Puerta Maya transportation rental

barbaro_3003

I like to be a little more independent when I visit ports, and to that end I would like to rent either a car or a scooter (please refrain from warning me about scooters. I ride a motorcycle in Atlanta, and have rented scooters in St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Key West, Miami, etc. I know the risks). Every rental place I have looked at are in San Miguel, but our ship is docking at Puerta Maya (about 5 Km away). Are there any rental kiosks/vendors near Puerta Maya? It doesn't make sense to take an $8 taxi there, and and $8 taxi back to rent a $35 car for 5 hours (Ship does not arrive port until 1:30, and everything except bars and restaurants seems to close by 6 PM).

Bonus points for contact information for any rental companies that are either reasonable walking distance from Puerta Maya, or will arrange for a drop-off and pick-up of the vehicle.

Thanks

Eric

I'm not going to warn you against the idea- just a friendly reminder to get ALL the insurance and not rely on the typical in the states "my credit card covers me" unless you have truly researched how it would in Mexico.

You might also make sure to do some research about how accidents are handled (especially if ANY alcohol is involved) both by law and local culture.

I have used Alamo at the port and have it booked again for my upcoming cruise. I book online on the Alamo website. Last month they had a 20% discount rate available for the Puerto Maya pier location. I am paying $103 including ALL insurances for an SUV that holds 5-6 people. However, they had much lower pricing for smaller vehicles. The insurances costs more than the base rate of the vehicle however I always take the full insurance. But, I will be in port 10 hours and want to take my group to the eastern side of the island and also go downtown so this make sense for us. I have travelled by car in most areas of Mexico over the last 30 years and thankfully, have never had an accident or incident. However, the Mexican laws are much different than U.S. and are not to be taken lightly.

Edited by SHayesShip