Celebrity and kids questions

sebonico

Hello, our family 2 boy 3 &6 and grandma are taking the Eastern Med cruise this summer. I truly want the kids to enjoy as much of the cruise as they want. I wanted them to go to one of the formal nights and I was wondering how formal do kids have to be. Would a button down shirt and slacks work or do we need suits?

I picked traditional dining at 6:15. I was wondering if this is too early? The reason I think this may be early is we are planning on touring the ports for 4-5 hours then getting kids back to boat to go swimming or kids club. I am sure they will eat a hamburger or hotdog from the Mast Grill. Should we try and do select dining? Or keep a set schedule?

Any suggestions would be welcome, my final payment is due tomorrow so now I feel like I really need to get organized for the trip.

Personally I would do select dining for the reasons you mentioned- coming back from touring and rushing to get ready. There are also other options like Bistro on Five and Qsine where kids are welcome.

As for formal night- khakis and a sportcoat and clip on tie will suffice for the boys.

The kids will love the Fun Factory and you can leave them onboard if you and your Mom decide to do an excursion that the kids won't like. My son liked Pompeii, Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Olympia and Istanbul but I left him on board in Santorini and shopped, sipped mimosas and had a quiet lunch at a place called CasaBlanca.

I loved the Eastern Med. Have a great cruise.:)

"As for formal night- khakis and a sportcoat and clip on tie will suffice for the boys."

Is this a serious response? Sportcoat and a clip on tie? for a 3 year old?

If you are suggesting this is what he could wear if he wanted to dress up I'd understand. If you are suggesting that this is the MINIMUM he can get by with and still be allowed in the dining room then I am a bit surprised (shocked even!).

So, which is it? A suggestion on how to dress up a little kid or the minimum allowed attire for a 3 year old in the MDR?

We got a little tux for our 15 month old - He and I wore our tuxes for the first formal night. Such great pictures!

The second formal night, we hired a babysitter to watch him in the cabin, and my wife and I had a date night :cool:

We did see many boys in khakis and a button down shirt...

Don't worry - enjoy your cruise!

"As for formal night- khakis and a sportcoat and clip on tie will suffice for the boys."

Is this a serious response? Sportcoat and a clip on tie? for a 3 year old?

If you are suggesting this is what he could wear if he wanted to dress up I'd understand. If you are suggesting that this is the MINIMUM he can get by with and still be allowed in the dining room then I am a bit surprised (shocked even!).

So, which is it? A suggestion on how to dress up a little kid or the minimum allowed attire for a 3 year old in the MDR?

I'm not sure what you are getting at. She asked "how formal" do the children have to be. Naturally if someone wants to wear a tux on formal night- that is fine but a small child with khakis, a sportcoat and clip on tie will be fine. The kids are 3 and 6.

Sorry I wasn't being clear.

Would there be an issue if his 3 year old came to dinner in sweat pants and sneakers?

I am wondering if there is a MANDATORY dress code on Celebrity ships? Not a voluntary "I want to dress up" code.

The op asked about formal nights. To answer your question.. There are casual nights where the minimum is long pants and no flip flops hats or torn jeans or sleeveless shirts for men. Women no flip flops, shorts, torn jeans but capris are fine. Typically on a 7 night cruise there are two casual, two business casual,two semi formal, and one formal night. Jackets are required for semi and formal nights. Will they care if kids don't have jackets? I think kids should comply with the dress code but for this reason my son and I do the specialty restaurants on semi and formal nights because we aren't into dressing up

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We went on the Silhouette with my DD (aged 5 years) and my DS (aged 3 years) in Sept 2012. We went to both formal nights in the MDR and on both occassions my son wore a button down shirt and chinos. We did not see any children his age with suits - we did see a baby with a tux having formal photographs.

Our children had such a wonderful time on this cruise and totally loved the Fun Factory. I'm sure you are going to thoroughly enjoy Celebrity.

"Jackets are required for semi and formal nights."

Excellent. Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

I thought all mass market cruise lines had a "suggested" formal attire specified for the MDR and have now learned that it is more than a suggestion (i.e. - they will not let an adult enter the MDR on formal night without a jacket).

The more you know!

"Jackets are required for semi and formal nights."

Excellent. Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

I thought all mass market cruise lines had a "suggested" formal attire specified for the MDR and have now learned that it is more than a suggestion (i.e. - they will not let an adult enter the MDR on formal night without a jacket).

The more you know!

The OP was specifically asking about her young children. Jackets ARE NOT required in the MDR for children aged 3 and 6 years.