Swimming with dolphins at Chankanaab - autistic teen

batt01

My daughter (age 15, with autism) would like to swim with dolphins. I am thinking of booking her and my husband on the "Push, Pull, Swim" excursion at the Dolphin area at Chankanaab. My question is: I know that they will be in a group of 10 - 15 others doing the same thing. She might take a little more time than the others to understand instructions, or to get used to the water, etc. Will this hold back others in our group? Generally, people are very patient with her, but it's not a cheap excursion, and seeing that she generally needs a little more time to adjust than most, it might cut in to other's time, which we would not want to do.

Having said that - I'm wondering if they make accomodations for those with special needs? Any advice?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning batt01!

Just logging in at work and noticed your post from November. I have no experience with special needs at Chankanaab, but my husband and I were there in 2009 for the same dolphin excursion. It was always something on my bucket list, so really happy that we got to go there. The park is so wonderful!

They require that participants wear their life jackets, provided at the park. Is your daughter comfortable with something like this? The dolphin trainers are very eager that all in the group have a share in the "push, pull, swim" activities. (They want to make sure everyone shows up in the video and photos that the park offers for sale at the end of your experience.)

I am quite afraid of water, and don't swim at all. So even though this was a lifetime wish to swim with the dolphins I was still apprehensive climbing down the stairs into the water and onto the under-water platform. It scared me to even put my toes over the edge of the platform, so I hung back. As they had the dolphin swim along in front of the line of us I am the only one who is stretched out from the waist to touch the dolphin's back.

The trainers kindly continued to ask if I would like to do each of the activities as they rotated through them, even offering to take me out into the water and stay next to me. I just declined and watched my husband and the others in our group having a great time, totally content to just be in the water and close to the fun. Finally, one of trainers came over and asked if I would let him pull me out in the center of the enclosure so I could do at least one thing with the dolphin. I said yes, and away we went, him pulling me along looking like a person being rescued from the water. :) So glad I did it! And that they were persistent in wanting me to enjoy being there.

At the time we were there the park had a newly acquired manatee, visiting him was a freebie thrown in that day. I would happily pay to do this, if I ever get to go back. The manatee was being trained, and we each were given a lettuce leaf to coax him along the line. He figured out that the trainer had a whole head of the leafy deliciousness, so he got a bit sidetracked. Loved that experience, even though it was very brief!

If anyone in your group wants to snorkel while you are in the park, be sure to walk farther along the beach away from the main buildings. The rates, at that time, were cheaper to rent gear if you went the distance.

We thoroughly enjoyed an open-air lunch at the restaurant with the grass roof. (Also, farther away from the main buildings on the beach.) The menu is in English and Spanish as well as the prices for each item. Paying was as easy and any restaurant back home. (Be sure you have a bit of cash for the strolling musicians, since they play for tips.) Food was delicious!

My disclaimer is that I do not work for the park, just a happy mid-westerner who got to enjoy checking off an item on my bucket list. (No beaches or oceans where I live.)

I sincerely hope your daughter gets to fulfill her dream of swimming with the dolphins.

Thanks!

Beckie

The only thing I have to add is that as soon as you get to the park I would explain the situation. That way they will be prepared to make her more comfortable. Have fun. By the way Dolphins have healing powers.....hmmmm ya never know what could happen.