Scubagirrl- Need your advice on Nassau beaches..

big al

Hi Scubagirrl & all else:

I will be arriving in Nassau on a Tuesday, Oct. 28th from 8-5 ..there are 4 couples, 3 of us are 50's+ & my newlywed niece & hubby are 25 - they do not have a lot of $$, so I am trying to find some ideas for a free beach..my wife & I ( and maybe the others, not sure yet..) may go to the Melia...I have been to Cabbage beach ( 10 yrs ago.) , and Cable Beach ( 20 yrs. ago!!)..I have read about Junkaroo Beach & Cabbage Beach...I understand there will be venders on most beaches, but trying to minimize that...I would like a place that has facilities, decent beach ( WITHOUT music blasting) , some food & beverages...I have read that perhaps Cable Beach may be the best option...the posts are very varied,especially on Junkaroo Bch...some say it's too loud w/ music , or no facilities, or there's better choices,etc...I trust your judgement because I've been reading your posts for a long time now...also, what about this Mario guy for a tour? We looked into Blue Lagoon, looks nice , but a bit pricey... I have been to Nasaau 10x, but for the others, mostly newbies...I would love your opinion and Thanks so much!!

Alan

Hi Scubagirrl & all else:

I will be arriving in Nassau on a Tuesday, Oct. 28th from 8-5 ..there are 4 couples, 3 of us are 50's+ & my newlywed niece & hubby are 25 - they do not have a lot of $$, so I am trying to find some ideas for a free beach..my wife & I ( and maybe the others, not sure yet..) may go to the Melia...I have been to Cabbage beach ( 10 yrs ago.) , and Cable Beach ( 20 yrs. ago!!)..I have read about Junkaroo Beach & Cabbage Beach...I understand there will be venders on most beaches, but trying to minimize that...I would like a place that has facilities, decent beach ( WITHOUT music blasting) , some food & beverages...I have read that perhaps Cable Beach may be the best option...the posts are very varied,especially on Junkaroo Bch...some say it's too loud w/ music , or no facilities, or there's better choices,etc...I trust your judgement because I've been reading your posts for a long time now...also, what about this Mario guy for a tour? We looked into Blue Lagoon, looks nice , but a bit pricey... I have been to Nasaau 10x, but for the others, mostly newbies...I would love your opinion and Thanks so much!!

Alan

Under the circumstances, Melia is probably your best bet. You won't find public beaches with facilities and food, except Junkanoo Beach, which, after renting a chair and umbrella for the day, is not much cheaper than Melia.

Since you are going in October (which is off season), it's unlikely that you will find music on the beach. It's usually the high season, or spring break that brings along the loud music and local bands.

There are very few vendors on Melia (only a handful allowed), while Junkanoo Beach is public and has many vendors.

Both beaches have their own value.

As for Mario, I checked him out. He's fine, but so are the other 20 or more tour guides that pick up tours outside the Port Gate. They are all trained at the same place, and honestly, they are all knowledgeable and personable. You don't have to book a particular guide. Just have a sense for what you would like to do and see, and talk to one or two of the guides when you get there.

Make sure the vehicle's air conditioning is working that day.

Edited by scubagirrl

Under the circumstances, Melia is probably your best bet. You won't find public beaches with facilities and food, except Junkanoo Beach, which, after renting a chair and umbrella for the day, is not much cheaper than Melia.

Since you are going in October (which is off season), it's unlikely that you will find music on the beach. It's usually the high season, or spring break that brings along the loud music and local bands.

There are very few vendors on Melia (only a handful allowed), while Junkanoo Beach is public and has many vendors.

Both beaches have their own value.

As for Mario, I checked him out. He's fine, but so are the other 20 or more tour guides that pick up tours outside the Port Gate. They are all trained at the same place, and honestly, they are all knowledgeable and personable. You don't have to book a particular guide. Just have a sense for what you would like to do and see, and talk to one or two of the guides when you get there.

Make sure the vehicle's air conditioning is working that day.

Thanks so much Scubagirrl!!

Alan