Harrisons Cave and Carlisle Beach self tour

greatwhitenorth1

We were in Bridgetown for the day back in Feb./16. We had been there 3 times but always had done some type of boat tour before. This time we wanted to see Harrisons Cave and have some beach time and not feel rushed.

My plan was to look for a taxi that was reasonable for the six of us or just take the bus to the caves at $1.50 US each. I knew the best chance to make a deal was to walk outside the terminal and out past the security check. There will be taxis hitting you up all the way out but in reading reviews I knew the best deals were outside. Struck up a deal, got him down to 20 each for everything we wanted to do and headed off in nice van. Glad we didn't take the bus. Passed it full of school kids going in morning. (We got off ship at 8:30am to avoid the rush at 8:00). Probably would have wasted 2 hours in our day waiting for buses. Driver told us it only ran once per hour and saw where it would drop us was at the side of road with 1/4 mile walk to the caves. We passed a small shack where he said the woman had fresh baked goods ect. He dropped us at the caves entrance. Walked us to the ticket booth and made sure we were all set. We were the first there. Beat ship tour buses. 30US to get into caves for full tour. Less than 2 hrs we were done and he was waitng with fresh sugar bread for us to try(fresh from that woman) and Mount Gay rum for us to try. Stopped for pictures on way back to city. Offered to take us to the Mount Gay Rum factory but we just wanted to go to a beach.

He recommended Harbour Lights. 15$US gets 2 chairs and an umbrella. Has free Wifi and beach bar service. I walked down to the boathouse. They want 20US each, gives you chair, umbrella between 2 of you and your first drink and ride back at end of the day. Glad we chose Harbour lights. Other friends were dropped beside boathouse. Was called Lobster Alive. Similar to where we were though. I had my snorkel gear so I swam out to see the turtles.Only saw one. The Cat tours were stopping along there so I just went where they were. My opinion is that if you want to see the turtles, do a catamaran tour that goes down the west coast. We did Cool Runnings 2 years ago and had a great day. Stayed for a few hours and told driver to come pick us back up at 3. Someone in our party realized in the afternoon she had left her Iphone in the cab earlier. We had his card and phoned him. He found it between the back seat and had it waiting when he picked us up. HONESTY.

He even hooked us up with a friend in St Lucia where our next stop was. I got the details and told him we would confirm later in the day of our decision. He had some Rum Punch for us on the ride back too. He made another cell call to his buddy in St Lucia to confirm our tour and price for the next day, which we did. Not all taxis are shaddy in Barbados. We had a great day there and also in St Lucia because of him.

We were in Bridgetown for the day back in Feb./16. We had been there 3 times but always had done some type of boat tour before. This time we wanted to see Harrisons Cave and have some beach time and not feel rushed.

My plan was to look for a taxi that was reasonable for the six of us or just take the bus to the caves at $1.50 US each. I knew the best chance to make a deal was to walk outside the terminal and out past the security check. There will be taxis hitting you up all the way out but in reading reviews I knew the best deals were outside. Struck up a deal, got him down to 20 each for everything we wanted to do and headed off in nice van. Glad we didn't take the bus. Passed it full of school kids going in morning. (We got off ship at 8:30am to avoid the rush at 8:00). Probably would have wasted 2 hours in our day waiting for buses. Driver told us it only ran once per hour and saw where it would drop us was at the side of road with 1/4 mile walk to the caves. We passed a small shack where he said the woman had fresh baked goods ect. He dropped us at the caves entrance. Walked us to the ticket booth and made sure we were all set. We were the first there. Beat ship tour buses. 30US to get into caves for full tour. Less than 2 hrs we were done and he was waitng with fresh sugar bread for us to try(fresh from that woman) and Mount Gay rum for us to try. Stopped for pictures on way back to city. Offered to take us to the Mount Gay Rum factory but we just wanted to go to a beach.

He recommended Harbour Lights. 15$US gets 2 chairs and an umbrella. Has free Wifi and beach bar service. I walked down to the boathouse. They want 20US each, gives you chair, umbrella between 2 of you and your first drink and ride back at end of the day. Glad we chose Harbour lights. Other friends were dropped beside boathouse. Was called Lobster Alive. Similar to where we were though. I had my snorkel gear so I swam out to see the turtles.Only saw one. The Cat tours were stopping along there so I just went where they were. My opinion is that if you want to see the turtles, do a catamaran tour that goes down the west coast. We did Cool Runnings 2 years ago and had a great day. Stayed for a few hours and told driver to come pick us back up at 3. Someone in our party realized in the afternoon she had left her Iphone in the cab earlier. We had his card and phoned him. He found it between the back seat and had it waiting when he picked us up. HONESTY.

He even hooked us up with a friend in St Lucia where our next stop was. I got the details and told him we would confirm later in the day of our decision. He had some Rum Punch for us on the ride back too. He made another cell call to his buddy in St Lucia to confirm our tour and price for the next day, which we did. Not all taxis are shaddy in Barbados. We had a great day there and also in St Lucia because of him.

That is great! Glad to hear about the honest cab driver. Thanks! I'm going to try Harbour Lights this time. Last year it rained when we were in Barbados, so we skipped the beach. Barbados has beautiful beaches!

greatwhitenorth, also, can you tell me about your St. Lucia experience?

In Barbados we did this:

Will gladly recommend him. His nickname is Big Apple. His business is called Big Apple Taxi. Real name is Steve.

Cell # is 246-242-2373 or email him: bajanapple@hotmail.com

Everywhere we went everyone knew him. It was a fun day.

For St Lucia I can't remember his name. If you do contact Big Apple ask him about his buddy he recommends in St Lucia. They have a taxi Co-op there so they are pretty regulated for pricing. We were there a couple of years ago and did the Spencer Ambrose Land and Sea tour. (He doesn't have that now) It included everything, bannana plantation, volcano, water falls and a beach stop at the pitons. High speed boat back. His new tour option is boat, both ways, with a van ride to Souffrie part way to go to sulfar smelling volcano. Was a good day but didn't want to spend 110US to do the same thing again. I explained that we just wanted to see parts of the island and then to a beach. There was 6 of us. He gave us a $30 each option or a full tour including the pitons for $40. We opted for the $30. He met us outside the port gates at 9:30 with a sign as we arranged from Barbados. He gave us a picture book version of the tour options. We went through the town in port then to picture stop on top of hill overlooking ship. Stopped at an artist place, made multiple stops for various things he wanted to point out, Marrigot Bay etc. . Even stopped at a grocery store to buy a bag of local nuts for us to try. Went to Banana plantation. Then back across the island to I believe the name was Reddiut Bay. Showed us the expensive houses on that side of island. He dropped us at Spinnakkers on that beach aound 12:30 and picked us back up around 2:30 and returned us to the ship. Beach stop was where ever we wanted to go and how long we wanted.

Did you have to make reservations for Harrison's cave? We are going to be visiting Barbados in November, and want those the caves. I just don't want to get there and then not be able to see them because we didn't have reservations.

I would say not to bother making reservations. You don't want to be committed to an exact time to be there. It didn't seem to be that busy when we left. I would still recommend heading there first thing when you get off the ship. Then you have the rest of the day to discover the island if you want.

"For St Lucia I can't remember his name." DW found our drivers card we had while we were in St Lucia. His name was Thomas Charles "Bage". Company name is Thomas Charles Taxi Service, bage498@hotmail.com

I would say not to bother making reservations. You don't want to be committed to an exact time to be there. It didn't seem to be that busy when we left. I would still recommend heading there first thing when you get off the ship. Then you have the rest of the day to discover the island if you want.

"For St Lucia I can't remember his name." DW found our drivers card we had while we were in St Lucia. His name was Thomas Charles "Bage". Company name is Thomas Charles Taxi Service, bage498@hotmail.com

Thanks for the information on the tour.