Blue Hole and valuables

ktbw3830

Hello!

I'm cruising ncl getaway in April. We're thinking of doing a blue hole excursion on our own. After looking at a few videos on it, my question is - where do you leave your day bag while in the falls? Is it left in a safe place? I read somewhere that they're left with locals and sometimes things have been stolen. My boyfriend is a type 1 diabetic and needs insulin packed along for the day. We're probably going to keep cash and ID in a waterproof wallet while in the water. Any recommendations for a small waterproof wallet?

Also, do you have any recommendations for companies for the tour?

Thanks!

I'd not recommend going on your own. It is a very difficult place to get to. It's in the middle of nowhere in Jamaica. I recommend Peat Taylor tours to get to the blue hole. Your personal belongings can be left on the tour vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you can do the Blue Hole excursion on your own. You need a guide to show you all the jumps and get all the amazing pictures and such plus its about a 20 minute driv e up a mountain road that's one way and hard to get through.

I highly recommend Liberty tours with Ricardo. They keep all your belongings in the van/bus with you. You wouldn't be at the Blue Hole long enough for him to need his insulin and the excursion includes going for lunch so he could eat and all that.

Our family hired Courtney Taylor and he was great. Within 5 minutes, I felt he would take care of us and our belongings. I think we took most of our stuff out of the car and left it near him. Honestly, all of these tour operators earn their livelihood through recommendations. They want you to have the best time in Jamaica.

The tour guide at the blue hole made sure I was safe and held on to me while we were hiking through a slippery path. He was scrawny but actually very strong! He probably only earns what people tip him.

Also, do you have any recommendations for companies for the tour?

We are booked with Liberty Tours for a trip to the Blue Hole & Secret Falls within the next 2 weeks. They have TERRIFIC reviews on Trip Advisor so we are giving them a shot. I will let you know as soon as we get back how it went. I am a little nervous as I think the trip to the Blue Hole is about a 2 hour ride from Montego Bay which is where our ship ports, but Ricardo, the owner of Liberty Tours lives in MoBay and this is the trip he recommended for me. I told him we didn't have to go to the Blue Hole, just wanted a guide for the day and have a little water time and some jerk chicken......he said the Blue Hole is the best and time won't be a problem. Ok, giving it a whirl!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked with Liberty Tours for a trip to the Blue Hole & Secret Falls within the next 2 weeks. They have TERRIFIC reviews on Trip Advisor so we are giving them a shot. I will let you know as soon as we get back how it went. I am a little nervous as I think the trip to the Blue Hole is about a 2 hour ride from Montego Bay which is where our ship ports, but Ricardo, the owner of Liberty Tours lives in MoBay and this is the trip he recommended for me. I told him we didn't have to go to the Blue Hole, just wanted a guide for the day and have a little water time and some jerk chicken......he said the Blue Hole is the best and time won't be a problem. Ok, giving it a whirl!! :)

What is secret falls

• 1 month later...

How did it go? Happy with liberty? How was blue hole and secret falls?

What is secret falls

Highly recommend using LIBERTY TOURS JAMAICA! Used them

twice to visit the Blue Hole and it was AMAZING! No need to worry

about your personal belongings, as they are kept safe locked in their

van. There is an informative video posted on Liberty Tours website

that shows you in depth what you will experience at the Blue Hole.

My family enjoyed this day to the max. The guides at the Blue Hole

helped us navigate the entire time. The waterfall is refreshing and the water was so turquoise. This was the best day of our cruise vacation

and a memory that will last a lifetime. Thanks to RICARDO!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you've already been on your cruise already but we just got back from our Western Caribbean cruise on the Navigator of the Seas. We booked a tour with Jamaica Phil to go to the Blue Hole. From the time that Phil picked us up at the port until the time that he dropped us back off, he was entertaining, funny, informative and very concerned that we would have a great time during our time on his island.

First stop was the Blue Hole, which is a series of waterfalls in which you jump from into pools of water - then get out and go to the next one. It was soooo beautiful there, uncrowded and the "guides" there at the location were very careful to make sure that we didn't slip and fall. Very nice guys.

From there Phil took us to a small private beach that is next to the Riu resort in Ochos Rios. OMG, the water, the beach...I could have been there all day. It was gorgeous. I don't know that I've seen water that blue. We were there about 30 minutes. After that, we went to a little roadside restaurant/bar sitting on a cliff overlooking the ocean/bay with more of that absolutely BLUE water.

Then...back to the pier. The entire day lasted about 5.5-6 hours total - it was a bit of a drive to the Blue Hole - but it was very interesting to see "local" Jamaica vs a "false" resort. It definitely seems to be a poverty ridden island, which is very sad - but then again, you see new homes being built, so maybe things are starting to look up there.

If you're thinking about the Blue Hole, I'd 100% recommend Phil Lafayette with Jamaica Phil Tours. FANTASTIC tour!

Could anyone let me know a price for Liberty Tours? Going with a group of college students and looking to find a cheaper excursion.

I booked the Blue Hole with lunch through Liberty for $150 for two. Tour includes to/from Blue Hole, entry into Blue Hole and lunch.

I booked the Blue Hole with lunch through Liberty for $150 for two. Tour includes to/from Blue Hole, entry into Blue Hole and lunch.

It depends on where you are porting. We are out of Ocho Rios which is not as far away as Mo Bay. The rates would be different. Best bet is to email Liberty Tours and get a quote. The response to me was very quick.

Have a great cruise!

Momonthego is right, I would email and get a quote. Ricardo is very good at responding and communicating.

We went out of MoBay with Liberty Tours last week to the Blue Hole. It was $75 per person (there were 9 of us). It included transport, entrance into the Blue Hole and lunch at Scotchie's. Would use Liberty Tours again in a heart beat.

Momonthego is right, I would email and get a quote. Ricardo is very good at responding and communicating.

We went out of MoBay with Liberty Tours last week to the Blue Hole. It was $75 per person (there were 9 of us). It included transport, entrance into the Blue Hole and lunch at Scotchie's. Would use Liberty Tours again in a heart beat.

Did the $75 p/p include the food for lunch to or did you have to pay for the food? If you did pay for food, could I ask how much you think it would be for 4 adults with a couple of adult beverages for lunch? Really want to try this place Scotchies.

Did the $75 p/p include the food for lunch to or did you have to pay for the food? If you did pay for food, could I ask how much you think it would be for 4 adults with a couple of adult beverages for lunch? Really want to try this place Scotchies.

The $75 pp included everything, transport, admission to Blue Hole and lunch. Lunch was jerk chicken (we may have had option of pork, can't remember), either rice and peas or festival bread and a drink (bottled water or soda). I found a picture of their menu online - this is in Jamaican dollars. Scotchie's definitely worth it!

632134711_Scotchiesmenu.jpg.eab1d80fbc5e6d9e2af5e216a61a426a.jpg