Getting off the ship with a mobility scooter

annie0501

First of all, my experience is very limited (Bermuda/NE, Canada) so many more of you probably have a lot more to add.

I was always tentative about using a scooter to get on or off the boat. Here's what i found.

* in Bermuda, the gangway is relatively short and the tidal range limited. At first I thought this was a big challenge. My recent trip to Canada taught me otherwise. There were stewards to help you up and down, of course, but it is a relatively small incline and a relatively short distance. I could navigate the dockyards well, but wouldn't dare go beyond them.

*in Portland, we docked way the heck over by the ferry landing I(the Brilliance took the premiere spot. It was a very complicated path to get from the ship to the dock, but, with patience, and more practice under my belt. I navigated the ups and downs quite well, if I do say so myself. (Note: they also had a golf cart for more able bodied people to eliminate some of the long walk to get off the ship. Portland itself was tricky as there were so many crowds on the sidewalks, and the sidewalks had a propensity to list one way or the other, making me feel very much like I would tip over. That never happened, but it made me exceptionally nervous.

*In Bar Harbor, they wouldn't take any scooters on the tenders needed to go ashore. I stayed on the boat.

*St, John, NB is on the Bay of Fundy, which has extraordinary tidal ranges, getting on and off the ship through a series of ramps was very manageable. At first, I thought the range would make it impossible for me to get on and off, but I was wrong. Once inside, there was a handicapped-only elevator to take you down to the first floor of the terminal. We were docked at Marco Polo pier, I think. I stayed on the street nearest the dock; it was relatively flat, but, again, those inclines for parking made me exceptionally nervous. Even though they have an exemplary interior Pedway, making it relatively easy to ascend to the City Market (worth the trip), I could not make it into the entrance because of my scardy-ness-- the entrance at Market Square required a sharp left-tilting turn that I was sure would tip me over.

*In Halifax, the ramps to exit the ship were the steepest. We were docked at Pier 21. A steward essentially drove me down the ramps on exit. Coming back on was a big challenge, though, and I had to have significant help to get back on ship. It was a shame that this was the last port on our itinerary, as it left me with a bad taste. There was a Boardwalk, though that ran along the waterfront that was easily to drive on. But at a certain point, things went awry. The boards turned to gravel (got stuck) and finally I just gave up without being able to navigate to the museum about maritime history.

Just a brief precis of events. If any one has any questions, I would be happy to answer them if I can.

*In Halifax, the ramps to exit the ship were the steepest. We were docked at Pier 21. A steward essentially drove me down the ramps on exit. Coming back on was a big challenge, though, and I had to have significant help to get back on ship. It was a shame that this was the last port on our itinerary, as it left me with a bad taste. There was a Boardwalk, though that ran along the waterfront that was easily to drive on. But at a certain point, things went awry. The boards turned to gravel (got stuck) and finally I just gave up without being able to navigate to the museum about maritime history.

Just a brief precis of events. If any one has any questions, I would be happy to answer them if I can.

Being that the main activity and shops is past the gravel area, it's unfortunate that you didn't figure out that there's a main road that runs parallel to boardwalk .

Upon leaving the Halifax Cruise Pavilion you take the road that runs perpendicular to the cruise port to the main road about 1 block from terminal. Take a right turn and proceed until you see a small condo, shopping and restaurant area on the right. Turn into that area as it's just past the gravel area and it will get you back on the boardwalk. Sorry don't know the names of the street but have done this 2 times.