What is there to do in Belize once you get off the ship?

Rgtouro

I'm looking for something to see/do that includes beach for this port.

Besides shopping and Diamonds International (eyes roll) what's around? What are your recommendations?

Free wi-fi available?

Is the Beach close to walk to?

Is the area safe to explore on your own once you leave the port?

I'm looking to maybe zip-line. So taking a Carnival excursions vs. other tours, what's going to be less for a zip-line? What's the cost? Does Carnival use the same zip-line vendors that you can book on your own and save?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rgtouro...

Remeber this is a tender port. 15-20 minute tender ride in. Shopping is typical port shopping, but there is a small crafts market just outside the cruise port complex. Most people who zip line in Belize do so in combo with cave-tubing. Cave-tubing is somewhat unique to Belize versus other ports. Private vendors are the best bet, IMO. Coral Breeze, Butts UP, Cavetubing.bz, Cave-tubing-r-us are some of the more popular vendors with good reputations and equipment. do cave-tubing but save the zip line for Roatan, if you're going there. Better zip lines.

There is also 3 Mayan ruin excursions people take. 2 of these are long, nearly all day bus trips. or bus-boat combo trips.

Most beaches in northern Belize are on small cayes and require a ship excursion to reach, usually with snorkeling involved. The nearest beach to the tender pier is Cucumber Beach in Old Belize (you can google that) about a 20 minute taxi ride away. It is a manmade beach on an inlet next to a marina. Used primarily by locals.

Rgtouro...

Remeber this is a tender port. 15-20 minute tender ride in. Shopping is typical port shopping, but there is a small crafts market just outside the cruise port complex. Most people who zip line in Belize do so in combo with cave-tubing. Cave-tubing is somewhat unique to Belize versus other ports. Private vendors are the best bet, IMO. Coral Breeze, Butts UP, Cavetubing.bz, Cave-tubing-r-us are some of the more popular vendors with good reputations and equipment. do cave-tubing but save the zip line for Roatan, if you're going there. Better zip lines.

There is also 3 Mayan ruin excursions people take. 2 of these are long, nearly all day bus trips. or bus-boat combo trips.

Most beaches in northern Belize are on small cayes and require a ship excursion to reach, usually with snorkeling involved. The nearest beach to the tender pier is Cucumber Beach in Old Belize (you can google that) about a 20 minute taxi ride away. It is a manmade beach on an inlet next to a marina. Used primarily by locals.

I appreciate the info, thank you kindly!!!

I have been to Belize once so cannot answer all of type questions, but...

Two years ago we snorkeled in Belize. I do not remember the exact operator of the excursion, but we booked through Carnival. A boat picked us up right at the ship and took us to a small island. It was amazing, better than any snorkeling we have ever done. This was not one of the free booze trips. I think it was right around $100 per person.

We aree going back this summer. We will likely do a riverboat trip up to Mayan Ruins at Altun Ha.

I am not sure if this helps you at all, but it's what I know :) Hope you enjoy!

Edited by SkyPiglet
Left a word out

• 1 month later...

Xunantunich is very impressive. Although I did not, you can climb to the top and the view is awesome. I don't do real well on steps and these didn't have a hand rail (maybe they do now). My buddy went up with several other people. On their climb up, his water bottle worked it's way out of his pocket and bounced down a few steps before going over the edge. He said everyone just came to a complete stop and a few nervous laughs before continuing. 😱 But even without going to the top, it was still a wonderful visit. I definitely recommend using the ship's excursion on this one as it was 7 hours and the bus did break down. They had another bus to us relatively quickly and we got back to the port about an hour late, but the ship was still there waiting for us. On long excursions I always recommend using the ship's excursion.

I've also done Altun Ha with the river boat ride. It was also enjoyable, but the ruins are not as impressive, nor as tall and massive as Xunantunich.

Lamanai and Cahal Pech were not available on my last Western trip so I think they are new excursions and I can't offer any thoughts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Alex of the Seas

Xunantunich is very impressive. Although I did not, you can climb to the top and the view is awesome. I don't do real well on steps and these didn't have a hand rail (maybe they do now). My buddy went up with several other people. On their climb up, his water bottle worked it's way out of his pocket and bounced down a few steps before going over the edge. He said everyone just came to a complete stop and reflected on what they were doing, before continuing in. 😱 But even without going to the top, it was still a wonderful visit. I definitely recommend using the ship's excursion on this one as it was 7 hours and the bus did break down. They had another bus to us relatively quickly and we got back to the port about an hour late, but the ship was still there waiting for us. On long excursions I always recommend using the ship's excursion.

I've also done Altun Ha with the river boat ride. It was also enjoyable, but the ruins are not as impressive, nor as tall and massive as Xunantunich.

Lamanai and Cahal Pech were not available on my last Western trip so I think they are new excursions and I can't offer any thoughts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

there have been tours to all ruin sites for years

Xunantunich is very impressive. Although I did not, you can climb to the top and the view is awesome. I don't do real well on steps and these didn't have a hand rail (maybe they do now).
Based on very recent YouTube videos from the site, I don't believe they do.

I just bought these. Might they help?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JJ2VPPO

• 1 month later...

Last year we went to Belize and used a tour group called Way to Go Tours Belize to visit the zoo. We enjoyed it and it was just the two of us and our guide, Brandon. You can check out all the different excursions they offer at waytogotoursbelize.com. Waylon Gordon is the owner and he immediately emailed us in response to our questions. If you can, use independent tour companies, but if the excursion is quite a ways from the port take a Carnival excursion (or whatever cruise line you're on) - based on visiting Chichen Itza. Independent tour company, the bus broke down on the way back, luckily they had a good relationship with Carnival and convinced them to hold the ship. Too close for comfort, all for cheap me trying to save some money!

Edited by nlktx49
mistake on name of tour company

Carnival cave-tube excursion is the way to go! Had a great time, bus was a/c, great tour guide Captain Kirk and no worries about getting back to the ship on time. Didn't get the option of lunch but did rent a medium locker for $7.00. Water shoes are a must!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

hello.we have b2b cruise on the breeze in jan.2018.we liked the Spanish lookout cay tour in belize a few years ago.not on carnival excursions anymore.anybody no of a private tour company that does this to s.l.c.or somewhat the same. thanks