Cannes Rental Car Questions

Quilting_Cruiser

I'm doing a western Med cruise in September and will be in Cannes for the first time. I'm thinking about renting a car and spending a lovely day driving to a couple of smaller villages like St Paul de Vence. I have a few questions for those of you who've done this before. I've bolded my actual questions so you don't need to read the rest of the context or my rambling if you prefer not to.:p

• Where can I rent a car as close as possible to where we tender in? I read a thread that said it would be very difficult to find a taxi to take me to a car rental office since it's not a very profitable run for them. I don't have mobility issues (not since I got a knee replacement two years ago! YAY!), but this will be day 12 of traveling and I'm sure I'll be on the tired side. It'll be a "good tired" but tired nonetheless. LOL.

• I'm 6'1" so car size is important to me as I have freakishly long legs. Will I be able to find a mid-size car? That was a challenge in Ireland!

• On the way to and from St Paul de Vence are there other villages and towns you'd recommend I spend a little time in? I'm well-traveled and I always enjoy getting a bit off the beaten track. I have a couple versions of a Perfect Day in Europe, and one of them is a leisurely visit to an out-of-the-way village where I can sit at a little cafe and watch the world go by while eating good food and drinking a great cup of coffee (or cafe au lait as it were ;)). I enjoy the stone buildings and country lanes and it's a huge bonus if I can find something local to bring home to my friends and family. Some of the most loved souvenirs I have from my travels are the pieces of art on the walls that I've purchased from the artist him or herself. I hope that helps with your recommendations!

• I speak a tiny bit of French from high school (too many years ago to admit!) and though I can't converse in French I understand enough words to be able to order in a restaurant and know what I'm getting--if that makes sense. Will not speaking French make it impossible if I find myself needing help with car troubles or something unexpected? Everywhere I've been in Europe, people have spoken English--for which I'm very grateful--but you know the reputation of the French! I will definitely brush up on some phrases that will be helpful should I run into trouble.

• Should I have any additional concerns about traveling solo? Since my children have been grown, I typically travel solo and am very comfortable doing so. I pay attention to my surroundings and take precautions. I'm thinking traveling in this area will not be a concern, but just wanted to double-check.

• Is there a good map of the area you would recommend? I'd love to get my hands on one before I go so that I can study it and plan my route, planner that I am.

• Any other comments or recommendations?

Thank you!

Q_C

So many questions...but good ones. With rental car agencies you have two choices. You can walk about 2/3 of a mile to the other side of Cannes where you will find most of the major rental car companies such as Europcar, Budget, etc. But there is a small local rental car company called "Mistral" that used to have a location near the tender pier. Their web site is: http://www.mistral-location.com. I have not personally used this agency so cannot vouch for them...but we have never seen any major complaints posted here on CC.

I am also 6'1" (probably have shrunk to 6" by now) and have always managed, but you do have a point. Many French agencies do have medium to large cars...but you will pay a price. We are big fans of St Paul de Vence and often recommend that village. We would suggest you make that your first stop, and you can stop for some cafe au lait at the cafe located right outside the entrance....and perhaps you will get lucky and see the local men playing boules. If you like modern art. it is only a very short drive the the Maeght Fondation...which has some fascinating art...especially if you like Miro....or like to laugh at Miro.

You might want to stop in Antibes...on your way back to Cannes. But do not cut it too close in getting back to Cannes as the afternoon traffic (especially as you enter into the Cannnes area) can be nasty...and you do not want to be late. Besides, once back in Cannes you can drop your car and then spend some time exploring Cannes.

As to speaking French, a nice "Bonjour" with a smile will go far. But using high school French can get you in some interesting trouble. DW and I have both studied French..and neither of us can speak it....but we try. One evening in Paris, at a very good Michelin 2 Star restaurant, DW took her time and ordered her entire meal in French (high school French). The waiter listened patiently and wrote down her order. He then said in perfect Kings English, "Madam, do you speak English?" DW responded that she did and asked why he wanted to know. He replied (with a twinkle in his eye), "because Madam, you speak terrible French." It was truly said in jest, and we feigned some shock...and then all laughed.

Hank

Thank you, Hank! Love the story about your wife and the waiter. LOL. Notice, I didn't say I actually order in French--just that I can decipher the menu. I learned in Quebec that people speak native French don't think we can! :D

The amount of legroom in a rental car is always a concern for me. Women tend to have longer legs than men of the same height--my inseam is 37"...I don't think there's a compact car out there that wouldn't have my knees up around my ears!! LOL.

Thanks for the advice. I agree that the smartest thing is to drive to St Paul de Vence first and then make my way back. I'll take a look at Antibes. I recall reading there's a village called Vence not too far from St Paul de Vence that is worth spending a bit of time in.

Thanks for the advice on car rentals--I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks so much for your help!

QC

Forgot to say...no, I"m not a fan of modern art. I often don't get it or don't consider it art. One of my favorite days in Amsterdam was spending hours at the Rijksmuseum and see that art up close. I have many stories about coming around corners into a courtyard where an artist is at work and selling beautiful paintings or pottery or handmade Christmas ornaments to passersby. That's the kind of art I enjoy. :D

Thanks!

I will also admit to not being a fan of modern art (but we are huge fans of the Impressionists). But I still remember when DW and I drove over to the Maeght. They had a very large white canvas which what appeared to be a single pencil line. It is the kind of thing a 4 year old might do on the wall of their room. But this was done by Miro...and the canvas is worth a fortune. Go figure.

Regarding Navigation, we strongly recommend having a GPS device of some sort. We now have T-mobile as our cell provider, so our iPhone works everywhere in Europe and we can use that for GPS (T-mobile does not charge extra for using data in Europe). Most rental car agencies will rent you a GPS (if you need one) but you might want to ask them if its programmed in English :). You will also quickly find that there are two basic routes for getting around the region. You can drive inland and use the excellent A8 (La Provancale) Highway...which is 4 lanes (or more) and very fast. We recommend using this road to get to St Paul de Vence. But there is also the local roads that run along the coast, and this is more rewarding in terms of what you see...but can also can have lots of traffic and traffic jams. We have often used this route and when we go to Antibe we will sometimes drive back to Cannes along the coastal roads. But if you do this, you must allow a lot of extra time. But remember that the reward for getting back to Cannes a little early ...is you will have time to explore.

Hank

I will also admit to not being a fan of modern art (but we are huge fans of the Impressionists). But I still remember when DW and I drove over to the Maeght. They had a very large white canvas which what appeared to be a single pencil line. It is the kind of thing a 4 year old might do on the wall of their room. But this was done by Miro...and the canvas is worth a fortune. Go figure.

Go figure is right! It might be worth seeing just so I could marvel over it. But, I'm sure I'll find better things to do!

Regarding Navigation, we strongly recommend having a GPS device of some sort. We now have T-mobile as our cell provider, so our iPhone works everywhere in Europe and we can use that for GPS (T-mobile does not charge extra for using data in Europe). Most rental car agencies will rent you a GPS (if you need one) but you might want to ask them if its programmed in English :).

I have reserved my car and taken your recommendation by adding a GPS. I'll contact them to make sure it can be programmed in English. We did that in Germany a few years ago, and the agent that helped us came out to the care and made sure it was in English and everything was in order. I'm sure that had something to do with my 18-year-old daughter traveling with me! I won't expect the same treatment at this one. LOL.

You will also quickly find that there are two basic routes for getting around the region. You can drive inland and use the excellent A8 (La Provancale) Highway...which is 4 lanes (or more) and very fast. We recommend using this road to get to St Paul de Vence. But there is also the local roads that run along the coast, and this is more rewarding in terms of what you see...but can also can have lots of traffic and traffic jams. We have often used this route and when we go to Antibe we will sometimes drive back to Cannes along the coastal roads. But if you do this, you must allow a lot of extra time. But remember that the reward for getting back to Cannes a little early ...is you will have time to explore.

Hank

Sounds perfect. I'll definitely want to take the coastal route on the way back to Cannes, and I will make sure I give myself plenty of time. I always book independent or just go off on my own and I'm very careful about giving myself time so I dno't miss the ship!

Thanks so much for all your help, Hank. I very much appreciate it!

Jayne

We did this trip 6 years ago(thanks to Hank's help). We rented a car from one of the car rentals on the other side of the port. It wasn't a bad walk and the rental location is close to the road to get out of town. We drove to St Paul de Vence and then Antibes. It was one of my best port days. Everything went off without a hitch. I like to study and print out the directions on google maps beforehand to get an idea of the route.

• On the way to and from St Paul de Vence are there other villages and towns you'd recommend I spend a little time in? I'm well-traveled and I always enjoy getting a bit off the beaten track. I have a couple versions of a Perfect Day in Europe, and one of them is a leisurely visit to an out-of-the-way village where I can sit at a little cafe and watch the world go by while eating good food and drinking a great cup of coffee (or cafe au lait as it were ;)). I enjoy the stone buildings and country lanes and it's a huge bonus if I can find something local to bring home to my friends and family. Some of the most loved souvenirs I have from my travels are the pieces of art on the walls that I've purchased from the artist him or herself. I hope that helps with your recommendations!

Yes, there are a couple of villages well worth visiting between the A8 and St Paul: Villeneuve-Loubet and La-Colle-sur-Loup. However, I do recommend driving 15 minutes past St Paul and visiting Tourretes-sur-Loup. This is one of the most beautiful cliffside medieval villages in the area. And the parking is a lot easier than in St Paul. It does have excellent restaurants, including some overlooking the Loup valley. Many local artists and craftsmen show in its shops and galleries. Over the years I have purchased some of my favorite prints and pottery there. Tourrettes would fit your definition of a beautiful out-of-the way village entirely built in stone.

Vence is beautiful. It has a castle and intact ramparts, but does not have as much eye appeal from the road since the old town is surrounded by the new town. Still worth visiting.

And a word about why St Paul is so popular. The village is beautiful, but what makes it spectacular is its location. It is on top of a hill that rises out of the Malvan valley which runs from the mountains around Vence to the Mediterranean. You can get great views of St Paul from the roads that run on either side of the valley. Other villages, such as Tourrettes are just as lovely, if not as manicured, but they do not have the same photo-op setting. So explore some. You will be amply rewarded.

And for the ultimate village - charm, setting, views - look up Gourdon.

http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/alpmarit/gourdon/gourdon.htm

BTW - the A8 is a toll road. Be prepared. Also, the stretch of local roads between the Cannes exit from the A8 and Cannes has horribly heavy traffic, especially in the afternoon rush hour. So allow enough time to return the car. If you go to Antibes, return to Cannes along the shore road rather than getting back on the A8. It is a much more pleasant drive.

Edited by marazul

We did this trip 6 years ago(thanks to Hank's help). We rented a car from one of the car rentals on the other side of the port. It wasn't a bad walk and the rental location is close to the road to get out of town. We drove to St Paul de Vence and then Antibes. It was one of my best port days. Everything went off without a hitch. I like to study and print out the directions on google maps beforehand to get an idea of the route.

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it. This is the best thing about Cruise Critic. :D

Yes, there are a couple of villages well worth visiting between the A8 and St Paul: Villeneuve-Loubet and La-Colle-sur-Loup. However, I do recommend driving 15 minutes past St Paul and visiting Tourretes-sur-Loup. This is one of the most beautiful cliffside medieval villages in the area. And the parking is a lot easier than in St Paul. It does have excellent restaurants, including some overlooking the Loup valley. Many local artists and craftsmen show in its shops and galleries. Over the years I have purchased some of my favorite prints and pottery there. Tourrettes would fit your definition of a beautiful out-of-the way village entirely built in stone.

Vence is beautiful. It has a castle and intact ramparts, but does not have as much eye appeal from the road since the old town is surrounded by the new town. Still worth visiting.

And a word about why St Paul is so popular. The village is beautiful, but what makes it spectacular is its location. It is on top of a hill that rises out of the Malvan valley which runs from the mountains around Vence to the Mediterranean. You can get great views of St Paul from the roads that run on either side of the valley. Other villages, such as Tourrettes are just as lovely, if not as manicured, but they do not have the same photo-op setting. So explore some. You will be amply rewarded.

And for the ultimate village - charm, setting, views - look up Gourdon.

http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/alpmarit/gourdon/gourdon.htm

BTW - the A8 is a toll road. Be prepared. Also, the stretch of local roads between the Cannes exit from the A8 and Cannes has horribly heavy traffic, especially in the afternoon rush hour. So allow enough time to return the car. If you go to Antibes, return to Cannes along the shore road rather than getting back on the A8. It is a much more pleasant drive.

Thank you so much! Do you recall how much the toll is? Of course by then--12 days into my trip--I'll have ample change, but just want to be prepared! I'll be sure to take the coastal route back to Cannes.It's a Friday, so if the traffic is like here in Portland, it'll be bad on Friday afternoon.

You just made Tourretes-sur-Loup go to the top of my list. It sounds exactly like what I'm hoping to see. Thank you.

Thank you so much! Do you recall how much the toll is? Of course by then--12 days into my trip--I'll have ample change, but just want to be prepared! I'll be sure to take the coastal route back to Cannes.It's a Friday, so if the traffic is like here in Portland, it'll be bad on Friday afternoon.

You just made Tourretes-sur-Loup go to the top of my list. It sounds exactly like what I'm hoping to see. Thank you.

Use viamichelin.com to plot your route. It gives you the amount of the tolls and excellent directions.

And enjoy!

Since Marazul briefly mentioned the parking issue (which can be a challenge anywhere in Europe) we will talk about parking at St Paul de Venice. Getting there early in the day is quite helpful for parking as this village can become very crowded by late morning. There are two basic parking options. There is some free parking along the road outside of the village (you will see cars parked along the road) and as you drive past the entrance you might see cars parked a long distance from the town. But it is free...and folks like free :). But there is also a decent indoor pay garage just past the entrance (you will see the blue "P" signs) on your right. The garage is so convenient we are happy to pay the parking fee (you pay when you return to the garage to get your car). We have always been able to get a spot in this garage, but perhaps its because we are usually parked before 10:30. In Antibes I have always been able to find metered parking on the street....although there is a paid parking lot near the Marina (not to far from Antibe's popular indoor market.

Hank

Since Marazul briefly mentioned the parking issue (which can be a challenge anywhere in Europe) we will talk about parking at St Paul de Venice. Getting there early in the day is quite helpful for parking as this village can become very crowded by late morning. There are two basic parking options. There is some free parking along the road outside of the village (you will see cars parked along the road) and as you drive past the entrance you might see cars parked a long distance from the town. But it is free...and folks like free :). But there is also a decent indoor pay garage just past the entrance (you will see the blue "P" signs) on your right. The garage is so convenient we are happy to pay the parking fee (you pay when you return to the garage to get your car). We have always been able to get a spot in this garage, but perhaps its because we are usually parked before 10:30. In Antibes I have always been able to find metered parking on the street....although there is a paid parking lot near the Marina (not to far from Antibe's popular indoor market.

Hank

Thank you, Hank. That's very helpful. I'll be getting the earliest tender possible so am hoping to arrive early. I generally choose convenient over free, especially when on vacation. I appreciate the details on parking!

:)

Quiltng -

You asked about paper road maps. The answer is the Michelin maps, probably the best road maps around. Get the Alpes-Maritimes local map. Michelin map #341. For that matter, the Michelin Green Guides are particularly good, especially in France. There is also one for the Alpes-Maritimes (the English version might be called French Riviera).

Quiltng -

You asked about paper road maps. The answer is the Michelin maps, probably the best road maps around. Get the Alpes-Maritimes local map. Michelin map #341. For that matter, the Michelin Green Guides are particularly good, especially in France. There is also one for the Alpes-Maritimes (the English version might be called French Riviera).

Thanks! I'll look for it!

Am having a good laugh about "paper maps." We are seniors and have spent most of our travel life in an era before GPS :) I have an extensive collection of Michelin maps and large road map books (the one for France weighs over 3 pounds). When we used to take extensive European driving trips I would often carry over 10 pounds of maps! Now, I have my iPhone (with our T-Mobile account the phone will work everywhere in Europe for no additional fees for data) and my old Garmin Nuvi...loaded with European maps. We have finally reached the point where we can spend months in Europe without having a single paper map.

Many years ago I realized there must be an alternative to paper maps. We were driving somewhere on the back roads of the Marche area of Italy and go terribly lost (which is often a lot of fun). As I was driving I made the mistake of asking DW, "where are we" and her response was not encouraging. Sitting with all kinds of maps on her lap she responded, "how can I find us on a map if we don;'t know where we are?" Now, DW has become an expert "Wazer" and does a great job with our iPhone GPS options.

Hank

Am having a good laugh about "paper maps." We are seniors and have spent most of our travel life in an era before GPS :) I have an extensive collection of Michelin maps and large road map books (the one for France weighs over 3 pounds). When we used to take extensive European driving trips I would often carry over 10 pounds of maps! Now, I have my iPhone (with our T-Mobile account the phone will work everywhere in Europe for no additional fees for data) and my old Garmin Nuvi...loaded with European maps. We have finally reached the point where we can spend months in Europe without having a single paper map.

Many years ago I realized there must be an alternative to paper maps. We were driving somewhere on the back roads of the Marche area of Italy and go terribly lost (which is often a lot of fun). As I was driving I made the mistake of asking DW, "where are we" and her response was not encouraging. Sitting with all kinds of maps on her lap she responded, "how can I find us on a map if we don;'t know where we are?" Now, DW has become an expert "Wazer" and does a great job with our iPhone GPS options.

Hank

I guess I'm considered a senior now, too (approaching 59 in a few weeks), and I work in high-tech so, no, I don't use paper maps for navigating. But, I do use them for studying and dreaming. I love to sit with the map and study the area I'm visiting. I get more satisfaction from doing that than from any online maps I've ever seen. But, when I'm in an area with which I'm unfamiliar, it's GPS or my phone all the way. BTW, I ordered a GPS for the car I rented. :D

I guess I'm considered a senior now, too (approaching 59 in a few weeks), and I work in high-tech so, no, I don't use paper maps for navigating. But, I do use them for studying and dreaming. I love to sit with the map and study the area I'm visiting. I get more satisfaction from doing that than from any online maps I've ever seen. But, when I'm in an area with which I'm unfamiliar, it's GPS or my phone all the way. BTW, I ordered a GPS for the car I rented. :D

Guess that makes us both antiques! :). We have done a lot of extensive European driving trips (often over a month long) and we will usually plan a rough itinerary at home (we often don't make advance reservations because we like to keep our flexibility). I will sit in my "chair" for many hours looking at my maps and map books trying to find interesting routes. Planning is part of the fun. But I must admit that now, if I have a map in my lap...my laptop is at my side :). Hard to believe that when I went to college a computer meant using 80 column punch cards and knowing how to write a program. How times have changed. My phone and home router both have more processing power then my first home computer. We have lived in a very exciting time....for techies.

Hank

• I speak a tiny bit of French from high school.........
  • Everywhere I've been in Europe, people have spoken English--for which I'm very grateful--but you know the reputation of the French!

Q_C

Erm......no.........what exactly is our reputation??:D

Erm......no.........what exactly is our reputation??:D

Do you really not know? :D Let's just say the French are seen as not being very hospitable. It's probably as unfair as the reputation Americans have for being ugly. The actions of a few get attributed to all. My daughter has traveled with me since she was very young and we've been appalled by the way we've seen some Americans behave! They do things we wouldn't dream of doing anywhere let alone if we were in another country!

Actually, I find the French to be very hospitable. They emphasize formality and respect over familiarity with strangers. So long as manners are observed (say "bonjour!"), they will reciprocate in kind.

As far as the French speaking English to foreigners, we should not complain until we are able and willing to speak other languages to our visitors. Again, saying "Bonjour, parlez-vous anglais?" should find a lot more people trying to use their high school English with tourists.

Actually, I find the French to be very hospitable. They emphasize formality and respect over familiarity with strangers. So long as manners are observed (say "bonjour!"), they will reciprocate in kind.

As far as the French speaking English to foreigners, we should not complain until we are able and willing to speak other languages to our visitors. Again, saying "Bonjour, parlez-vous anglais?" should find a lot more people trying to use their high school English with tourists.

I hope you didn't infer that I was saying I find the French inhospitable personally (I was saying that's their reputation) nor that I expect everyone in the world to speak English for my benefit. I'm always cognizant that I'm in a country where English isn't the language. I find it remarkable when I hear an American complaining when someone doesn't speak English...as if the entire world should because Americans travel. I always try to learn a few phrases in the native language so I can at least say please and thank you!

Actually, marazul has hit the nail on the head. It's a matter of everyday formalities. No-one from childhood upwards would ever enter a shop, pharmacy, café etc without sayng 'bonjour messieurs/dames. Anyone who doesn't - because they are unaware or uncomfortable - will be considered extremely rude and 'mal élevé (badly brought up) and treated accordingly.

The village schoolchildren who pass in the street when I am opening the shutters greet me with a 'bonjour madame' even though I know none of them personally. Politeness is ingrained.

And would it be correct for me to consider Americans inhospitable if I only spoke -and expected to be answered in - French in New York ???

Just saying!!!!!