Malta Beaches

I have searched the forum, but info about Malta beaches is tough to find. Perhaps because the beaches are not that great?

We are on a 12 day Med cruise in June and Malta is our last stop. We plan to do it on our own. I am concerned that we will be toured out and that a beach day might be in order. Would you recommend taking the HOHO to the NW beaches, or the local bus? There are 6 of us, so I think a taxi would be tough. If we do decide to go to the beach, which one would you recommend? We would prefer a nice sandy beach with less tourists and with restrooms and somewhere to grab a snack. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

I have searched the forum, but info about Malta beaches is tough to find. Perhaps because the beaches are not that great?

We are on a 12 day Med cruise in June and Malta is our last stop. We plan to do it on our own. I am concerned that we will be toured out and that a beach day might be in order. Would you recommend taking the HOHO to the NW beaches, or the local bus? There are 6 of us, so I think a taxi would be tough. If we do decide to go to the beach, which one would you recommend? We would prefer a nice sandy beach with less tourists and with restrooms and somewhere to grab a snack. Any recommendations? Thanks!!

The beaches are quite a trip away from the port. I was in Malta for a week and never went to a beach, the "beach" near our hotel was basically flat rocks right off the road. I think you'd be better off in a taxi at least that way you can arrange for a pick up time as well. Consider a nice relaxing day on board the empty ship, get a spa pass for that day, perhaps just wander quickly through Valetta (the port isn't far at all) and unwind at a street cafe near the Cathedral.

In Malta there's a lot of beaches and the water is so beautiful. Most of the beaches are rocky not sandy. A very popular beach is Ghadira Bay in the north of the island, in the village of Mellieha. It is about 45 minutes away from the Valletta cruise terminal. You can either catch a bus or taxi. This beach is a long stretch of sand with a lot of restaurants, with umbrellas and deck chairs and water sports for hire. Beaches on the sister islands of Gozo and Comino are much nicer and quieter but it's a longer way to get there because you have to catch a ferry.

There are always options and possibilities (and even sandy beaches!) :)

http://www.beachholidayguide.co.uk/malta_best_beaches.php]

Mellieha Bay/Ghadira Bay in Mellieha is accessible via bus number 44 or 45 from Valletta or number 48 from the Bugibba Bus Terminal. Getting bus tickets should be easy - usually from any hotel desk or tobacco shop (and inexpensive.) There are many snack bars and cafes, as well as water sports options in this, the largest sand beach on Malta. It gets crowded in Summer! Lounges and umbrellas can be rented. The link contains info on other beaches and the way to get to them.

Resting on a beach would be a nice way to relax after many busy port stops, as well as enjoy a very 'Mediterranean Day' and do a little something different off-ship too. Using the buses should go very well as the locals rely on them too to get around the island - just be sure to know the schedule for returning back later on in the day.

Enjoy your cruise and if it works out, your Malta beach day :)