I need help with equipment

mayrubgar

I learned a good lesson on my first cruise about cameras and camcorders. I have a Nikon d90 and I was looking for a add on flash like they use on the ship. I saw a couple but not trying to spend a lot of money. I just want high quality picture without having to just purchase what they have on the ship. I also brought a camcorder last year the movies where shaky to say the least. I don't want to purchase an action cam if I don't have to because I would just get bored with it. I need suggestions saw a couple different items like dvr sun glasses. I want to purchase soon for a Christmas gift or late Christmas gift I sail January 10th 2015.

Pretty much everything you listed are independent, separate issues.

FLASH:

Why do you want a flash "like they use on the ship"? A flash will not necessarily make pictures better or worse. A flash just provides light. The camera, lens and camera operator (you) still have to take a good picture.

CAMCORDER:

Small anything tend to be shaky. A action camera will likely be more shaky than your current cam. Many camcorder models contain image stabilization of some type but they are limited in how much they can remove. It's still up to you to hold the camera steady. But in general smaller, lighter cameras are easier for you to shake. Bigger cameras provide more space for you get get a solid grip and their mass/weight resists movement.

DVR SUNGLASSES:

Really? and Why?

There are some very good cameras from several mfg.'s that shoot both stills and video. This would get you a two in one unit that works very well. Some have lenses that have Image Stabilization in them also which helps in the shaky issues. A good place to compare would be a Best Buy or large Camera store if one is near you.

• 2 weeks later...
I learned a good lesson on my first cruise about cameras and camcorders. I have a Nikon d90 and I was looking for a add on flash like they use on the ship. I saw a couple but not trying to spend a lot of money. I just want high quality picture without having to just purchase what they have on the ship. I also brought a camcorder last year the movies where shaky to say the least. I don't want to purchase an action cam if I don't have to because I would just get bored with it. I need suggestions saw a couple different items like dvr sun glasses. I want to purchase soon for a Christmas gift or late Christmas gift I sail January 10th 2015.

Some thoughts...

• Nikon has several flashes for different budgets.
  • the cheaper flashes can provide light, but it may not light up more than the current built in flash.
  • stronger flashes produce more light for distance, bouncing and diffusion
  • the flagship Nikon SB910 is the most flexible, but is the price beyond your budget. The flagship flash cost more because there are motors in the flash head to concentrate or spread the light pattern with zoom lens attached. It's also more solidly built for drops and the abuse of travel.
  • when I want more power, I reach for a Quantum Trio bare bulb

Shaky video?

• need to consider a monopod and/or tripod
  • I use Pinnacle Studio which has a stabilization video.

DVR sunglasses?

• how much can it store?
  • what's the image quality like?
  • how long does the battery last?
  • how long does the battery take to charge?

Flash:

Cheapest Nikon SB400, small light and can tilt vertically for good bounce diffusing

Next up is Nikon SB600, larger with more power and can both tilt and rotate for most flexibility.

Neither are manufactured so either have to buy used on eBay, CL, or Amazon.

Flash:

Cheapest Nikon SB400, small light and can tilt vertically for good bounce diffusing

Next up is Nikon SB600, larger with more power and can both tilt and rotate for most flexibility.

Neither are manufactured so either have to buy used on eBay, CL, or Amazon.

While discontinued... Nikon does have great replacements...

For power, flexibility and options for diffusion/bounce lighting

Edited by xlxo