Celebrity constellation

englishgal

Just returned from the Baltic cruise on Constellation. It was superb and the facitities for me were excellent. Nothing too much trouble.

Shore excursion desk were excellent and we did several tours with my scooter or a manual wheelchair loaned by them.

our cabin 6109, was great and they even put me a lounger chair on the balcony for me to rest on when I ached!!

The overall of the ship is wonderful and I recommend it to anyone.

Hi englishgal

Glad you enjoyed your cruise. We are on the Constellation at the end of October around the Med and my husband uses a scooter. I've a few questions, that hopefully you can help with

1)Did you have any tender ports, and if so could you get ashore?

2)Were all your excursions Celebrity ones, or did you do any on your own?

3)How is the dining room for getting about on your scooter?

4)Is there anywhere that's more difficult to get to on the boat

5)Any other tips & hints would be brill

Thanks in advance

Hello there

There were no tender ports on this cruise, but I have done tender ports on other ones. Celebrity are very good and will loan you one of their manual chairs if you ask in advance. Depending on the weather, they will also lift the scooter onto the tender if hubby can manage a few steps himself.

The dining room was very accessible, but they did put us on a table near to the door. Are you in a handicapped cabin? If so you will be fine as they will know that one of you is disabled, otherwise ask when you get on board.

Only deck 12 and the bridge were inaccessible. The pools all had lifts to get us in. We thought the whole ship was excellent

Hope this helps. any other questions I would try and help with

Sorry forgot to answer about trips.

Yes, this time we used Celebrity as we had not ever been to these ports before. They were excellent and loaned me a wheelchair if the coach could not get my scooter in. We thought them very good value for money. But if you know the ports, do your own. We have very often got a taxi that will take the scooter and arranged a price with them. Sometimes gone with people we meet on the dining table to help with the cost.

Thank you so much for your replies. Yes we do have an accessible cabin, so that should be fine. We went for an inside one on deck 3. We only have one tender port in France, so fingers crossed we will be able to get ashore, as we have to go to Monaco to stand on the corner with the cafe where the Grand Prix goes ! How did you find the lifts, was it as stressful as people have said previously?

Will you be doing a review at all, with pictures?

Thank you again

Hi englishgal

I have two port questions related to the scooter.

1. Were there any ports that the scooter had difficulty navigating?

2. Was one of the ports St. Petersburg? If so, how did you manage that one for mobility on the tours? Did you use the wheelchair or the scooter?

Thanks for the info.

Joy

St Petersburg is a very difficult city to get around with a scooter. Most of the major sites are not accessible as they have loads of stairs and no ramps. Russia is far behind the times with regards to accessibility. Few elevators, and if you do find an historic building with one, they rarely work.

I highly recommend doing private tours rather than ones with the cruise ship. The buses they use do not have lifts and cannot handle scooters. The Hermitage is loads of walking with stairs everywhere, and the three times I've been there, the elevator did not work. Unless you can do stairs, getting into places like Catherine's Palace, Pushkin and the rest will be impossible. It's too bad it's like this because St Petersburg is a beautiful city.

• 1 month later...

The German port and Tallin were very difficult because of the cobbled streets. Do a tour as that will be so much better for you. Celebrity will loan you a manual wheelchair if the coach cannot take your scooter. Ask at shore excursions.

We did a tour in St Petersburg, but I stayed on the ship when my husband did the Hermitage.

The lifts are fine. Yes dinner times they get busy, but just be patient and you will get there. Remember, you are on holiday!

Happy cruising

• 1 month later...

has anyone tried to do the Greek Isles & Turkey Cruise with a scooter my husband has MS and cant walk around to much we want to do this cruise on the clelebrity constellation next year. the stops are istanbul , ephesus, santorini, mykonos, athens, crete, marmaris and bodrum. any advise would be great...

thanks

Archived