Beach by the Port in Roatan

SkyPiglet

I am doing a Western Caribbean cruise this summer on Carnival Breeze. We have been to Roatan before, and booked a fantastic sail and snorkel through the cruise line. This time, money is a bit tighter, but we still want to snorkel and hit a beach.

Where Carnival docks, there is a causeway-path, and some cable cars that lead to a walking distance beach. Has anyone gone to that beach? If so is it cheap/free and is there decent snorkeling there? We have our own gear. Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

if you're looking for a low cost day, then the beach at Mahogany Bay can fit the bill. Stay off the overpriced flying beach chairs though. And as Runner 15km says , snorkeling isn't good. The beach is in a cove that is/was primarily a drainage shed for rain runoff before it was widened to handle cruise ships. Bottom is mostly slit.

If, on the other hand, you do want to get in a good beach snorkeling day, I suggest you either book the ship's Tabayana Beach excursion or contact Beachers, Bananarama, Infinity Bay, et.al. and inquiry about their packages. All are on West Bay and there's good snorkeling off the beach and better snorkeling if you hire a small boat to take you off shore.

• 5 weeks later...
if you're looking for a low cost day, then the beach at Mahogany Bay can fit the bill. Stay off the overpriced flying beach chairs though. And as Runner 15km says , snorkeling isn't good. The beach is in a cove that is/was primarily a drainage shed for rain runoff before it was widened to handle cruise ships. Bottom is mostly slit.

If, on the other hand, you do want to get in a good beach snorkeling day, I suggest you either book the ship's Tabayana Beach excursion or contact Beachers, Bananarama, Infinity Bay, et.al. and inquiry about their packages. All are on West Bay and there's good snorkeling off the beach and better snorkeling if you hire a small boat to take you off shore.

I am bit slow to reply, but thanks for the input. Tabayana Beach is starting to look like a good value for snorkeling. Do you know if they have lockers or other ways to secure the things we bring, such as wallets, etc while in the water?