P&O State of Origin cruise?

SpokaneDan

Hi fellow cruisers, family of 3 (16 yo DD) are planning our first Australian trip for June 2017 and booked for P&O's GBR (Cairnes, Hamilton Is, and Willis Island) cruise departing Brisbane on June 18. We were just informed that this was changed to Sydney/Newcastle/Moreton Is as the State of Origin Cruise. We are disappointed. However, visiting Syd is on our agenda anyway, and we could arrange a trip to Cairnes on our own.

My questions/concerns are:

--None of us are rugby fans, and travelling with sports fans - what is the atmosphere like (worrying about too much drinking/rowdiness)? My apology to Rubgy fans - just drawing from my limited experience with US sports fans.

-- missing Hamilton and Willis (anchor drop only)) Is., are those big losses?

We could transfer our booking to the same cruise itin. one week later, but at a $400 cost, and a redo of our planned itin. Should we transfer?

Appreciate your insights and opinions,

Edited by SpokaneDan
clarify

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

We were booked on same cruise and opted to change to 21 July, 2017 cruise to keep same itinerary to North Qld.

We did not have to pay extra even though the fares have risen.

P&O just changed our date and the cost remained the same.

We also received an extra $25.00 pp OBC.

Kept the same cabin as well.

We booked this cruise on $1.00 deposit promotion and now don't have to pay balance of deposit until 22 January and final balance in May 2017.

• 3 weeks later...
We could transfer our booking to the same cruise itin. one week later, but at a $400 cost, and a redo of our planned itin. Should we transfer?

Appreciate your insights and opinions,

If you aren't dedicated NRL fans, definitely choose another cruise (at any cost, LOL). It is full on rugby league, with loads of yobbos that, if I had a 16yo daughter, I would NOT like her being around.

• 3 weeks later...
If you aren't dedicated NRL fans, definitely choose another cruise (at any cost, LOL). It is full on rugby league, with loads of yobbos that, if I had a 16yo daughter, I would NOT like her being around.

I agree. We were on a P & O cruise in 2015 when a State of origin game was on. The day of the game and the day after was full on with supporters of both sides over doing it. If you are not interested I would change.

If P&O have changed the schedule I would ring them, be very polite and ask for a no cost transfer. They are usually accommodating in matters like this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just back from a cruise and the shore tour/future cruise sales officer was telling us that on the last State of Origin cruise she was on it was 80% males of around 40-45 years old with a lot of testosterone. They drank the ship dry - completely out of alcohol on the first day. She said it was a very wild trip. Not sure where the trip was from or where to.

I would change my trip if I was in your shoes.

Thank you all, I actually changed my cruise prior to reading your replies already.:) I booked GBR cruise from Brisbane one week later. It cost about 120 AUD more per person - P&O would not budge on waiving that off (did not expect them to, but had to try). Though this wholesale change of itinerary has never happened to us before. We have the 2+ weeks in Oz., so could not use the other options P&O provided. Looks like your rugby fans will get along with our ice hockey fans! :rolleyes: Looking forward being Down Under for the first time, cheers!

Australia looks forward to welcoming you to our shores. Sensible that you have changed from the State of Origin cruise for safer to watch it on TV. I am sure that you will enjoy the GBR and Hamilton Island is in a very special area of the reef. Willis Island is quite interesting only a 30 minute anchor drop stop but it allows the cruise to be classified as an international cruise and can therefore sell duty free alcohol and cigarettes. weatherwise your timing is excellent.