dawn & seasick

mike52994

There is plenty out there. I personally like to use bonine. There is also dramamine, the patch, or wristbands to name a few. For a ten year old I would probably have him use the wristbands. I believe there are some herbs out there also but don't off hand remember the names.

NCL Dawn 9/25/05

Never give a child under 12 anything, including herbal/homeopathic medication, without discussing with his or her health care provider first. Their metabolism and body makeup are different than adults, need to be very careful, especially if they have any health conditions or are taking any other medications regularly. (I am a health care provider). Sea Bands are non-medicinal, just acupressure, so should be no problem with those.

While on our last cruise, 3 out of 7 in my group were seasick. One was so bad, she went to the Dr. The first thing he told her was to get rid of the patch. He said it only makes the problem worse. That seems to be an opinion held by many ships doctors.

Within hours, those that had the patch on were feeling much better and as the conditions at sea hadn't changed, his opinion seems to have some merit.

Scopalomine (the patch's main ingredient) has some nasty, NASTY side effects. The one and only time I had any I had visual and auditory hallucinations and awful dizziness (which is what seasickness is, mainly, by the way). I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy, much less my best friend, but that is a matter of personal opinion. I have Meniere's disease (a disease of the balance organs of the inner ear) and I do just fine with sea bands and ginger capsules.

I took Bonine on the Dawn--it helped a lot. And when it sometimes didn't help completely (we were 8 hours late getting back to NY due to very high seas), I just went and had a couple frozen margaritas with a shot of Cuervo on the side. That actually worked, too! :)

Next time I want to also bring along ginger capsules. That sounds interesting and I have read a number of posts suggesting it.

I tried the bands and ginger on our cruise and I did get very sick the first night. I then took bonine and I was fine. I think it depends on you. I took the less drowsy formula and it really wasn't bad. I was so afraid I was going to be tired but in hind sight I would have rather been a little tired than sick. If you get car sick, can't read in a car etc. I would go ahead and take the bonine for the first couple of days and then switch to the sea bands and ginger if needed. I only took the bonine for a couple of days and then I was fine.

I also think that there is now a Bonine for children, but I would definitely check with your doc. ahead of time.

Archived