23 May Alaska Cruise on Mariner

C&R Kitty

This will be our first cruise with Regent and our first time to cruise Alaska. We'd like some advice on what we can expect on both the ship and cruising Alaska. Broad topics but we'd like to hear from some Regent vetreans. :)

I also was a cruising virgin, a Regent virgin and an Alaskan virgin when I went on an Alaskan cruise on Mariner, Vancouver to Whittier on 24 May 2006. And I enjoyed the best holiday I have had in my entire life (of 80 years!)

From embarkation, being greeted by the captain, introduced to our suite with flowers, fruit and champagne to being pampered everywhere, this hooked me to cruising with Regent.

Take advantage of as many excursions as you can. A highlight for me was the Tracey Arm and Sawyer Glacier. Well worth it. Go whale watching if you enjoy wild life. Get a good spot in the observation lounge to see the Hubbard Glacier. Take advantage of the excellent food by trying all the restaurants.

The weather was great whilst we were there, but take some warm weather clothing just in case. Don't forget your camera, you will take more pictures that you thought possible.

The staff will be superb if they treat you like they treated us with no expectation of gratuities.

Enjoy a wonderful time.

Wow, I'm on the same cruise and have been haunting this board for ideas. Myself and two women friends (all around 60) are all cruising for the very first time ever and really looking forward to this. I'm really wondering about how to pack--I have a three-in-one jacket which I hope will work for the whole trip. And a pair of waterproof shoes. The weather is difficult for me--Alaska, yet it's the end of May. We're all so excited. Again, any excursion tips are welcome. I read somewhere on this board that the Tracy Arm excursion (disembark 7:30 a.m.--rejoin in Juneau) does not go until June--I had wanted to take that. Any ideas or thoughts to share about anything will be helpful for these first-timers! Thanks so much!!

Hello all you "virgins" out there. (Said with tongue in cheek). My sister and I took this trip this past summer (June). We are late 60's & early 70's and very active. We were not Regent virgins but let me tell you it was wonderful with a capital W. From the minute we stepped on board until disembarking it was non-stop WOW! You step into the beautiful atrium, look up and just say "Oh my gosh". Take advantage of the Observation Lounge, it was our favorite place on the ship. Re: tours -if at all possisble take the helicopter/dog sled tour out of Juneau. It was pricey but well worth it. An experience you will not forget. Tracey Arm was also incredible but you say it's not available on your cruise, probably too early. The flight plane trip out of Skagway was really neat, you can only get that perspective of Alaska from the air. Re: How to pack - do lots of layering. Take a warm jacket (ours were down but not big & bulky) I started w/ a long sleeve blouse, added a cashmere sweater and then the jacket. If it got too warm I just started taking it off. Take a couple scarfs to wrap around your neck, a warm hat that wll cover your ears (it can get windy) and warm gloves and you're good to go. I was very comfortable the whole time. Make sure you make reservations for Latitudes and Signatures, they are both very special. The food in all the restuarants was great. I know you will have a wonerful cruise, just enjoy and do all you can do. Also, go to Denali if possible, truly beautiful. You have to get off the ship to really see Alaska.

Greytstuff is right. Layering is the way to go.

About the Tracey Arm excursion---Don't write it off. We left Vancouver on 24 May 2006 and Tracey Arm was available. There were a lot of ice-floes about but the catamaran negotiated them and they made our trip memorable. The cat got quite close to the glacier and we saw a black bear on shore having just woken up from hibernation and feeling hungry. Which, by the way, you won't be, as the catamaran carried plenty of food and drink.

Thanks for that info. I only read on this board it that the Tracey Arm excursion won't be available, but from what I understand you engage that excursion on board--not in advance. If available, we will definitely do that. Again, please--any input. I'm thinking of the White Rail Pass Train in Skagway (maybe that's not quite right--and should we do just the 3.5 hour train, or the longer one that is train plus bus), and Captain Larry in Juneau, and Captain Davey in Sitka--but this is all info from this board. Maybe those two are too much alike. We're not crazy about flying excursions, but would make an exception if something were "can't be missed." Never having done this, I don't know if its best to book the excursion through Regent ahead of time, or wait till we get there--or just what. I'm a fairly well-traveled person, but this cruise thing is all new to me so I need all the help I can get. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions!!!

I think you can check the http://www.rssc.com website at 120 days prior to your cruise and see what shore excursions are available. At least it will give you an idea if the Tracy Arm excurision is available. You can "reserve" your choices.

You'll need to register and login with your booking number etc.

Enjoy your "virgin" voyage. I know you'll love it!

I, too, had read on this board that Tracey Arm would not be available for the first northbound voyage. However as ITravelNow says the excursion was offered on RSSC website so we booked it ahead. Mariner takes you to the mouth of Tracey Arm and you disembark onto the catamaran at about 7 am which takes you further in where Mariner cannot go.

I took the White Pass Railroad in Skagway. Lovely scenery, very popular, but the train goes high into the mountains to the border and returns by the same route. Personally, I was a bit bored on the return route but I heard many enthusing about it and there is not a lot else to do in Skagway.

Like you, I had read a lot about Capt Larry and, in fact, e-mailed him with enquiries about timing, cost etc. His organisation was slow to reply and didn't answer all my questions, so I gave him up and booked the Regent trip in Juneau. I certainly did not regret it. Regent use the same organisation for all of its water-borne excursions and they are very good with binoculars, food and drink usually supplied. This also applied to Sitka, which by the way, I found a most interesting place. It was from Sitka that we had the best whale spotting experience. Plenty of Orca and with an extinct volcano as a background we had some memorable shots.

We did not do any flying excursions but I have to say that those who did were ecstatic about their experience.

But my greatest pleasure was sitting in the observation lounge after dinner with a drink watching the sun go down, the piano tinkling soft music in the background, spotting seals and dolphins while drifting along to our next port of call. It was the nearest thing to heaven I have experienced.

This is so great--I've finally connected with someone whose done this cruise! Sitting in the lounge having cocktails and looking out at the sea sounds like heaven to me too! I have more questions, like, do people often go back to the ship for lunch when in port? After dinner, do people disembark again while in port? What is the general idea--get off in the morning and come back at dinner time? I must sound like a real idiot, but never having cruised, except for a transatlantic in my 20s, I don't "know the ropes." Frankly, having cocktails with gorgeous views and wonderful dinners on Regent are definitely going to be part of my highlights!

Hi HollDoll,

Whether you go back to ship for lunch will be relevant to what time your shore excursions are and whether you are bethed or using the tender. When we were in Juneau we were berthed but that's not always the case. It's my understanding the ships rotate. If you berth it's right down town, you just get off the ship and walk to town. I liked Juneau a lot. In Sitka there's not a pier so you use the tender. You will just have to play that by ear. Don't worry, you won't have a difficult time figuring it out. You won't be leaving the ship at the end of the day as you leave from the ports around 5 p.m. We took the White Pass Rail trip. It was beautiful even though the weather that day was misty and overcast. It was rather long and a bit boring coming back the same route. We also saw the most whales out of Sitka (Binkey's, Orcas, and Greys). Sitka was probably my favorite port, it's very beauiful and interesting. Do utilize the Observation Lounge, sometimes we practically had the place to ourselves. We would always have our pre-dinner cocktail there. The waiters were fabulous and after the first time, knew what we wanted and just brought it to us. There was one guy who was so incredibly cute I was wishing I was quite a few years younger. Oh well!! The only time it was crowded was the morning we were at Hubbard Glacier. Get yourself up early and up there because that's the only place to be for viewing that glacier. They will have a Continental breakfast all layed out for you. There was a wonderful guitarist that played up there on our trip so I hope he's there for you to enjoy. Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for all your help! As long as I've engaged a few people here who've "been there"--here's a few more questions. We'll be arriving in Vancouver around noon the day before sailing (we're all from Milwaukee). Any suggestions as to how best utilize our time in Vancouver--the afternoon, following morning, and/or any suggestions as to where to dine that evening? We like "very nice" but not ultra expensive. Also, when we arrive in Anchorage (I think early afternoon), we unfortunately have to go right back home the same day--no time for extensions. However, our flight doesn't leave Anchorage until midnight (how hateful!). Any ideas of what to do with that time? I read somewhere about a glacier tour or something in Anchorage? Also, I read somewhere (I can't remember what I've all read!) that Regent provides a room at a Hilton or somewhere where we can at least park our bags for that day so we can be free of them until we go to the airport. Is this true? I know I'll probably find all this out through Regent eventually, but organized person that I am, the more info I can gather in advance, the happier I'll be. Thanks again in advance for all the help!!

As Greytstuff says, in general Mariner sails during the night. However, your first day out of Vancouver is a sailing day and this gives you time to get to know the ship and the facilities on board. We had flown from the UK the day before sailing and we stayed in Vancouver at the Pan Pacific, right on Canada Place where Mariner berthed. After the long flight we were tired and went to bed early. Next morning we watched folk disembarking from Mariner and took a stroll around the old quarter around there. We were able to check in around 1230 and were welcomed on board. Our suite was ready about 2.30.

Apart from that first day, we found that we had berthed in each of the ports (tendered at Sitka) in the morning and when we hadn't planned an excursion were free to wander off and look around the shops, stretch our legs or participate in any shore based activity. We always went back to Mariner for food, either at the Veranda or room service during the day. In the evening usually around 5 pm off we sailed to the next port and the resident lecturer would give out lots of interesting information on what was around us, including wild life.

I can't help about Anchorage, I am afraid. Our flight was around lunch time to connect with the UK bound flight ex-Seattle in the evening. Whether Regent can get you a day room would rather depend, I guess, on whether they have organised your internal transport.

All, thank you for your replys, they do help. We're still curious about what exactly is the dress for this Alaska cruise. I'd think that during the day it would be jeans and cold weather jackets especially if you're doing port visits. What should we plan on for the evenings? Are the shows on-board worth seeing? Which ports are really worth spending time in?

This is a dual purpose visit. We are planning a world cruise in the next few years and we are seeing which cruise line best suits us. So this is the first in a series of cruises we are booked for and Alaska is one of the places we wanted to see. We also intend on spending a lot of time on-board. Your recommendations are appreciated.

You are right about dress for port days. If you get off ship plan to dress warmly in late May. Layered clothing is ideal. Though we had no rain, remember that the area is famed for wet weather and expect no less, though I hope you, too, will be lucky. On board the air con is good. It will probably be too cold to lounge around on the pool deck and the Pool Grill may not always be open. They do try, however, and you can always help yourself and take your food inside to the Veranda, if you wish.

Plan your evening wear according to the dress code Regent suggest for the evening. The alaskan cruise doesn't have a formal night, but people are usually smart. Other threds have covered this subject extensively.

We found the shows to be worth going to. Not exactly Broadway stuff, but a pleasant hour after dinner. Not to be missed if it is offered, is the final farewell night where the crew entertain with some quite talented performers. You will find your cabin steward or your waiter may be performing. Sit near the front and you may be dragged in. By the way, don't miss the commentaries by the guest lecturer on Alaska as you sail along. Very informative.

All the ports are worth having a look around. We liked Sitka, especially, with it's Russian influence. Nothing much at Skagway, Juneau is very walkable and Ketchican has an interesting old area a little (5 minutes) back from the dock. We took most waterborne excursions because we were fascinated with whales, sealions, dolphins sea otters etc. and we were not disappointed. As I said before, we took Regent excursions. Maybe we paid a little more but I don't think so, and we got superb service so I don't regret it.

Enjoy yourselves. It can be the holiday of a lifetime.

We did the S/B cruise in August on Mariner. What we liked best was the onboard narration that described all we were seeing. You could hear it in the forward observation lounge......or the upper decks. The Captain would also stop or spin the ship around if we saw anything interesting. It was a GREAT cruise. We had over 2 hours notice we were going to pass a school of killer whales. We also saw humpbacks breaching and puffins. Now with booze included.......there's nothing NOT to like!

We sailed Alaska on the Mariner June7, 2006. At that time, the Tracy Arm excursion was available and a wonderful experience.

On your questions about Anchorage. We too had a midnight flight out. We booked our air through Regent, and took the train transfer to Anchorage and they supplied us with a dayroom at the Hilton. ( we were not able to get access to room til about 3pm though.) They also had a Hospitality suite there, so we were able to leave our luggage there and go for lunch and exploring the area. The Hilton is in the main shopping, restaurant area, so you are able to walk everymore from there. We did not go to any other sightseeing areas( Museums etc.) In the afternoon, we went to our room and rested , showered , and ordered dinner in, before heading to the airport. There is a shuttle van or bus for Regent supplied transfer to the Airport. I can't remember how often it ran, but I think it was every 45min. or hour?

This was our first Regent cruise and we absolutely loved it! Next cruise, I am looking forward to longer cruise with some sea days, just to get to enjoy the ship itself, more. You will not regret booking this cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

The latest information from our travel agent is that according to Regent, at the end of the cruise on May 30, we will stay on-board until noon, then we take a bus into Anchorage, about a two hour drive. The train is no longer an option, another cruise line bought it. The bus will take us to the Anchorage Hilton where Regent will have a day room available for us or we can get a room at the hotel. Most folks will go out sightseeing to pass the time. We will get transfered from the hotel at least two hours prior to departure of the 11:55 p.m. flight to the airport. The United flight for us is to Denver then back home to DC. Nothing like a red-eye!

In Vancouver try Joe Fortes restaurant for dinner and it's reasonably priced. Ask to be seated upstairs. You probably can walk there from your hotel. For lunches in port the Skagway Fish House just off the dock has wonderful halibut fish & chips and a supurb fresh king crab legs. The restaurant beyond the cable car in Juneau (I think it's called Twisted Fish) and in the building with the Taku Fish store has an excellent selection of fish dishes. The fresh halibut, sablefish (black cod) and crab in Alaska are well worth enjoying in port rather than on the ship.

Sorry to jump in late, but I just got on the site after a few days.

We did S/B June of '05, one of the last from Seward. I don't think the train is as important to and from the ship as Seward was a much longer trip than Whittier. We took the RSSC bus from Anchorage. We left after the train and arrived and hour or two before the train. I don't know what kind of problems they may have run into.

Check out the White Pass schedule in Scagway, both with the cruise line and without. The difference in cost between booking through the cruise and not was only about five dollars and, when you book through the cruise, the train comes to the ship, saving you having to go to the terminal in town. One of the two trips from the ship that day was behind a steam engine, which is special as there are many trips per day, normally behind diesel. There's nothing like going up into the mountains behind a chugging, steam belching engine. It's a nice feeling to see passengers on the other trains rushing to the windows to take pictures of us as we passed. I felt special. Another choice would be to book through the railroad and go up by train and back by bus. The trip back gives you an entirely different view and there are stops for picture taking. So far as both ways by train, the trip up took most of the time as, on the downhill run, the train was really rolling.

We did not do Tracey Arm as we had booked a helicopter flight for that day and my wife was afraid of getting too worn out. People who went on the Tracey Arm tour said it was the highlight of the cruise. But, taking a helicopter to the glaciers where you make several landings to get out and walk around, isn't exactly chopped liver, either.:p

Archived