Zaandam Alaska question

srsh1

We were on the June 18th Alaska Zaandam sailing. My husband wore slacks and a collard shirt (no tie) on gala nights and in the Pinnacle Grill. He was fine. I only saw one person turned away from the dining room on a gala night and he was in jeans. Jeans were fine on the smart casual nights.

My DH packs a black cardigan sweater for cold weather travel. Sometimes he wears this over a dress shirt and tie on Gala nights. I think he doesn't feel quite comfortable in a shirt and tie without a jacket but that meets the current requirement: collared shirt and slacks. Scrunching up a suit into a 44 lbs max suitcase for European travel is not worth it for a total of a few hours on-board. Many men will still wear a jacket, though it is not required. Enjoy your cruise! m--

A collared shirt will be fine, but maybe only if it is long sleeve. I was in Alaska on Volendam last month & wore a nice new short sleeve polo shirt to the MDR on Gala night. But I was not allowed to enter without putting on a very cheap sports jacket (that didn't fit right) because my shirt was short sleeve. I read the dress code on HAL's website, which doesn't say anything about long or short sleeves. There was another guy in the dining room wearing a long sleeve T-shirt under a short sleeve collared shirt, & apparently that was OK even though it looked pretty tacky. This rule may be a quirk of the Volendam dining room manager, which might mean it wouldn't apply on other ships. But just a heads-up; I wish I had gotten one before going!