the drunks shouting down the street until the wee hours of the morning ;-)

• 2 weeks later...