Received cabin assignment today for WB TA on QE2...

cunardfirsttimer

Hi all,

I've already posted this in the Winter Crossing Roll Call thread as well, but thought I would ask for comments -- we've been assigned a starboard cabin (which I know from reading here is not the best, but what can you do?) It's 2109, so we're aft/middle of Deck 2. It looks to be ok, but having never been on the QE2, I'm not sure.

Certainly appreciate any opinions or comments you'd like to share!

Frances

So, are you saying that even within each category, there are different cabin configurations? Since this is our first QE2 experience, I didn't have anything to draw from vis-a-vis a special cabin request.

I'm sure it's because we're next to that 3 cabin config. Wonder if there's any way to get a cabin change?

So, are you saying that even within each category, there are different cabin configurations?

Yes:eek: The chance of you having a similar same cabin on two trips is unlikely. There are some groups of cabins where the layout is similar but not that many. If you book a grill cabin you will get a reasonable standard of accommodation (although some of the cabins are still unusual shapes); if you book a M or C grade you get some very individual shapes:rolleyes:

For example P1s range in size from 221 sq ft to 264 sq ft. A high square footage does not necessarily mean a spacious cabin - the smaller cabins are designed to appear spacious whilst bigger cabins sometimes have wasted space!

2109 is 234 sq ft by the way:)

I had no idea...this is very informative. We shouldn't complain, as we are in Princess Grill, and I don't really expect to spend all that much time in the cabin. However, this is good information for future voyages, on any cruise line.

BTW...now I understand the thing that everyone does -- what did Matthew call it? Where everyone meets and then proceeds to visit everyone else's cabin, to assist in future cabin requests? :D

Frances

I had no idea...this is very informative. We shouldn't complain, as we are in Princess Grill, and I don't really expect to spend all that much time in the cabin. However, this is good information for future voyages, on any cruise line.

BTW...now I understand the thing that everyone does -- what did Matthew call it? Where everyone meets and then proceeds to visit everyone else's cabin, to assist in future cabin requests? :D

Frances

Cabin Cavalcade! Be there or be square. ;)

Frances

Went from nothing to double post, just like that.

I don't really expect to spend all that much time in the cabin.

I think you might be surprised. I think that the more space you feel you have in your cabin the more inclined you are to spend time in it. If you cabin only has a bed, a dressing table, a wardrobe and a stool the cabin is more than sufficient for living in but you'll go to one of the public rooms because they are more comfortable for relaxing; If you've got room to sit and spread out you spend more time in the cabin than you do in the public rooms. Afternoon tea in the Queens Room is an experience not to be missed but why should you go there every day when you can order tea and a cake from room service?

This is good information for future voyages, on any cruise line.

It's only true on lines that operate fairly old ships - modern ships (like the QM2) have cabins that are almost identical for the grade.:)

It's only true on lines that operate fairly old ships - modern ships (like the QM2) have cabins that are almost identical for the grade.:)

The only differences I noted were that each one had a different number on the door. Not quite sure why they did that - it spoilt the neat effect of a line of identical doors.

Matthew

I think you might be surprised. I think that the more space you feel you have in your cabin the more inclined you are to spend time in it. If you cabin only has a bed, a dressing table, a wardrobe and a stool the cabin is more than sufficient for living in but you'll go to one of the public rooms because they are more comfortable for relaxing; If you've got room to sit and spread out you spend more time in the cabin than you do in the public rooms.

It's true! When I've been fortunate enough to be in a Q3 cabin (always on Two Deck) I find myself spending a lot of time there; writing cards, reading, etc. Almost the same in P1 P2 & P3 cabins, if a bit less. Interestingly enough, the one time in 1999 that I ended up in a Q2 (8014) I did not feel the same way. It was cold and very grey-formica 1980's.

My C's and M's doubles have been nice for the most part; actually 2089 (C2) was a great cabin in a chi-chi neighborhood but a bit small.

When I once I had an MI on Four Deck alone for a crossing once I was always out of the cabin. Then one night the plumbing burst in the cabin above mine (luckily I was out) and I was moved to a M3 inside double all to myself. I liked it LESS than my MI as the two beds took up all the space!

Bon Voyage!

-Michael

Yes:eek: The chance of you having a similar same cabin on two trips is unlikely. There are some groups of cabins where the layout is similar but not that many. If you book a grill cabin you will get a reasonable standard of accommodation (although some of the cabins are still unusual shapes); if you book a M or C grade you get some very individual shapes:rolleyes:

For example P1s range in size from 221 sq ft to 264 sq ft. A high square footage does not necessarily mean a spacious cabin - the smaller cabins are designed to appear spacious whilst bigger cabins sometimes have wasted space!

2109 is 234 sq ft by the way:)

Hi Malcolm,

Do you know anything about cabin 2070. I'm in it for the last T/A, October 16th next year. Thanks.

Malcolm....just curious to know where one can find those very detailed cabin plans?

Frances - they are somewhere on this site! I know I posted links and instructions on how to download them, but I've just done a quick search and can't find them (Be careful - there are two sets of links the later ones work, the earlier ones don't! The working links will stop in a couple of weeks - I'm going away and it's not worth paying to keep the links available while I'm away). If you drop me an email I can send you copies if you want them.:)

There are some far more detailed plans that come from Myles (Cunardqueen). They show everything - including all the non-passenger decks and accommodation. Unfortunately they are so big that it's just not possible to scan them:(

By using Google search, and up came a Cruise Critic entry where you had posted the links earlier this year!

Appreciate your doing so...and you're right, QE2 cabin layout is completely inconsistent! The cabin right next to ours is MUCH larger. I won't let myself get too het up about it, as it's really not the most important thing!

Frances

Hi Malcolm,

Do you know anything about cabin 2070. I'm in it for the last T/A, October 16th next year. Thanks.

It's a nice cabin. The bed is much larger than a single, and there are two large portholes. As you enter, you have the wardrobe/safe/lifejacket bit to your left. Next left is the bathroom, with a proper bath. Finally you het to the main bit at the end. The plan Malcolm posted is wrong in terms of furniture positioning - the bed is by the outside wall - with a chair, small table, TV stand (I think the 'fridge hides in there) and a chest of drawers. Very pleasant - I did my first crossing in it and liked it very much.

Matthew

Archived