Freedom of the Seas for DD11 in wheelchair

Geldhart

I think many of the threads on this form deal with Adult cruisers with disabilities, and a few with children with Cognitive difficulties. My daughter is neither - she simply is having physical problems these days.

My DD11 appears to be coming down with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, and while this isn't confirmed yet (we see her doc on the 18th for her followup), she is having a great deal of problems with pain and fatigue. Three months ago, we just though she hurt her ankle in a mis-step, now we are filling out forms to get a handicapped parking placard - things change so fast, she just isn't the same kid.

With all she is going through (especially with the bullying and non-response from staff at school) there is no way we are planning on cancelling this cruise, which will be August 26 on Freedom of the Seas. She needs it, and will likely be spending a good deal of time in her wheelchair (a manual, collapsible one). She can take some steps, even on a bad day, and on good days she goes without the chair, but then tends to overdo it, and is confined to the chair for a few days.

Some questions:

1. How will she be treated by the staff? My DW and I were on the Freedom last year and were treated great, I'm really hoping she gets treated like a princess, especially after being told by a teacher to just "get up and walk". Will they understand that sometimes she will be able to walk all day, and other days, she will need the chair the whole time.

2. Any thoughts about how her peers on the ship will treat her? I know this is something that can change from sailing to sailing, but in general will she be ostracized because of her chair, or because she will use it sometimes, but not others? Her peers at school are a mixed bunch, her good friends are standing by her and are very sympathetic, others are accusing her of fakery and shoving her chair into walls.

3. How would Adventure Ocean be for her -- she doesn't want to be left out of everything just because she's in the chair. She's also quite mature for her age, and disappointed she can't be in the 12 and up group (which was our original plan, but things changed and it was either go earlier or wait over 2 more years. We chose Earlier, with her blessing).

3. Thoughts on these excursions for accessibility? These are the ones we booked prior to her even hurting her ankle in the first place. As part of "Happy Wife, Happy Life" we are only booking ship excursions, no private ones. I won my battle to drive about 5 hours to a different airport to save about 60% on airfare, I'm not going to nickle and dime on private vs ship excursions.

She can take some steps, and if she is having a good day, I do want her to enjoy herself and do what she wants. Obviously, on bad days, we may have to just eat the cost of an excursion we can't make - we are prepared for that - but it would be nice to know if excursions are likely to be doable even on bad days.

Coco Cay:

Aqua Park / Water Slide Combo

Charlotte Amalie:

She was booked for the Helmet Dive with me, but I am ruling that out right now as not the place to have a sudden problem. My DW and DS were planning on the Skyride and the Screaming Eagle. How would those be for DW if she is in the chair? We also need to consider the transportation issue to get to these locations as well.

St. Maarten

We are planning on going on the Lord Sheffield Tall Ship. My wife and I wanted to go on it last time, but due to Tropical Storm Emily ended up in Grand Cayman and Cozumel instead. Thoughts on accessibility of transportation. Once at the ship, we have no issues folding up the chair and helping her onto the ship.

Thanks all

Some questions:

1. How will she be treated by the staff? My DW and I were on the Freedom last year and were treated great, I'm really hoping she gets treated like a princess, especially after being told by a teacher to just "get up and walk". Will they understand that sometimes she will be able to walk all day, and other days, she will need the chair the whole time. If princess is 10 and the teacher is 1, then expect 8 or 9.

2. Any thoughts about how her peers on the ship will treat her? I know this is something that can change from sailing to sailing, but in general will she be ostracized because of her chair, or because she will use it sometimes, but not others? Her peers at school are a mixed bunch, her good friends are standing by her and are very sympathetic, others are accusing her of fakery and shoving her chair into walls. They did not know her before so she comes with wheelchair, itis just part of her. Can never tell about people, but my guess is OK.

3. How would Adventure Ocean be for her -- she doesn't want to be left out of everything just because she's in the chair. She's also quite mature for her age, and disappointed she can't be in the 12 and up group (which was our original plan, but things changed and it was either go earlier or wait over 2 more years. We chose Earlier, with her blessing). my guess is OK.

3. Thoughts on these excursions for accessibility? These are the ones we booked prior to her even hurting her ankle in the first place. As part of "Happy Wife, Happy Life" we are only booking ship excursions, no private ones. I won my battle to drive about 5 hours to a different airport to save about 60% on airfare, I'm not going to nickle and dime on private vs ship excursions. A private tour is not just about money, it is about group size, personal service and customizing for the customer(you). With a folding chair and limited walking she should be OK, IF she can get on/off big tour buses and has no balance problems. When she is walking, would a cane help or hurt?

She can take some steps, and if she is having a good day, I do want her to enjoy herself and do what she wants. Obviously, on bad days, we may have to just eat the cost of an excursion we can't make - we are prepared for that - but it would be nice to know if excursions are likely to be doable even on bad days. When I have a bad day it takes pain pills just to sit in my recliner and when I go to the pool everone ask me if I am OK. The point is, I can not know how bad a bad day is. Will the doctor give her some pain pills?

Coco Cay:

Aqua Park / Water Slide Combo

Charlotte Amalie:

She was booked for the Helmet Dive with me, but I am ruling that out right now as not the place to have a sudden problem. My DW and DS were planning on the Skyride and the Screaming Eagle. How would those be for DW if she is in the chair? We also need to consider the transportation issue to get to these locations as well.

St. Maarten

We are planning on going on the Lord Sheffield Tall Ship. My wife and I wanted to go on it last time, but due to Tropical Storm Emily ended up in Grand Cayman and Cozumel instead. Thoughts on accessibility of transportation. Once at the ship, we have no issues folding up the chair and helping her onto the ship.

Thanks all

See above in red.

Have a great time and wishing for good results.

Talk with your doctor about water based excursions. Water, especially warm water, can be wonderful. Plus the water supports you and allows you to exercise without discomfort. I would suggest keeping the helmet dive or even better a shore snorkel from an area with a beach wheelchair for getting into and out of the water.

I was just reading this review last night on the Royal Caribbean board. Starting on page 6 at about post 105, you can find a fairly detailed description of Coco Cay, and the Aqua Park, with pictures.

I don't have any first hand knowledge about Coco Cay, but I thought the review might answer some of your questions.

I'm also in a wheelchair, and on our cruise on Freedom last December, and the ship is extremely accessible. I think your daughter will have a wonderful time -- my nieces were treated like princesses. :)

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Archived