Duty Free Liquar shop in San Juan Airport?

coronawomen

I was reading the posts and I think there is a misunderstanding. Duty Free requires you to show a ticket indicating that you are leaving that day. They greet you at the plane and you get your stuff from them at boarding. Unless they don't enforce the rules, you cannot arrive at the San Juan airport, buy duty free liquor, and then go to the cruise ship and take it on with you. If that was your plan, then you should plan to stop at a supermarket on the way to the pier. The prices are cheap in general, but will be way cheaper than anything on the ship anyway.

Okay, but wouldn't a cruise ship ticket also count as "leaving that day" ? My husband wants to bring some champagne for our anniversary cruise. The ship lists Martini & Rossi Asti Spumanti as $24. The savings at home isn't worth packing it in our check-in luggage. Would prices be cheaper at the port or airport? or at a San Juan grocery store?

We were on the Destiny in October last year! The San Juan AIrport was excellent in DF Shopping.

They didn't not make us wait until boarding to get it. They had special bags that they sealed the liquor in and tagged it. It was given to us right there as we paid for it.

It was awesome \

on the way home my brother who had bought his limit on the cruise and carefully packed it in his checked luggage....already thru customs...was able to buy his limit AGAIN at the airport and carried it on the plane...in one of those specially sealed bags!

You can always try...if not there is wine/Martini Rossi available at the grocery store just down from the pier and a liquor store right at the pier!

Duty free shops open at 6am. We bought a few bottles and took them with us. We had to change planes in Newark and since we did not leave the secure area, had no problems bringing them home.

Bon voyage!

• 9 years later...

Most of these posts are for arriving back in SJ. We are embarking SJ on a cruise, we need to purchase 2 or 3 bottle of wine to bring aboard the ship. Are the wine shops near the baggage claim or should we wait until the cruise pier shop? Thanks

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, does anyone know currently how early the liquor store opens for flights out? We are spending the night in San Juan and are looking at an early morning flight out. Would love to grab a few bottles at the duty free shops to take home that we don't have to pack. :cool:

I know this is an old thread, does anyone know currently how early the liquor store opens for flights out? We are spending the night in San Juan and are looking at an early morning flight out. Would love to grab a few bottles at the duty free shops to take home that we don't have to pack. :cool: